The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It might be just me but after changing from 5.1 to 5.1.4, I don’t need center spread turned on for DSU on 2ch music anymore. Maybe it just balances better this way when heights are in use.

And I still think NeuralX has a little too heavy of center channel use on 2ch music upmixing.
Yeah nothing's perfect. NeuralX works better for some, DSU works better for some. But they are both a lot better than their predecessors.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Well, things are shaping up. I got the new UHD Player installed yesterday and the heights finally showed up this afternoon. I have to work today and tomorrow but, hope to have it all calibrated and up and running by the weekend.

I have accumulated a large selection of Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D discs to test it out including...

Ready Player One 4K
Baby Driver 4K
First Man 4K
ET 4K
The Fifth Element 20th Aniversary Edition 4K
The Darkest Hour 4K
Overlord 4K
Star Trek Kelvin Timeline Trilogy 4K
King Kong Ultimate Edition 4K
Godzilla 4K(New Release)
Kong Skull Island
Godzilla KOTM
Deepwater Horizon
Mad Max Fury Road
13 Hours
Mortal Engines
Wonder Woman
Han Zimmer Live in Prague
Auro 3D Demo Disc
Auro 3D Demo Disc #2
Dolby Atmos Demo Disc 2018
Dolby Atmos Video Demo Disc
THX Calibration Disc

So, I will have some reviews and opinions in short order...

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Senior Audioholic
If you haven't heard Yello's new album Point in Dolby Atmos then you haven't heard Dolby Atmos! It's bar none the most impressive Atmos experience I've yet heard (Books Shade's two Atmos albums aren't too far off, but the music isn't as good, IMO).

No Atmos movie even comes close! The rear surrounds (if you have a 7.1 or greater base layer) are used almost as much as the front mains and overheads are pretty much on constantly. If you ever thought rears weren't worth bothering, you'd change your mind with these albums.

Steven Wilson's The Future Bites is also pretty good in Atmos. I've got Gordon Goodwin's The Gordian Knot is on order as well (Contains both Atmos and Auro-3D mixes).

I've pretty much switched over to Atmos and surround music lately as the movies are often a big letdown in Atmos (e.g. Knives Out sucked in Atmos except for where the board fell on the floor above). I just got Wonder Woman 1984 3D in with Atmos remuxed to it, though (haven't watched it yet, though).

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Field Marshall
I listen to it about once a week. The disc is pricey so just via Tidal so far. Enjoy the entire album. “Way Down” is my jam.:)

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Senior Audioholic
I picked up Yello's Point album in Atmos on Bluray from jpc.de for about $32 USD shipped (VAT is removed for US customers). Worth every penny. I typically play it at -3dB relative to the Dolby calibration level. Just awesome.

My favorite track is probably Big Boys Blues, especially where that one sound flies straight from the center speaker to the rear center (phantom). It passes literally just over my head. Freakishly realistic sounding at the MLP.

Way Down is also excellent, though, especially where it moves from the ceiling straight downward across the entire room to the bed layer. You don't hear much Atmos vertical panning like that! There's that nice diagonal plane flyover from an odd angle (above my front wides diagonally to between the sides and rear overhead) on Rush For Joe.

Hot Pan! Popcorn!

(I really need my account wiped and start over. The site still doesn't load right when I'm logged in half the time regardless of the device/browser used to access it; it loads instantly if I'm not logged in so there must be something corrupt, but I cannot imagine what since it does work if I keep reloading)

M

Movie2099

Senior Audioholic
I picked up Yello's Point album in Atmos on Bluray from jpc.de for about $32 USD shipped (VAT is removed for US customers). Worth every penny. I typically play it at -3dB relative to the Dolby calibration level. Just awesome.

My favorite track is probably Big Boys Blues, especially where that one sound flies straight from the center speaker to the rear center (phantom). It passes literally just over my head. Freakishly realistic sounding at the MLP.

Way Down is also excellent, though, especially where it moves from the ceiling straight downward across the entire room to the bed layer. You don't hear much Atmos vertical panning like that! There's that nice diagonal plane flyover from an odd angle (above my front wides diagonally to between the sides and rear overhead) on Rush For Joe.

Hot Pan! Popcorn!

(I really need my account wiped and start over. The site still doesn't load right when I'm logged in half the time regardless of the device/browser used to access it; it loads instantly if I'm not logged in so there must be something corrupt, but I cannot imagine what since it does work if I keep reloading)
Besides Oh Yeah, Si Senor the hairy grill is an excellent song! My Uncle introduced me to that song in the early 90’s.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hot Pan! Popcorn!:D “Hot Pan” is fun. “ Waba Duba” has great deep bass at the end that comes over in a wave, kinda’ cool. “Arthur Spark” is a close second for favorite. Lots of cool elevated sound going on there that moves all around.

Hendrik Zefiro

Hendrik Zefiro

Audiophyte

Hot Pan! Popcorn!

If you haven't heard Yello's new album Point in Dolby Atmos then you haven't heard Dolby Atmos! It's bar none the most impressive Atmos experience I've yet heard (Books Shade's two Atmos albums aren't too far off, but the music isn't as good, IMO).

No Atmos movie even comes close! The rear surrounds (if you have a 7.1 or greater base layer) are used almost as much as the front mains and overheads are pretty much on constantly. If you ever thought rears weren't worth bothering, you'd change your mind with these albums.

Steven Wilson's The Future Bites is also pretty good in Atmos. I've got Gordon Goodwin's The Gordian Knot is on order as well (Contains both Atmos and Auro-3D mixes).

I've pretty much switched over to Atmos and surround music lately as the movies are often a big letdown in Atmos (e.g. Knives Out sucked in Atmos except for where the board fell on the floor above). I just got Wonder Woman 1984 3D in with Atmos remuxed to it, though (haven't watched it yet, though).
I completely agree. The Point album by Yello is really one of the best in Dolby Atmos. The Wolf album by Matt Darey (which is one of the few downloadable albums in Dolby Atmos) comes very very close, like Morgenstund by Schiller. Hope that much more Dolby Atmos music will be released. Preferably in M2TS (based on Dolby True HD).

Last edited:

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis