The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any excuse for listening to Fear Inoculum... Love that album! :)

I need to dust off the RSL C34E and install them next week. :)
Yeah, it’s definitely a masterpiece. I love it.

And yes. Yes you do need to dust em off, and get em in!!!

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
We are the leading edge of the technology on this forum.:eek: The vast majority care nothing about 8K, 4K, 1080, Atmos, DTS:X or anything else. They watch on old tvs, radios and 6" smart phones and 10" tablets. Billions don't a have access to little more than OTA channels. They might have a 4K, atmos capable phone or tablet, but watching Netflix on that is in no way, a Hi-Def or HD audio experience. Sending it wireless to frankly sub par speaker simply makes matters worse.
In this respect I am a Luddite. For me, while I can, I will continue purchase Dvds, boxsets and Blurays, even the odd CD. I want to own, not be subject to arbitrary decisions or bankruptcy regarding availability. I see zero point in shelling out the same money for a digital copy, if someone else can decide if I can watch it down the line. Content comes and goes, in and out of favour on services and those same services can disappear. Most of it is rubbish anyway. I watch Netflix, Prime and Now TV in our country for special things and to fall asleep to. :p I am not buying into Apple and Disney+, Hulu, et al and watch money go down the drain each month there too. I have thousands films, ten of thousands of hours in video, film and music to chose from at a moments notice, in mono, stereo, surround, Atmos, Dts:X and upmix it at will to DSU, or DTS Neural. If the optical formats dies out you will be at their mercy and pricing, I do not intend to be in the same boat.

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
Leave 2-channel music alone. Don't need DTS-X Neural nor Dolby Up-mixer. How about just putting better amps in AVR's.

Dolby Atmos music:eek:, you're killing me.
We all have our opinions. I don't share yours.
Yes,, Atmos immersive native mastered releases, bring them on.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Any user experiences with upfiring Atmos speakers versus simply having heights angled? I realize in-ceiling is the main suggestion. However, I've read and watched some review tests that really sort of leaned towards in-ceiling and heights angled in corners sounding close enough that it was hard to make a real suggestion other than conceptual. Obviously all of it is anecdotal. I'm curious if anyone has measured Atmos using different placement method? I would think upfiring reflection would be the worst method of experiencing Atmos. But obviously it's also the most practical for home end-users.

Thoughts?

Very best,

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
8k is just stupid. The majority of TVs actually in homes isn’t 4K yet, and the added resolution isn’t effective at normal viewing distances anyway. HDR is more beneficial so it’s frustrating to see any mention of 8k when the adoption rate of 4K is still like 30% and a lot of people don’t even really care. It’s just a number. Oooh! 4K!!! Must be better than 2k.
I'll have you know that 8k is 100% necessary for when I plan to sit 6 inches from my 120 inch screen. If I can see an individual pixel, I'm gonna be pissed. I also plan for my 8k PJ to have at LEAST 10000 nits so I can make my eyes bleed.

Good times.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, would an 8K oled TV not be able to display a passive 3D image in 4K at 60fps? I thought the first batch of LG oleds with passive 3D could display 3D blu-rays in their complete resolution. Is it not possible for a future 8K TV to display passive 3D for the future UHD 3D disc that will save the optical disc format? Hey, I can dream. I can also start saving up now if that is the case. :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have you know that 8k is 100% necessary for when I plan to sit 6 inches from my 120 inch screen. If I can see an individual pixel, I'm gonna be pissed. I also plan for my 8k PJ to have at LEAST 10000 nits so I can make my eyes bleed.
For me, 8K isn't about 8K TV, 8K PJ, or 8K BD. It's about getting the best possible digital SOURCE, which translates to an awesome 2K and 4K PQ on BD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Any user experiences with upfiring Atmos speakers versus simply having heights angled? I realize in-ceiling is the main suggestion. However, I've read and watched some review tests that really sort of leaned towards in-ceiling and heights angled in corners sounding close enough that it was hard to make a real suggestion other than conceptual. Obviously all of it is anecdotal. I'm curious if anyone has measured Atmos using different placement method? I would think upfiring reflection would be the worst method of experiencing Atmos. But obviously it's also the most practical for home end-users.

Thoughts?

Very best,
I think most of us must feel that those up-firing modules are a gimmick for purely making money.

And on-wall height speakers firing down can be as good as in-ceiling speakers depending on the setup.

For example, height speakers will probably not sound as good in a 30FT x 40FT x 14FT-ceiling room because you're probably sitting 25 FT away from the height speakers, which can make it more difficult to hear them.

But if your room is only 14x17x9 FT ceiling, it means you're probably only sitting 8FT away from the height speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For me, 8K isn't about 8K TV, 8K PJ, or 8K BD. It's about getting the best possible digital SOURCE, which translates to an awesome 2K and 4K PQ on BD.
I agree with that, but you know very well that a lot of current 4k isn't even filmed with 4k or above cameras. I think that if everything were, then we'd have a big quality jump without having to up resolution.

Sadly, 8k will be a marketing gimmick to sell more TVs as opposed to what you and I want, and that's better quality video recordings.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, would an 8K oled TV not be able to display a passive 3D image in 4K at 60fps? I thought the first batch of LG oleds with passive 3D could display 3D blu-rays in their complete resolution. Is it not possible for a future 8K TV to display passive 3D for the future UHD 3D disc that will save the optical disc format? Hey, I can dream. I can also start saving up now if that is the case. :p
3D, are you kidding me! I thought we already read 3D its last rites.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Good times.

L. M. A. O.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I think most of us must feel that those up-firing modules are a gimmick for purely making money.

And on-wall height speakers firing down can be as good as in-ceiling speakers depending on the setup.

For example, height speakers will probably not sound as good in a 30FT x 40FT x 14FT-ceiling room because you're probably sitting 25 FT away from the height speakers, which can make it more difficult to hear them.

But if your room is only 14x17x9 FT ceiling, it means you're probably only sitting 8FT away from the height speakers.
Thanks, that seems to be what I'm finding in the vast opinions out there.

I don't want to do in-ceiling and the idea of hanging bookshelves overhead seems pretty tacky, but in the height position and angled with positional braces would be a great compromise, so that's likely what I'll plan around.

Very best,

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Thoughts?

Very best,
Dolby Enabled, or DE speakers are very largely hit or miss. Mostly miss imo. The biggest problems people face, aside from the obvious is that there’s a LOT of geometry involved. You’re basically making a “bank shot”(think pool), from a speaker to your ears. This might sound simple but it definitely is not. This a diagram I made for another thread showing how different speaker heights and LP distances can affect the modules. I’m also sure they’re not all equal either. Just like anything else. Lol

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Thanks, that seems to be what I'm finding in the vast opinions out there.

I don't want to do in-ceiling and the idea of hanging bookshelves overhead seems pretty tacky, but in the height position and angled with positional braces would be a great compromise, so that's likely what I'll plan around.

Very best,
Well if the industry had open up their collectives minds for a change, we could've had what I think is a better approach to immersive audio, which is Auro-3D.

I will lament the missed opportunity to a more practical approach to immersive audio in the home.

auro-3d-audio-logo-10-1-aaa-5a5fcc6f494ec900379fdde6-fda551fa296640118bc22a061a01d67e.jpg

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well, DVD won’t die and Vinyl is back on the shelf. So, why not 3D?:p
Vinyl is not back, it just a fad among mostly hipsters and some millennials. DVD, Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray obituaries are being written.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well if the industry had open up their collectives minds for a change, we could've had what I think is a better approach to immersive audio, which is Auro-3D.

I will lament the missed opportunity to a more practical approach to immersive audio in the home.

View attachment 37206
Hahahahahaha!
Yeah right. You wouldn’t have adopted that either, and said the industry should’ve gone with Atmos........
Object based audio is far superior(read: has the potential to be if mixers figure out wtf they’re doing).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

View attachment 37206
That’s call “hanging bookshelves OVERHEAD” like grapes hanging from the vines, which he said he does not want either.

And most audio “experts” would not recommend placing the front main speakers that close to the walls and corners as pictured by Auro3D. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis