The giant is here: Velodyne DLS 5000R 15" Monster

H

HTfan14

Audioholic Intern
Soooooo, where the pics of the sub? Further reviews?:cool:

annunaki

annunaki

In consumerland, Honda = reliability. In F1 land, Honda = exploding engines. :D

That was/is/has been true. With the engine freeze they have been much better. It says to me they are really pushing the envelope with engine development, for F1 that is.

Honda's road cars have phenomenal reliability for engine and drive train as a whole. (...Knocks on wood as I own a Honda)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
That (F1) is a purpose built racecar though. A production sports car doing 0-60 in 2.8 seconds or so is VERY impressive.
That is very impressive, as my Motorcycle does exactly that, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds with 1300cc 150hp...

I love motorsports... in fact my Moto is

If it doesn't have a motor, Its not a sport !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
annunaki

annunaki

A bike and the Atom are the closest thing available the average consumer can experience that are remotely close to F1 type acceleration. Unfortunately there is nothing available that will brake or corner like an F1 car.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That is very impressive, as my Motorcycle does exactly that, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds with 1300cc 150hp...

I love motorsports... in fact my Moto is

If it doesn't have a motor, Its not a sport !!!
Really? I thought they were called ENGINES! Motors don't generate their own power.

Continue.

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Soooooo, where the pics of the sub? Further reviews?:cool:
Coming friend. In fact, I think I'm doing a full review with comparisons. I'm not that technically sound in terms of measurement but I do have a good ear and will compare my Energy S10.3 to the 5000r. Pics are coming as well. I'm waiting for my GF to get back from her Montreal trip (Friend's wedding). Her camera is much better than my garbage 1 mpixel.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
A bike and the Atom are the closest thing available the average consumer can experience that are remotely close to F1 type acceleration. Unfortunately there is nothing available that will brake or corner like an F1 car.

You forgot this badboy.

jagxtype

jagxtype

Audioholic
Really? I thought they were called ENGINES! Motors don't generate their own power.

Continue.

SheepStar
Neither do engines hints the gasoline or diesel you put in your tank:rolleyes:
Just like electrical motors use electricity to produce a magnetic field that turns the electrical energy to mechanical energy, Internal Combustion engines use gasoline to create combustion which is heat and then turns thermal energy into mechanical energy. explain to me in terms of relativity how the two differ from one another. According to the law of conservation of energy, you cannot create energy from nothing and energy cannot be destroyed, but only transfered.

I beleive a motor is in part defined as a internal combustion which inpart is defined by engine. An Engine is a MOTOR that uses thermal energy to create mechanical energy. Motors are anything that create motion.

:eek:

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
To get back to the topic at hand,

I have a question. So far, what I really love about the velodyne 5000r is the SLAM it produces. I'm probably using about 1/2 volume and it really outclasses my Energy S10.3 in tactile effects on loud explosions and electronic music. The S10.3 felt weak. Anytime I turned the volume more than 1/2 up, it sounded bloated and boomy.

However, since my room is only about 1400cu/f, I'm wondering whether or not the SVS PB10 NSD would be a better choice for me. It's $499 and I can buy it locally at Sonicboom (authorized dealer) and $50 more than what I paid for the 5000r. I can also return the Velo 5000r within 25 days (from today) to Future Shop. Any advice here? My main concern is that the PB10 will play deeper than the Velodyne and I'm wondering how much I'm missing out in terms of deep bass. Hwoever, I don't want to miss the slam of the Velo. It shakes my room good. ;):eek:

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Just take a look at the rocket engines.

I don't remember the exact numbers. The Titan rocket that sent our spaceship to the moon was the largest rocket ever constructed by man. It has how many fantastically large engines? 4 or 6? I don't remember the exact numbers.

The Soviets tried to duplicate our feat. However, they never overcame the engineering obstacles in designing and building large rocket engines such as the ones used in the Titan rocket. So the Soviets bundled together a whole bunch of smaller engines hoping that will do the job. All of their rockets exploded shortly after take off. That's why the Soviets could never send one of their own to the moon.
This was actually funny sort of like Gilda Radner's Rosann Rosanadanna from 70's SNL because everything within the quotes is seriously very wrong.

The first thing is the rocket we (NASA) sent to the moon was the Saturn, not the Titan. The Titan was the two stage launch vehicle that sent the Gemini Astronauts up. The Titan was also the launch vehicle for the USAs largest ballistic missles. The Titan had two first stage engines, each rated at about 150,000 lbs of thrust barely enough to achieve obital velocity, much less escape velocity and one second stage engine of 80,000 lbs thrust . The Saturn on the other hand was a three stage rocket. The Saturn had five Rocketdyne F1 first stage engines, each of which was rated at 1,500,000 lbs thrust for a total of 7,500,000 lbs thrust. In terms of horsepower, each of the five engines is approximately 32,000,000 BHP. There were also five Rocketdyne J2 second stage engine of 250,000 lbs thrust each, and on Rocketdyne J2 third stage engine.

The Soviets actually landed (crashed) an unmanned vehicle on the moon a couple of years before we got there, and until the Saturn was built had the most powerful rockets. The soviet rockets were not cobbled together but appear that way because of the fluted first stage. The Saturn has a fluted first stage too, but only for the bottom 10 percent while the Soviets was probably about 50% of the first stage length.

All those old movies of rockets exploding. Those are ours (USAs).

jagxtype185 said:
Sheep said:
Originally Posted by Sheep

Continue.

SheepStar
Neither do engines hints the gasoline or diesel you put in your tank
Just like electrical motors use electricity to produce a magnetic field that turns the electrical energy to mechanical energy, Internal Combustion engines use gasoline to create combustion which is heat and then turns thermal energy into mechanical energy. explain to me in terms of relativity how the two differ from one another. According to the law of conservation of energy, you cannot create energy from nothing and energy cannot be destroyed, but only transfered.

I beleive a motor is in part defined as a internal combustion which inpart is defined by engine. An Engine is a MOTOR that uses thermal energy to create mechanical energy. Motors are anything that create motion..
An engine is a motor that consumes fuel. Your dafynition of a motor is correct. An electric motor does not consume fuel but convert energy from one form to another.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

To get back to the topic at hand,

I have a question. So far, what I really love about the velodyne 5000r is the SLAM it produces. I'm probably using about 1/2 volume and it really outclasses my Energy S10.3 in tactile effects on loud explosions and electronic music. The S10.3 felt weak. Anytime I turned the volume more than 1/2 up, it sounded bloated and boomy.

However, since my room is only about 1400cu/f, I'm wondering whether or not the SVS PB10 NSD would be a better choice for me. It's $499 and I can buy it locally at Sonicboom (authorized dealer) and $50 more than what I paid for the 5000r. I can also return the Velo 5000r within 25 days (from today) to Future Shop. Any advice here? My main concern is that the PB10 will play deeper than the Velodyne and I'm wondering how much I'm missing out in terms of deep bass. Hwoever, I don't want to miss the slam of the Velo. It shakes my room good. ;):eek:
That is a small room! The reason the sub is sounding boomy is because it is beginning to overpower everything else in the room (most likely because of room gain). Try backing the gain down a bit on the subwoofer. Calibrate it at high volume so it blends in, if that is where you will use it most. Then relisten to the system and see what you think. Also take into account room placement. double check to make sure it is the best sounding spot in the room. Just because the 10" sounded good there may not mean the 15" will sound good there. The main reason is that the 15" may excite room modes that the 10" simply was not capable of.

jagxtype

jagxtype

Audioholic
This was actually funny sort of like Gilda Radner's Rosann Rosanadanna from 70's SNL because everything within the quotes is seriously very wrong.

The first thing is the rocket we (NASA) sent to the moon was the Saturn, not the Titan. The Titan was the two stage launch vehicle that sent the Gemini Astronauts up. The Titan was also the launch vehicle for the USAs largest ballistic missles. The Titan had two first stage engines, each rated at about 150,000 lbs of thrust barely enough to achieve obital velocity, much less escape velocity and one second stage engine of 80,000 lbs thrust . The Saturn on the other hand was a three stage rocket. The Saturn had five Rocketdyne F1 first stage engines, each of which was rated at 1,500,000 lbs thrust for a total of 7,500,000 lbs thrust. In terms of horsepower, each of the five engines is approximately 32,000,000 BHP. There were also five Rocketdyne J2 second stage engine of 250,000 lbs thrust each, and on Rocketdyne J2 third stage engine.

The Soviets actually landed (crashed) an unmanned vehicle on the moon a couple of years before we got there, and until the Saturn was built had the most powerful rockets. The soviet rockets were not cobbled together but appear that way because of the fluted first stage. The Saturn has a fluted first stage too, but only for the bottom 10 percent while the Soviets was probably about 50% of the first stage length.

All those old movies of rockets exploding. Those are ours (USAs).

An engine is a motor that consumes fuel. Your dafynition of a motor is correct. An electric motor does not consume fuel but convert energy from one form to another.

And what is consumed to produce that electricity? FUEL! An engine can be run off of steam which is directly converting thermal energy into mechanical energy, does this make it a motor? Like said in my previous post, prove to me how they differ using relativity. They do not, so dont waste your time :) Both the steam ENGINE and the electric MOTOR require an external source for their energy which in one way or another comes from a fuel. Even if your using solar energy, the sun has to have fuel :p

Sorry for leading the thread astray, carry on.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Neither do engines hints the gasoline or diesel you put in your tank:rolleyes:

I beleive a motor is in part defined as a internal combustion which inpart is defined by engine. An Engine is a MOTOR that uses thermal energy to create mechanical energy. Motors are anything that create motion.

:eek:
Wrong. Gasoline has no kinetic energy, just potential. The ENGINE converts that potential energy into kinetic energy.

"An engine whose purpose is to produce kinetic energy output from a fuel source is called a prime mover; alternatively, a motor is a device which produces kinetic energy from a preprocessed "fuel" (such as electricity, a flow of hydraulic fluid or compressed air)."

"A car has a starter motor, a windscreen wiper motor, windscreen washer motor, a fuel pump motor and motors to adjust the wing mirrors from within the car and a (motorised) radio antenna - but the power plant that propels the car is an engine."

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
if you said it was the PB12NSD (goes to 18hz), I'd think about it. but the PB10 goes to 20 and i'm not sure if it's that much of a difference with the 5000R ... in a room that small, you'd have room gain up to your neck though :)

i'm using my axiom EP500 as comparison for the PB10NSD.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21574&highlight=axiom+velodyne+ep500
Really? I've seen in room measurements of the PB10 in a bigger room the Bluesmoke's and it went down to 15Hz.

The subwoofer is tuned to 20Hz, but it doesn't crap out there.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Really? I've seen in room measurements of the PB10 in a bigger room the Bluesmoke's and it went down to 15Hz.

The subwoofer is tuned to 20Hz, but it doesn't crap out there.

SheepStar
that's with room gain. i was looking at the svs anechoic graph, if im not mistaken, it's likely SVS is using a subsonic filter on their plate amp.
plus the fact, I dont think that a 10"er should be doing 10hz in significant SPL's anyway.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
that's with room gain. i was looking at the svs anechoic graph, if im not mistaken, it's likely SVS is using a subsonic filter on their plate amp.
plus the fact, I dont think that a 10"er should be doing 10hz in significant SPL's anyway.

That is in a larger room then Bluesmoke's.

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Good god, now I'm confused. So far, I can't complain about the Velo. But I'm seriously considering the PB10 if it can sound better and deeper in my room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis