The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My phone has an Atmos mode lol. To be honest, it DOES expand the sound rather nicely. I don't watch video on my phone aside from various youtube clips, and very rarely. Music seems to benefit from it as well though and I use my phone for music all the time.

Atmos itself is NOT a marketing thing. It really does add a lot to films. Dolby is and isn't part of the problem. They develop the tech and license it out with the idea that it will improve things for users. The end result though is that it does just become little more than a buzzword to sell products and that is definitely a big fat marketing scheme. There are different features for different products, so a generic label of "Atmos" doesn't really tell you exactly what you're getting, which means as always with consumer products: buyer beware. Dolby has the right idea but they can't control what happens once they license it out to those companies who are just looking for a label on the box.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My phone has an Atmos mode lol. To be honest, it DOES expand the sound rather nicely. I don't watch video on my phone aside from various youtube clips, and very rarely. Music seems to benefit from it as well though and I use my phone for music all the time.

Atmos itself is NOT a marketing thing. It really does add a lot to films. Dolby is and isn't part of the problem. They develop the tech and license it out with the idea that it will improve things for users. The end result though is that it does just become little more than a buzzword to sell products and that is definitely a big fat marketing scheme. There are different features for different products, so a generic label of "Atmos" doesn't really tell you exactly what you're getting, which means as always with consumer products: buyer beware. Dolby has the right idea but they can't control what happens once they license it out to those companies who are just looking for a label on the box.

I agree J.
I just watched Finch in Atmos. Fantastic. That’s all I can say.
Now I’m trying some “spacial music” on my atv 4K. Wow. That’s all I can say. I’ve tried Taylor swift, post Malone, the weekend, rush, Pearl
Jam, lorde, the Beatles bastille and Pink Floyd so far. I’m hearing songs I’ve loved for a long time in a whole new way. For example, as a life long drummer I’ve listened to Tom Sawyer at least 10,000 times lol. Never heard it like this.
Some choices are…interesting.
But. I. Love. It.
FWIW my system is 7.3.4

Unfortunately the marketing part just plain sucks and is misleading. It’s too bad because while my system is pedestrian compared to some, I’ve had some great experiences with Atmos here, and in friends homes too.
Edit: Have to add. While typing this, the bastille track was playing and there was some weird boop boop sound effects that were bouncing back and forth just barely over my head.
So good….

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve been tryin’ to tell ya’, lol. “Tom Sawyer” was one I was really excited to hear when I saw it. Now, go listen to Yello’s “Point” album and Booka Shade’s “Galvany Street” and “Dear Future Self” albums. Oh, and “Weird Science” by Oingo Boingo. Oh, and you must listen to a Bollywood song, “Jaayne Kyon Log Pyar.” The bass will loosen anything you’ve trying to pass lately.:oops:

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve been tryin’ to tell ya’, lol. “Tom Sawyer” was one I was really excited to hear when I saw it. Now, go listen to Yello’s “Point” album and Booka Shade’s “Galvany Street” and “Dear Future Self” albums. Oh, and Weird Science” by Oingo Boingo. Oh, and you must listen to a Bollywood song, “Jaayne Kyon Log Pyar.” The bass will loosen anything you’ve trying to pass lately.:oops:
Nice. I’ve seen one poster really pushing Yellos stuff, AND booka shade.
Are these available on Apple Music? The “other guy” said he bout them on disk. I have no problems with that. Would just be nice if they were more readily available.
You should link tue Bollywood to the sub candy thread. Jus sayin…

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Atmos music is where it's at I can't stop listening to it. Riders on the Storm and Staying Alive just sounded so damn cool I'm getting ready to do another jam session
Yeah, I was surprised at how good it is. I was afraid it might be cheesy with oddly placed sounds. But for the most part I haven’t heard much of that. Mostly just very immersive playback. I love being able to pick out instruments and sounds this way too.
We need to start a seperate thread for atmos music on Tidal and other platforms so everyone can get great Playlist off each other
1, 2, 3…..GO!!!
Would be cool indeed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
An unexpected one that I found, I was just throwing some older discs in because I was moving my media to a new location. I threw in U2 Under A Blood Red Sky, which the DVD has a DTS track. The system automatically applied DTS-X extension. I was surprised and it sounded pretty cool. More of a "you are there" feel, spacious and realistic. Ended up leaving it on for the whole thing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just tried dear future self a little bit. The opening of track two has this weird recurring sound that seems…wet? Anyway in my room, I can hear it right on the top of my head, and I keep thinking my neck is gonna get soaked. Like someone is pouring water down my back. What a trip!!!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There is a lot going on in the Weird Science song in Atmos on Apple Music. :)

What’s strange is finding Atmos stuff. It’s not labeled very well. It’s like I come across it randomly.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I see, you are searching through the “spatial audio” sections. What I also get is it randomly picking Atmos titles if I’m listening to something and the album ends and it’s in an auto play type function. Or even listening to an album and one song is in Atmos on that album. That’s what I mean by random. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, sometimes a track is included in a Spatial Audio playlist and is the only atmos track on the actual album. That is the case with “Weird Science.”

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There’s a lot more songs in Atmos then there were a few months ago.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It interesting how some mixes are absolutely worthless but others really work well.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
This music is pretty much totally out of character for me, but I have managed to collect about 8 of their albums. Perhaps it's the judicious use of contrabass on some songs/albums, for one, the often, ridiculous lyrics, that are kind of just there sometimes, too. Either way, I dig their sound. After looking up some of their live shows, they have quite a stage production, and the use of real instruments as well as synth. Just fun stuff, and my subs like it too. Really sounds good coming out of my Paul Carmody Classix2s, and my Tempests too, for that matter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pirates of the Caribbean- Curse of the Black Pearl (COTBP) 2003, 4K Atmos.

Atmos SQ: I had to INCREASE THE VOLUME BY 9dB. But after that, SQ is pretty good. I think better than most so-called Atmos contents. I heard plenty of overhead sounds - mainly water splashes, but other things also. I can’t put it in my “Reference Atmos” list because they could have done even better. But still solid overall.

PQ: I think PQ of COTBP is very good, but not nearly as awesome as “Dead Men Tell No Tales” (DMTNT). COTBP was shot on analog films, while DMTNT was shot using 4K Digital Cameras.

Pirates - On Stranger Tides (OST) was shot using 5K digital cameras, so I look forward to the 4K Atmos release of OST.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis