The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How many people remember cinema SDDS-8, five front channels, two surrounds and the LFE. I wish there was a home version, it would have added a wider soundstage up front, which is much more useful than a bunch distracting overhead sounds, especially as our displays get larger and larger.
1) nobody gives a Fukk. Atmos thread...
2) try DSX wides...
3) pretty sure sdds-8 was only useful in large cinemas.
4) I have an idea. Go find the VHS thread...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Haters gonna hate. :D

I was watching a TV series called “Baghdad Central”. When the helicopters fly overhead, NeuralX delivers again and again and again.

How many times have we seen shows and movies where all kinds of aircrafts fly overhead? Too many to count!

Too many times we don’t even need Atmos. Why? We have NeuralX to the rescue!

But haters gonna hate, but they can’t even admit it. :D
SDDS-8 Cinema speaker configuration:

download.png

I'm just saying, home SDDS-8 would have been sweet.:) AVR manufacturers have been trying to give us a wider front soundstage with ineffective dsp sound modes like "Front wide" [Pioneer] and "70MM" [Yamaha] for years. I believe this would have been more immersive than overheard sounds. The sound would just be so big. I don't even want to get started on how wonderful this format would have been for music, can you imagine.

Well back to Atmos.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
1) nobody gives a Fukk. Atmos thread...
2) try DSX wides...
3) pretty sure sdds-8 was only useful in large cinemas.
4) I have an idea. Go find the VHS thread...
Did you ever experience SDDS-8? This is short diversion, we're going to get back to Atmos, DTS-X and Auro-3D, which you seem to overlook.

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
Expand your mind
Hey that is exactly what we are trying to get you to do, and it's as easy as 5.1.2, to get started!! You can really blow your mind with a full blown setup, but you might hurt yourself

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just saying, home SDDS-8 would have been sweet.:)
I would have welcomed Home Theater SDDS with open arms - as long as everyone else did as well.

And yes, I loved SDDS - Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. I didn’t even have to Google that. I loved SDDS back in the days and wished SDDS would be supported for HT.

Same with Auro3D.

But there is absolutely no point wishing and longing and supporting something that is either dead or almost dead.

No point crying over spilled milk, right?

I supported HD-DVD also. But as soon as BD killed HD-DVD, I supported BD all the way.

If Auro3D and SDDS had won the support from everyone, I would have been among the first in line to support them both. The more the merrier.

So the question is, why the heck are you supporting formats that are either DEAD or practically DEAD?

Almost every new BD that comes out now has Atmos or DTSX, and many old movies are being remastered with either Atmos or DTSX.

But you choose to support the 2 formats that are DEAD.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I would have welcomed Home Theater SDDS with open arms - as long as everyone else did as well.

And yes, I loved SDDS - Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. I didn’t even have to Google that. I loved SDDS back in the days and wished SDDS would be supported for HT.

Same with Auro3D.

But there is absolutely no point wishing and longing and supporting something that is either dead or almost dead.

No point crying over spilled milk, right?

I supported HD-DVD also. But as soon as BD killed HD-DVD, I supported BD all the way.

If Auro3D and SDDS had won the support from everyone, I would have been among the first in line to support them both. The more the merrier.

So the question is, why the heck are you supporting formats that are either DEAD or practically DEAD?

Almost every new BD that comes out now has Atmos or DTSX, and many old movies are being remastered with either Atmos or DTSX.

But you choose to support the 2 formats that are DEAD.
I don't know why some of you are going in so hard on me, my criticism of Atmos is light by comparison to someone like Shadyj. He is spot on when it comes to the pros and cons of Atmos. I can't even get close to explaining it like he does.

Anyway, I didn't need to Google SDDS-8, I actually experienced the format years ago at one my local cinemas. I don't know how old some of the members are so I have to ask the question. Home Auro-3D is dead in the U.S. because of the bully on the block which is Dolby Labs. Home Auro-3D is not dead in Europe, which means it can be done here. I just believe more enthusiasts could enjoy immersive audio using the Auro-3D system as opposed to Dolby.

I never said that Dolby Atmos doesn't sound good or isn't amazing, it's just hard to implement in the home, particularly per Dolby's recommendations. If you and have done so, that's good for you. Not hating at all, I love Dolby Atmos at the cinema, I also like Auro-3D and IMAX Laser.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Hey that is exactly what we are trying to get you to do, and it's as easy as 5.1.2, to get started!! You can really blow your mind with a full blown setup, but you might hurt yourself
My mind is already expanded and is open to Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Auro-3D, can you say the same?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Guys, look at this with an objective and critical mind. This a basic home Auro-3D immersive audio speaker configuration. As you can clearly see, this layout would be much easier to implement in most homes than would be an Atmos system, per their recommendations. No need to cut holes in the ceiling, with exception of the optional VOG. All you need to do is add speakers. With this configuration, you could move them around an experiment with placement. However, with Dolby Atmos in ceiling approach, once you cut holes in the selling, its done. If you don't get it right you're screwed.

auro-3d-audio-logo-10-1-aaa-5a5fcc6f494ec900379fdde6-fda551fa296640118bc22a061a01d67e.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Guys, look at this with an objective and critical mind. This a basic home Auro-3D immersive audio speaker configuration. As you can clearly see, this layout would be much easier to implement in most homes than would be an Atmos system, per their recommendations. No need to cut holes in the ceiling, with exception of the optional VOG. All you need to do is add speakers. With this configuration, you could move them around an experiment with placement. However, with Dolby Atmos in ceiling approach, once you cut holes in the selling, its done. If you don't get it right you're screwed.

View attachment 34800
You don't need to cut holes in the ceiling with atmos either in fact external speakers on the side to get the correct angle is preferred and was shown on Dolby Atmos original layout at one time

Eventually I plan on ceiling mounting bookshelves and getting rid of the in ceiling or going with something like jtr Noesis H10 slanted versions I hope I got there name right

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm not trying to insult or disparage the Dolby Atmos system some of you have set up, I'm sure you all have fine systems. I like the dialog, just giving my opinion, doesn't make me right, just participating in the discussion.

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
My mind is already expanded and is open to Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Auro-3D, can you say the same?
Sure, I enjoy all of the immersive stuff, but I'm not going to pay $200.00 for Auro 3D at this stage of the game. I'm setup for it, but why do I have to pay $200.00 ? Maybe I should have waited, but Denon had the x4100, and DTS X wasn't out at the time!! I'm very happy with my 5.1.4 configuration. I love Atmos, neo x,DSU, I even listen to DSX at times. I remember when prologic was the thing, with a mono rear, then we went to 5.1, and jumped back to PLII. I'm not saying I won't update my system, but it's not going to happen anytime soon

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 34800
We're not hating on you but since you've never installed one on your home you can't blame us for not opening up to your viewpoint... Now if you had we'd probably be more receptive you just don't have any practical personal experience putting in an atmos install... So it's a little hard to be open minded

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
You don't need to cut holes in the ceiling with atmos either in fact external speakers on the side to get the correct angle is preferred and was shown on Dolby Atmos original layout at one time

Eventually I plan on ceiling mounting bookshelves and getting rid of the in ceiling or going with something like jtr Noesis H10 slanted versions I hope I got there name right
That might not be a good idea if your ceiling isn't high for bookshelf speakers, the sound might be too much coming from a bookshelf speaker directly above you. That might be massive undertaking, you wouldn't want one of the speakers to come down from the ceiling. I always think about that when going to a Dolby Cinema.

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
Sure, I enjoy all of the immersive stuff, but I'm not going to pay $200.00 for Auro 3D at this stage of the game. I'm setup for it, but why do I have to pay $200.00 ? Maybe I should have waited, but Denon had the x4100, and DTS X wasn't out at the time!! I'm very happy with my 5.1.4 configuration. I love Atmos, neo x,DSU, I even listen to DSX at times. I remember when prologic was the thing, with a mono rear, then we went to 5.1, and jumped back to PLII. I'm not saying I won't update my system, but it's not going to happen anytime soon
I apologize if you feel picked on, its just that you sounded like you were putting Atmos DOWN (home version) without auditioning it for yourself. I mean you said that the home setup of Atmos couldn't be like the cinema version, but I feel my system is better than some theaters I've been in (no way am I saying all of the cinemas, it's just that I don't have to worry about seating, and loudness). Some times when the landlady is away, and the wife is not here, I listen to my favorite scenes at reference level with all the options I have.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know why some of you are going in so hard on me, my criticism of Atmos is light by comparison to someone like Shadyj. He is spot on when it comes to the pros and cons of Atmos. I can't even get close to explaining it like he does.

Anyway, I didn't need to Google SDDS-8, I actually experienced the format years ago at one my local cinemas. I don't know how old some of the members are so I have to ask the question. Home Auro-3D is dead in the U.S. because of the bully on the block which is Dolby Labs. Home Auro-3D is not dead in Europe, which means it can be done here. I just believe more enthusiasts could enjoy immersive audio using the Auro-3D system as opposed to Dolby.

I never said that Dolby Atmos doesn't sound good or isn't amazing, it's just hard to implement in the home, particularly per Dolby's recommendations. If you and have done so, that's good for you. Not hating at all, I love Dolby Atmos at the cinema, I also like Auro-3D and IMAX Laser.
Like I tell my kids. It’s not what you say, but how you say it. I know it’s hard to pick up on connotations and speech inflections but I’ve always read your words like you were sitting high on some mountain acting like it’s soooooo hard to mount speakers, and cut holes, and everybody is just doing a fools errand because we’re NOT too lazy, or afraid to get dirty, but all for not since YOU don’t find the value. I know some people who think it’s work to load a dishwasher so...
As far as @shadyJ goes. Sure, he’s well spoken, and well informed but I don’t always agree with him and have said so right I’m on this forum. Not saying either of us is right or wrong, our opinions don’t always line up. We all have different priorities so... I still appreciate his commentary, he’s at least respectful.

I’m probably quicker to go after you, because of your tone.

Some would probably say I’m a dikk for some of my pointed posts. Maybe.
I don’t care if people don’t like Atmos or DO like it. I’ve gone done my road so...
As for auro, couldn’t care less.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That might not be a good idea if your ceiling isn't high for bookshelf speakers, the sound might be too much coming from a bookshelf speaker directly above you. That might be massive undertaking, you wouldn't want one of the speakers to come down from the ceiling. I always think about that when going to a Dolby Cinema.
I love articulated mounts and it's actually pretty easy using those to put speakers any place I want

As for height as long as your ceiling is 9 to 10ft high I think your all good you could maybe get away with 8ft too mind you the bookshelves don't have to be gigantic to handle atmos duties

BUT MINE WOULD BE!!!! :D

JBL studio 590's on the ceiling anyone? ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis