The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy Any specific movie scenes for setting up Atmos and DTSX that you would recommend to try first?

I haven’t committed to cutting into my ceiling yet but I have front and rear height speakers I am going to setup for 5.1.4.

I have most of the movies discussed in this thread and on your list in your signature.
Blade Runner 2049, Pacific Rim, Godzilla King of Monsters, Gravity are good.

Pet Sematary 2019 has that one extremely creepy ATMOS ceiling scene where the sister is crawling on the 2nd floor and you can hear her move all around the ceiling! :D

The Matrix Reloaded toward the end has the awesome scene where the hovercraft is hovering above Neo & Trinity. Your entire ceiling will come ALIVE! :D

As always, I think you have to increase the channel trim levels for Atmos speakers because they are often too low.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Blade Runner 2049, Pacific Rim, Godzilla King of Monsters, Gravity are good.

Pet Sematary 2019 has that one extremely creepy ATMOS ceiling scene where the sister is crawling on the 2nd floor and you can hear her move all around the ceiling! :D

The Matrix Reloaded toward the end has the awesome scene where the hovercraft is hovering above Neo & Trinity. Your entire ceiling will come ALIVE! :D

As always, I think you have to increase the channel trim levels for Atmos speakers because they are often too low.
Hoping FedEx shows up with my other 2 speakers today. Tracking says it will. Just have 2 at the moment to work with. I couldn’t find another pair of Canton AR800 yet so my other pair will be SVS Elevations. I’ll temp them up with wires down the walls then run attic wire after I know they are in a good spot. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hoping FedEx shows up with my other 2 speakers today. Tracking says it will. Just have 2 at the moment to work with. I couldn’t find another pair of Canton AR800 yet so my other pair will be SVS Elevations. I’ll temp them up with wires down the walls then run attic wire after I know they are in a good spot. :)
I think all you need are 2 Atmos ceiling speakers to CONVINCE you.

Sure, having 4 ceiling speakers is nice, but based on my experience over the past 2 years, even 2 ceiling speakers (with GOOD Trim Volume) will make you believe! :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Sure, having 4 ceiling speakers is nice, but based on my experience over the past 2 years, even 2 ceiling speakers (with GOOD Trim Volume) will make you believe! :D
Agreed. I'm glad I went with 4 overhead.

I did recently purchase some Atmos speakers that sit on top of my towers and bounce off the ceiling. So, in my office, I'll have 5.1.4. I'm interested to see how well it does/doesn't work. I was lucky and got a 50% discount for the modules that go with my current office speakers.

Just need to get a new receiver at some point.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just with 2 Atmos I can tell the difference. Should have 4 later today. Been watching John Wick. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just with 2 Atmos I can tell the difference. Should have 4 later today. Been watching John Wick. :)
None of the John Wick movies made it on my Atmos Sound list. So if you're impressed with John Wick's ATMOS, just wait until you watch the other movies that actually have GREAT Atmos sound! :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
None of the John Wick movies made it on my Atmos Sound list. So if you're impressed with John Wick's ATMOS, just wait until you watch the other movies that actually have GREAT Atmos sound! :D
Will watch Pacific Rim and Bladerunner 2049 next. I’ve also got Black Hawk Down 4K. And many more. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy Mad Max Fury Road didn’t make your list?
Mad Max Fury road didn't quite make my list. Perhaps I wasn't being very generous when I was watching Mad Max.:D

I loved the movie, though.

IIRC, the PQ was awesome, and the SQ was overall pretty good, but the ceiling speakers for Atmos was NOT as active as most of the movies that made my list.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Pacific Rim 2013 is amazing!!! They really did well on that one! :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looking for a DTSX disc. I have Van Helsing 4K. Will try that one

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Still looking for a good disc on DTSX that compares to Pacific Rim Atmos or Matrix Atmos.

Van Helsing DTSX doesn’t seem as dramatic as Pacific Rim or Matrix Atmos but still sounds very good.

I ordered a copy of Atomic Blonde DTSX.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

This is exactly what I warned you about, now your attention is being drawn to the ceiling or heights, you're always looking out for sounds there. That can have the effect of drawing you of a movie because the sound is not seamless and could act as a distraction.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What are people’s thoughts on Netflix Atmos (over DD+) ? I can get that to work on my Apple TV 4K but it for some reason is not supported on my Firestick 4K. I guess if I like it I can either get the 2019 Fire cube 4K (which does support Netflix Atmos) or try to teach the fam how to use the Apple TV (not likely). Or be the remote for everyone. LOL :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Still looking for a good disc on DTSX that compares to Pacific Rim Atmos or Matrix Atmos.

Van Helsing DTSX doesn’t seem as dramatic as Pacific Rim or Matrix Atmos but still sounds very good.

I ordered a copy of Atomic Blonde DTSX.
Atomic blonde. Great dts-x track. It much extension though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are people’s thoughts on Netflix Atmos (over DD+) ? I can get that to work on my Apple TV 4K but it for some reason is not supported on my Firestick 4K. I guess if I like it I can either get the 2019 Fire cube 4K (which does support Netflix Atmos) or try to teach the fam how to use the Apple TV (not likely). Or be the remote for everyone. LOL :)
I think the only Netflix content that had great Atmos effects is “Another Life” TV series.

But most of the so-called Atmos soundtracks I’ve seen from Netflix are more like FakeMos because I can’t hear any Atmos effects. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve got all 4 installed now. Watched Pacific Rim again. I just can’t get enough of that movie. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as upmixing I tried streaming Bumblebee on Prime in DD+. The NeuralX upmixer seems to work better for me than DSU. I’m in a 5.1.4 setup. Yamaha RXV2060 is the AVR.

But I still like DSU for music so far with center spread.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As far as upmixing I tried streaming Bumblebee on Prime in DD+. The NeuralX upmixer seems to work better for me than DSU. I’m in a 5.1.4 setup. Yamaha RXV2060 is the AVR.

But I still like DSU for music so far with center spread.
I think that's the general consensus - NeuralX for Movies and DSU for Music (but I like NeuralX for both :D).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis