The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I have gotten so frustrated with surround sound that I will not miss the center spread option. A vast majority of the time, I listen to music in 2CH. Now, even more so. About "pure direct"? I don't use that much either. I frequently use BASS and TREBLE controls - which is an abomination to some audiophiles.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have gotten so frustrated with surround sound that I will not miss the center spread option. A vast majority of the time, I listen to music in 2CH. Now, even more so. About "pure direct"? I don't use that much either. I frequently use BASS and TREBLE controls - which is an abomination to some audiophiles.
Whatever sounds best to you is always the right thing. There’s always at least 2 sides to every story.

Some like Auto room EQ, some like PD, some like manual EQ, some like tones. If it sounds great, then it’s great.

20hurts

20hurts

Audiophyte
Thanks for discussing this subject, I just replaced a Lexicon DC-1 (purchased new in the day) with a Marantz AV7705. There is a update pending. Sounds like I should not do the update.
The DAC's on the Marantz sound much better. But, I loved the way logic 7 processed 2 channel music. I was looking for something equivalent on the Marantz, and have been left wanting.
Any other tips on using the Marantz with 2 channel music would be welcomed.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
While probably not as good in some ways as logic 7, Auromatic 2D will be the closest, DSU even with center spread on is really aggressive. But Auro2D is very subtle (you may not even be able to tell it's on with some music).

Here's a tip for people with a 5.1/7.1: When calibrating your system grab an extra set of speakers (any old junk speakers will be fine, you don't even need to mount them) and plug them in as front heights when calibrating the system. Then unplug them and put them wherever they came from. Since Auromatic never removes any material from the front left and right speakers (one way it maintains the front soundstage so well) you don't need to worry about missing any material.

This lets you use Auromatic 3D instead of 2D so you can adjust it. It sounds the same at the default settings, but you can change them if you like. The strength setting changes the amount of common material put into the center and out of phase material put in the surrounds. You can then adjust it to taste for whatever music you're playing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snowpiercer TV Series (2020, Jennifer Connelly) - 4K, Atmos

I just saw Episode 1 of this series and wanted to give my impression of the Atmos mix.

Overall, I would say the Atmos was aimed at "realism" and not trying to put too much emphasis on the ceiling effects.

So there were some effective overhead effects - when Jennifer Connelly (Mr. Wilford) speaks on the intercom and her voice comes from overhead like in real life. I think she will continue to speak regularly on the intercom in every episode.

Another example was some overhead echo effects inside the train.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey have you seen that movie The Man from Nowhere on Amazon Prime?

It's foreign so you'll need to use English subtitles but man it's one of the better movies Ive seen in a long time it sounded fantastic upmix ed as well

So worth the watch so badass

You gotta check it out when u have time. Tell me what you think
Alright. I watched this movie for 40 minutes and couldn’t take it anymore - had to turn it off forever. :D

Just not my cup of tea. :D

I was really hoping that this would be the first Korean-directed movie that I liked. But the count is still a big zero. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Alright. I watched this movie for 40 minutes and couldn’t take it anymore - had to turn it off forever. :D

Just not my cup of tea. :D

I was really hoping that this would be the first Korean-directed movie that I liked. But the count is still a big zero. :D
Hmmmmmm well we definetly found out where our tastes split down the middle oh well seen any new ones you can recommend? I'm looking for some new stuff to get into

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmmmmm well we definetly found out where our tastes split down the middle oh well seen any new ones you can recommend? I'm looking for some new stuff to get into
Most likely won’t be any Korean-directed contents for me since I’ve never seen anything I liked. :D

Have you seen the new TV series “Snowpiercer” starring Jennifer Connelly? The series is shot with the 6K-Resolution Red Epic Dragon digital camera and mixed with Dolby Atmos.

I loved episode 1. Jennifer Connelly might have something to do with it. :D

The 6K and Atmos also helped.

But so far I love just about everything in this show.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Most likely won’t be any Korean-directed contents for me since I’ve never seen anything I liked. :D

Have you seen the new TV series “Snowpiercer” starring Jennifer Connelly? The series is shot with the 6K-Resolution Red Epic Dragon digital camera and mixed with Dolby Atmos.

I loved episode 1. Jennifer Connelly might have something to do with it. :D

The 6K and Atmos also helped.

But so far I love just about everything in this show.
Which platform is it on? I'll check it out

I just got into a new series I discovered on Netflix called The Method pretty good but I'll need something else over the weekend so I'll definetly check out SnowPiercer

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Which platform is it on? I'll check it out

I just got into a new series I discovered on Netflix called The Method pretty good but I'll need something else over the weekend so I'll definetly check out SnowPiercer
Snowpiercer is on TNT.

Most movies aren't even shot in 4K, much less 6K Digital. Definitely not any TV shows I know of. Not even Game of Thrones was shot in 4K Digital AFAIK.

I think both Equalizer movies and all 3 John Wick movies were shot in 2.8K Digital.

Last edited:
PilotRocker

PilotRocker

Audiophyte
Gene glad to see you have recovered and back in the saddle. As you are most likely aware a few days ago Tidal made available their Dolby Atmos Music Catalog to several devices including the Apple TV 4K. I have been testing for the last two days with my Denon X3600H in a 5.1.4 setup with Klipsch in wall and in ceiling speakers. When playing the Cheryl Crow track I notice that there are no vocals whatsoever coming from the Center Channel. My biggest complaint right now is that the volume of the Atmos tracks is very low. Normally I would list to music thru the Denon at a level between 45-50. For Atmos to get the same volume I need to listen at a volume between 75-80. I am not sure where the problem is. Could be the Apple TV 4K, the Tidal App on the Apple TV or perhaps how the tracks where encoded. The other issue in my opinion with Atmos music through a home theater system is that the listening position for music, in my case, is different than the viewing position for movies and as such the Audyssey calibration is now out of balance. Would appreciate your thoughts on where you think Atmos music is going. Thank you in advance and stay safe and healthy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gene glad to see you have recovered and back in the saddle. As you are most likely aware a few days ago Tidal made available their Dolby Atmos Music Catalog to several devices including the Apple TV 4K. I have been testing for the last two days with my Denon X3600H in a 5.1.4 setup with Klipsch in wall and in ceiling speakers. When playing the Cheryl Crow track I notice that there are no vocals whatsoever coming from the Center Channel. My biggest complaint right now is that the volume of the Atmos tracks is very low. Normally I would list to music thru the Denon at a level between 45-50. For Atmos to get the same volume I need to listen at a volume between 75-80. I am not sure where the problem is. Could be the Apple TV 4K, the Tidal App on the Apple TV or perhaps how the tracks where encoded. The other issue in my opinion with Atmos music through a home theater system is that the listening position for music, in my case, is different than the viewing position for movies and as such the Audyssey calibration is now out of balance. Would appreciate your thoughts on where you think Atmos music is going. Thank you in advance and stay safe and healthy.
It would be interesting to see what @gene thinks about the direction of Atmos music.

Regarding Atmos volume levels, I think many of us have found that we have to increase the speaker channel levels of the ceiling Atmos speakers above the rest of the speakers. I think mine is like 5dB or 6dB higher. Unfortunately there is not a standard.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It would be interesting to see what @gene thinks about the direction of Atmos music.

Regarding Atmos volume levels, I think many of us have found that we have to increase the speaker channel levels of the ceiling Atmos speakers above the rest of the speakers. I think mine is like 5dB or 6dB higher. Unfortunately there is not a standard.
I believe he’s talking about the overall volume with Tidals Atmos presentation. I’ve seen other reports of the same thing, where listeners need to increase the MV a lot higher than normal. From what I’ve seen it’s on tidals end.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe he’s talking about the overall volume with Tidals Atmos presentation. I’ve seen other reports of the same thing, where listeners need to increase the MV a lot higher than normal. From what I’ve seen it’s on tidals end.
Oh that sucks. I hate that too. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis