The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Kong Skull Island
Thanks for the reply. It's on my Amazon wish list but, not available right now and it looks like BestBuy is sold out too. I haven't seen the first one(Peter Jackson's) though so maybe I will get the 4K Ultimate version of that and start there...

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I have been accumulating a collection of movies with an Atmos track that I haven't yet seen for when I get it finished. So far I have...

Godzilla 4K/Atmos Remaster(pre-ordered)
Godzilla King of the Monsters
First Man
Ready Player One
Mortal Engines
Mad Max Fury Road
Hans Zimmer Live in Prague

Of those which would be best to start with?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have been accumulating a collection of movies with an Atmos track that I haven't yet seen for when I get it finished. So far I have...

Godzilla 4K/Atmos Remaster(pre-ordered)
Godzilla King of the Monsters
First Man
Ready Player One
Mortal Engines
Mad Max Fury Road
Hans Zimmer Live in Prague

Of those which would be best to start with?
RP1. Excellent sound track, and overall film.
Also, I love Peter Jackson’s King King so that would be a good start imo too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I'm finally getting into the Atmos game and looking forward to it. I have been slowly building and refining a brand new 5.2.4 setup for the last year and the last pieces(for now lol) including 4 heights should be here within two weeks. What would you guys suggest for the first movie?
I am going to say Ready Player One. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
RP1. Excellent sound track, and overall film.
Also, I love Peter Jackson’s King King so that would be a good start imo too.
Ok, thank you for the recommendations. I put both KK and Skull Island on my list. I have some others too but, we have already seen them and the GF isn't big on re-watching movies so I figured I would pick up a selection of new ones in anticipation.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you are adding to your wishlist, you should also add Pacific Rim (from 2013) in UHD. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I am going to say Ready Player One. :)
Thanks for the reply and that's two votes for RP1 as our first Atmos experience. I also have a bunch of demo discs coming(Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D) but, I have a feeling they won't get here in time.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
If you are adding to your wishlist, you should also add Pacific Rim (from 2013) in UHD. :)
Yes, I have heard good things and put it on a while back. What about the second one? Worth it if I can get it cheaply enough?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I have heard good things and put it on a while back. What about the second one? Worth it if I can get it cheaply enough?
I still need to rewatch the 2nd one after adding my Atmos speakers. It sounds like I also need to rewatch Kong Skull Island first. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I still need to rewatch the 2nd one after adding my Atmos speakers. It sounds like I also need to rewatch Kong Skull Island first. :)
I'll hold off for now. Any idea if the BR version of PR has the Atmos track? And yes, KSI is supposed to have great Atmos I hear, same with Godzilla KOTM...

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'll hold off. Any idea if the BR version of PR has the Atmos track? And yes, KSI is supposed to have great Atmos I hear, same with Godzilla KOTM...
Godzilla KOTM I really enjoyed as well. Definitely get that one too.

You can look up titles on Blu-ray.com in the top search field to see which have Atmos on regular Blu-ray.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ready Player One has Atmos on the regular Blu-ray. So does Kong Skull Island.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Godzilla KOTM I really enjoyed as well. Definitely get that one too.

You can look up titles on Blu-ray.com in the top search field to see which have Atmos on regular Blu-ray.
Yep, I actually have it sitting right in front of me on BR(it showed up from Amazon today) but, I'm guessing I should watch the first one before it?

Thanks, didn't know about that. I'm an Atmos rookie lol.

Last edited:
T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Ready Player One has Atmos on the regular Blu-ray. So does Kong Skull Island.
Ok, good to know. I already bought RP1 in 4K but, maybe I will save a buck on KSI. I am still running an old 52" 1080p Samsung so I have been buying just BR. But, one of the things comimg with my new heights is a Panasonic DP-UB820 so, I can buy 4K now for when I get a new TV. I will still only buy the really good movies in 4K though as they are often 3 times the price.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, good to know. I already bought RP1 in 4K but, maybe I will save a buck on KSI. I am still running an old 52" 1080p Samsung so I have been buying just BR. But, one of the things comimg with my new heights is a Panasonic DP-UB820 so, I can buy 4K now for when I get a new TV. I will still only buy the really good movies in 4K though as they are often 3 times the price.
I bought quite a few 4K titles the past few years used from sellers on Amazon. That’s another option.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I bought quite a few 4K titles the past few years used from sellers on Amazon. That’s another option.
Any issues? I have looked at the used stuff a number of times and always wondered if it would be ok. Some of the 4K titles are crazy expensive when most are available on the streaming services already too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Any issues? I have looked at the used stuff a number of times and always wondered if it would be ok. Some of the 4K titles are crazy expensive when most are available on the streaming services already too.
No issues but I pick sellers with 95% or better ratings. I do the same with used 5.1 SACD discs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, a lot of 4K titles are too expensive. Also, I don’t what your subs are, but some of the 4K disks roll
Off earlier than their BD counterparts. That drives me NUTS!
Also, the Harry Potter series was re-released with DTS-X.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Yeah, a lot of 4K titles are too expensive. Also, I don’t what your subs are, but some of the 4K disks roll
Off earlier than their BD counterparts. That drives me NUTS!
Also, the Harry Potter series was re-released with DTS-X.
Yep, they sure are. That I didn't know and it's unfortunate(my subs are Paradigm Defiance X12's). I may get into the BEQ thing eventually if I get motivated anyway.

Good to know about the HP series. I need to get a few good DTS-X and Auro 3D examples as well to try.

Thanks for your help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis