The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why is it so difficult to find movies with Auro-3D in the USA?
You mean beside the opinion that it’s a dead format? :D

I think Atmos has pretty much won this 3D-sound format war. I am also seeing less of DTS:X.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was trying to find comparisons of the 3 upmixers and didn’t find many articles. One article said DSU upmixer only creates 2 discrete height channels (left side and right side speakers), whereas NeuralX and auro-matic upmixers create 4 discrete height channels. That allows panning front to back and not just left to right…. However, I can’t find any info to back that up. So unsure it’s true or not. LOL :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I was trying to find comparisons of the 3 upmixers and didn’t find many articles. One article said DSU upmixer only creates 2 discrete height channels (left side and right side speakers), whereas NeuralX and auro-matic upmixers create 4 discrete height channels. That allows panning front to back and not just left to right…. However, I can’t find any info to back that up. So unsure it’s true or not. LOL :)

Hmm. I guess I need to try some stuff to see if DSU is using all four speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What was said in the test was that sound was coming from all of the height speakers using dsu, but was not discreet. So, same sounds for those on left side, and same sounds for those on right side. Results may vary for others with different units and testing scenarios, I’m sure.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What was said in the test was that sound was coming from all of the height speakers using dsu, but was not discreet. So, same sounds for those on left side, and same sounds for those on right side. Results may vary for others with different units and testing scenarios, I’m sure.
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Either way I purchased the Spectre 4K disc and NeuralX is awesome. I just wish they had made the movie in Atmos or DTSX in the first place. :)

Last edited:
S

Shenandoah

Audiophyte
That is great !... And I know where I can get some very expensive in wall speakers for CHEAP !. .. because most people don't want to cut rectangle holes in their wall .. I change configurations too often.. so much fun spending hours and hours setting up the " this is going to be the best layout yet ".. I want to spend my time fine tuning my system, not patching and painting drywall .. why I ever thought in wall had to be in a wall..that's why the resale value is so low.. time for me to take advantage .. seem some episode HT 700's ( might have the model wrong.. look at so many speakers ..I get confused )3 of them and a Sub for $450.!..

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
@AcuDefTechGuy -

It probably shapes one's opinion of Auro-3D to actually have it. ;)

Two of Yamaha's new receivers add Auro-3D for the first time.

Meanwhile, I've got Boss Level coming in Auro-3D and Twister comes out in an Atmos/Auro 2-pack on August 28th from Turbine. (That will be my 17th Auro-3D movie plus I have several music albums).

I just got Dragonheart and Daylight in Auro-3D a few months ago and they just passed 100 music albums in Auro-3D. Odd for a dead format.

Given how bad most Atmos movies are in terms of quality, I'd say the best shot a competitor could have is simply to make more immersive soundtracks than these Dolby Crapmos examples.

(Site still gives me problems)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy -

It probably shapes one's opinion of Auro-3D to actually have it. ;)

Two of Yamaha's new receivers add Auro-3D for the first time.

Meanwhile, I've got Boss Level coming in Auro-3D and Twister comes out in an Atmos/Auro 2-pack on August 28th from Turbine. (That will be my 17th Auro-3D movie plus I have several music albums).

I just got Dragonheart and Daylight in Auro-3D a few months ago and they just passed 100 music albums in Auro-3D. Odd for a dead format.

Given how bad most Atmos movies are in terms of quality, I'd say the best shot a competitor could have is simply to make more immersive soundtracks than these Dolby Crapmos examples.

(Site still gives me problems)
You are the Auro3D/DTSX/Atmos Master!

I am happy enough with just Atmos with a little sprinkle of DTSX. :D

I am not the kind guy who would upgrade an AVR/AVP just for Auro3D or 8K Video. :D

But I am glad that Yamaha has added Auro3D to the features list and also DTSX Pro down the line per Phil Shea of Yamaha.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
The Shadow comes out in Auro3D in October (From France by the same people that did The Game in Auro with Michael Douglas).

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just watched Monster Hunter

The plot was okaaay standard but okay when it was the 2 of them after her team got killed but it got cheesy at the end when the rest of the people showed up. The monsters were cool

But Milla is still frikkin hot man. The atmos was a lot of fun. And the bass was insane

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Got lucky and scored at my CD EXCHANGE the 4k atmos version of Judge Dredd

Not the Sylvestor Stallone crap

The only one that mattered the Karl Urban remake

Man it kicks ass I love that movie pacing action very graphic with the violence and dark with the story line like the novels

Soundtrack killer audio killer just a great movie I don't get tired off.

The visuals are an improvement especially with colors

The audio the atmos is not the best but it really creates more immersion and is very detailed and the bass is flicking insane!!! Score a copy of this one if you can find one!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Man it kicks ass I love that movie pacing action very graphic with the violence and dark with the story line like the novels

The audio the atmos is not the best but it really creates more immersion and is very detailed and the bass is flicking insane!!! Score a copy of this one if you can find one!
That's a bad ass movie. Rumor has it Alex Garland "shadow" directed it for some reason. That dude makes some interesting stuff.

Too bad they can't get the next movie financed or whatever the reason is. The cast is supposedly down for another one. At least Karl Urban is.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

I have to see that one soon. Maybe I can find a used one. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Cool song by Anthrax about Dredd.
I am the law.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis