The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Yes it can. Well, I just received the 6 Kef CI160QR I ordered on ebay so I think I will just stick with 7.2.6 :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It's natural to be skeptical of anything until you've experienced it yourself.

@Gmoney might soon be adding 2 Height speakers a few feet above ear level to turn his 5.1 system into Atmos/DTSX 5.1.2.

You can try it out yourself. Maybe use a tall bookshelf in the back of the room to temporarily add the height speakers. See for yourself once and for all, instead of being skeptical forever.
I have experienced many times at the cinema and in HT demo room. Also, I'm skeptical about other stuff that I have no plans to invest in.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Based on comments here and what I've read elsewhere I think there's no doubt that 7.2.6 is overkill for my situation but since I have the amplifier and speakers to do it and I need to get a lowered ceiling mounted anyway I figure I might as well go for it :)
How many Atmos mixes are 7.2.6?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I found out my receiver can do something interesting. Not that I wanted it too, but it's doing it.

Since Atmos mixes on BD are encoded into TrueHD tracks, my receiver can use DTS Neural X on them. Apparently when I set it to do that to what I thought were non-Atmos tracks it was doing it to everything. When I played some Atmos demos after getting my new 2ch amp it didn't sound right.

I used the Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 speaker demo that plays sound through each individual speaker and things were wacky. Surround back played through the surround/side speakers and the height speakers played out the front LR. So, yeah. Not cool.

Put it back into "Atmos" mode and it works perfectly. Weird though. I'm going to have to figure out what's up with that.

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
So I found out my receiver can do something interesting. Not that I wanted it too, but it's doing it.

Since Atmos mixes on BD are encoded into TrueHD tracks, my receiver can use DTS Neural X on them. Apparently when I set it to do that to what I thought were non-Atmos tracks it was doing it to everything. When I played some Atmos demos after getting my new 2ch amp it didn't sound right.

I used the Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 speaker demo that plays sound through each individual speaker and things were wacky. Surround back played through the surround/side speakers and the height speakers played out the front LR. So, yeah. Not cool.

Put it back into "Atmos" mode and it works perfectly. Weird though. I'm going to have to figure out what's up with that.
Glad you found out what happened!!!! By the way I've been trying to get a demo clip that would work with my 5.1.4 setup to verify my configuration

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not disparaging Atmos, just skeptical about it. It seems I'm not the only one.
Bro I'm loving it IT both movies were so awesome with atmos when the kids walk into the house and someone's walking upstairs and you can hear footsteps on my ceiling? And in chapter 2 the head crawling all over the room? Awesome simply awesome

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man messiah that show on Netflix is awesome upmixed with neural X

And I watched John Carpenters the Thing I was surprised how well upmixing did on parts of it

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I must agree with you on the immersive audio of atmos, the sound is more of a bubble of sound in the room!! It's as if my speakers just vanished from the room. I was watching some demo clips from demo land, birds were chirping, and my cat was trying to find them ( she was actually looking up, and around, and she stared at me as if to say " where are they ". I knew right away my 5.1.4 was DEAD ON!!!!!
Atmos is not for everyone, but it puts me right in the scene I'm watching
I’m still using onkyo 818 no atmos 7.1 ch but if I wanted I could run 9ch I just cannot afford an external amplifier...
how much better is atmos then Dolby thz heights
It’s far too powerful for a bedroom system ::: sub rattles walls .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
I’m still using onkyo 818 no atmos 7.1 ch but if I wanted I could run 9ch I just cannot afford an external amplifier...
how much better is atmos then Dolby thz heights
It’s far too powerful for a bedroom system ::: sub rattles walls .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still have my denon PLIIZ, ( in my closet) but not in my system! Even as a child I was trying to make my own immersive audio system, I added extra speakers to the TV, once I removed the TV speakers from the tv, and placed them in boxes on each side of the television! When PLIIZ was introduced, I jumped on the bandwagon and hopped back off (I was not satisfied) it added some spaciousness, but it wasn't worth the time, or money for me! I had much more immersive experience with legacy DVDS using elevated surround speakers. ATMOS IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE ( when the sound engineer is experienced) I do enjoy hearing the directional overhead audio as much as the next guy, but it's more than just overhead noise! The speakers in my room seem to disappear, sound becomes a part of the room. Watch the DVD " The Cave " on your setup, then watch it on an Atmos system, you will understand exactly what I've been trying to say!!!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I still have my denon PLIIZ, ( in my closet) but not in my system! Even as a child I was trying to make my own immersive audio system, I added extra speakers to the TV, once I removed the TV speakers from the tv, and placed them in boxes on each side of the television! When PLIIZ was introduced, I jumped on the bandwagon and hopped back off (I was not satisfied) it added some spaciousness, but it wasn't worth the time, or money for me! I had much more immersive experience with legacy DVDS using elevated surround speakers. ATMOS IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE ( when the sound engineer is experienced) I do enjoy hearing the directional overhead audio as much as the next guy, but it's more than just overhead noise! The speakers in my room seem to disappear, sound becomes a part of the room. Watch the DVD " The Cave " on your setup, then watch it on an Atmos system, you will understand exactly what I've been trying to say!!!!!
This...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
How many people remember cinema SDDS-8, five front channels, two surrounds and the LFE. I wish there was a home version, it would have added a wider soundstage up front, which is much more useful than a bunch distracting overhead sounds, especially as our displays get larger and larger.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haters gonna hate. :D

I was watching a TV series called “Baghdad Central”. When the helicopters fly overhead, NeuralX delivers again and again and again.

How many times have we seen shows and movies where all kinds of aircrafts fly overhead? Too many to count!

Too many times we don’t even need Atmos. Why? We have NeuralX to the rescue!

But haters gonna hate, but they can’t even admit it. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How many people remember cinema SDDS-8, five front channels, two surrounds and the LFE. I wish there was a home version, it would have added a wider soundstage up front, which is much more useful than a bunch distracting overhead sounds, especially as our displays get larger and larger.
You need 5 FRONT MAIN speakers for your room is like 14FT wide? :eek:

But 2 little overhead speakers or 2 little Height speakers are simply too many?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You need 5 FRONT MAIN speakers for your room is like 14FT wide? :eek:

But 2 little overhead speakers or 2 little Height speakers are simply too many?
Yeah, I miss the golden days of...MONO!!!!!

It’s like if we were in a car enthusiasts forum and this one guy keeps showing up saying everything should be stock, or we should all ride bicycles. We all know he’s too fukkin lazy to mount his own speakers, or whatever his reasons are. But srsly, why..... It’s not he’s just skeptical. It’s like ASS, sitting high on his old skool throne of victrolas looking down upon the commoners of AV, and our lousy distracting Crapmos systems. Something I think he continually misses, is that Atmos is much more than stupid distracting overhead sounds, and ALL about the way the speakers disappear and the room just scales to the action. If there’s sounds above, awesome, it can really make it amazing. But more than that is all the subtlety and discreet placement, and Atmosphere.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis