The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I watched The Quick and the Dead in Atmos and Mission Impossible Rogue Nation in Atmos. The former was decent. It had plenty of surround sounds and several overhead sound moments. I thought Rogue Nation was kind of weak considering how great Ghost Protocol sounded in just 7.1. Fallout did much better in Atmos than Rogue Nation, IMO.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Kingsman, The Golden Circle didn't have very impressive Atmos sound, IMO and what it did have (e.g. Jungle noises in Cambodia) were so low level they were hard to hear without turning the volume up pretty loud.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw “Escape Room” BluRay in DTS using NeuralX.

The overhead effects were pretty spot on and very lively. Another example of how awesome NeuralX is.

Amazing how NeuralX can take some DTS movie and make it sound better than many so-called Atmos/DTSX movie.

Is is because the original movie was already mixed for overhead effects?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Welp I'm convinced. Neural X is better. Just watched arrival, which was fantastic btw. I haven't heard a movie with sound that good in a long time. Neural X did a great job of putting sound in the right places. Not a good movie for demo material, but as a whole it was excellent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Welp I'm convinced. Neural X is better. Just watched arrival, which was fantastic btw. I haven't heard a movie with sound that good in a long time. Neural X did a great job of putting sound in the right places. Not a good movie for demo material, but as a whole it was excellent.
Yeah, while watching “Escape Room” with NeuralX, I thought it sounded as good as some of the better DTSX and Atmos mixes. Not the first time either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I watched about 15 minutes of "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey" using NeuralX last night.

I saw it originally in Los Angeles in one of the Dolby Atmos commercial theaters. I was 100% underwhelm because I couldn't hear much OVERHEAD.

But I sure heard some cool Overhead sound effects last night with NeuralX, which means if they were to release a 4K-Atmos version, it would sound pretty great too.

Yet another one of many examples of NeuralX and another example of how HOME Atmos is so much better than some commercial Atmos theaters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019" should have pretty awesome Atmos overhead effects with all those aircrafts and monsters overhead. :D

4K Atmos BD release date is 8/27/19.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard the movie itself is terrible, though.
Haters gonna hate. :D

I don't think Godzilla 2019 has any worse of a plot than most movies these days, which have plenty of plot holes and very little character development and plot. :D

All these Marvel and DC comic book movies have tons of plot holes. All those Jurassic movies have tons of plot holes.

Godzilla 2019 should give us 3 things.

1. Great Overhead sound effects, bass, and overall surround sound
2. Awesome monsters to look at
3. Plenty of action from those monsters

And I don't think the plot of Godzilla 2019 is too stupid. I don't agree with it, but it's not the dumbest plot - allowing mind-controlled Titans to roam free could somehow restore the Balance of nature since humans are causing nuclear destructions and pollutions that will cause the extinction of all life? :D

But I watch Godzilla to be entertained by those 3 points mentioned, not think about saving the earth or academy awards. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I enjoyed it at the theaters. All movies with monsters 350 ft tall have plot holes. We just want to see Monsters fight:D.
Godzilla looks awesome.

In terms of "Monster-Titans-Disaster" movies, "Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019" is my all-time favorite -- cooler than any Jurassic or Kong movies I've seen. :D

Great monsters, especially Godzilla and the 3-headed dragon.
Serious movie, not trying to be funny like so many movies.
Great visual and sound effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I can put "Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019" 4K/Atmos on my Atmos/DTSX Reference List.

There is overhead sound effects about every few minutes. I think a very good reference/demo disc for Atmos. :D

1. Pacific Rim 2013 Atmos
2. Blade Runner 2049 2017 4K Atmos (among the best)
3. Cloverfield Paradox 2018 Atmos
4. The Equalizer 2014 Atmos
5. The Great Wall 2016 Atmos
6. Hunter Killer 2018 Atmos
7. The Matrix Trilogy 1999, 2003, 2003 4K Atmos
8. Oblivion 2013 Atmos
9. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016 Atmos
10. Salt 2010 Atmos
11. Sully 2016 Atmos
12. Twilight 2008 Atmos
13. Underworld 2003 Atmos
14. Underworld Blood Wars 2016 Atmos
15. Atomic Blonde 2017 DTSX
16. Harry Potter franchise (8 movies) 2001-2011 4K DTSX
17. Black Hawk Down 2001 4K Atmos
18. 13 Hours 2016 4K Atmos
19. Gravity 2013 Atmos
20. Ready Player One 2018 Atmos
21. Robin Hood 2018 Atmos
22. Jurassic World 4K DTSX
23. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 4K DTSX
24. Terminator Genisys 4K Atmos
25. Alita Battle Angel 2019 4K Atmos
26. Pet Sematary (2019) 4K Atmos
27. Blade Runner 1982 4K Atmos (among the best)
28. Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 4K Atmos (among the best)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and BTW, just in case anyone missed this news, Dolby has REMOVED the stupid Restriction on Upmixing.

So for those of us who love to use NeuralX Upmixing for everything except the best Atmos contents, it's all good. :D

DD ---> NeuralX
DTS --> NeuralX
AAC --> NeuralX
PCM --> NeuralX
Pathetic Atmos and DTSX --> NeuralX :D
Great Atmos --> Atmos

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Godzilla looks awesome.

In terms of "Monster-Titans-Disaster" movies, "Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019" is my all-time favorite -- cooler than any Jurassic or Kong movies I've seen. :D

Great monsters, especially Godzilla and the 3-headed dragon.
Serious movie, not trying to be funny like so many movies.
Great visual and sound effects.
Dude I just watched Godzilla your absolutely right Godzilla f@$!#in rocks just kick ass

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
If you haven't watched this video, its a bombshell and an indictment against Dolby Atmos and immersive audio. It confirms my skepticism about Dolby Atmos (home).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you haven't watched this video, its a bombshell and an indictment against Dolby Atmos and immersive audio. It confirms my skepticism about Dolby Atmos (home).
Do you need a 1 Hour Video to tell you that your steaks don’t taste good? :eek:

If you have a brain and you have an Atmos system at home, you will easily know whether it is good or not.

There are some bad Atmos contents. There are some excellent contents.

You don’t need a college degree. You don’t need any training. Use your ears and your brain.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Do you need a 1 Hour Video to tell you that your steaks don’t taste good? :eek:

If you have a brain and you have an Atmos system at home, you will easily know whether it is good or not.

There are some bad Atmos contents. There are some excellent contents.

You don’t need a college degree. You don’t need any training. Use your ears and your brain.
He said more than just bad Atmos mixes. He was saying some things that you and I have bumped heads over in the past. Home Atmos and Cinema are two different systems. One is fake and the other is real Atmos. The later being real Atmos.

My opinion is that home Atmos is a gimmick, its now being proven to be so. Even you and fellow Atmos enthusiast have lamented the lack of over head information. Well, according to Patrick in the video, its being done deliberately. According him, it cost more to mix in Atmos especially if the content creator doesn't decide from the outset of the production to create an immersive soundtrack. So they get lazy, cut corners and do the bare minimum to slap Dolby Atmos label on a disc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even you and fellow Atmos enthusiast have lamented the lack of over head information.
Why is it that I have NEVER seen a commercial Atmos movie that sounded any better than regular DD or DTS?

I have seen many commercial Atmos movies in Oklahoma, Texas, California, and Florida since 2013. None of them sounded any better than regular DTS.

I have repeatedly say on AH over and over and over and over and over again that there are many awesome Atmos/DTSX movies.

Over and over and over and over repeatedly over and over and over.

Repeatedly over and over and over.

There are many great Atmos movies that have great overhead sound effects.

Why, here is my list:

8. Oblivion 2013 Atmos
10. Salt 2010 Atmos
11. Sully 2016 Atmos
12. Twilight 2008 Atmos
19. Gravity 2013 Atmos

I don’t need to watch a 1 hour video to know whether the overhead sounds are ENTERTAINING and COOL.

That’s what we’re striving for right? ENTERTAINMENT?

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Why is it that I have NEVER seen a commercial Atmos movie that sounded any better than regular DD or DTS?

I have seen many commercial Atmos movies in Oklahoma, Texas, California, and Florida since 2013. None of them sounded any better than regular DTS.

I have repeatedly say on AH over and over and over and over and over again that there are many awesome Atmos/DTSX movies.

Over and over and over and over repeatedly over and over and over.

Repeatedly over and over and over.

There are many great Atmos movies that have great overhead sound effects.

Why, here is my list:

8. Oblivion 2013 Atmos
10. Salt 2010 Atmos
11. Sully 2016 Atmos
12. Twilight 2008 Atmos
19. Gravity 2013 Atmos

I don’t need to watch a 1 hour video to know whether the overhead sounds are ENTERTAINING and COOL.

That’s what we’re striving for right? ENTERTAINMENT?

Look, if you cannot afford to install 4 ceiling speakers, we understand. It might mean you’d have to buy a new house. Not everyone can afford to buy a new house that can accommodate 4 ceiling speakers. It’s okay. The world will continue to spin.

But don’t try to tell people that they’re too stupid to know whether they can tell if Atmos sounds good to them. All they have to do is visit someone with a good Atmos system. Listen for themselves. Decide for themselves. Use their own brains.
When you have some extra time, you should at least watch some of the video. Dolby Atmos (Home) doesn't have the same amount of objects as the cinema. Home version doesn't or can't use the immersive audio palette like the commercial cinema, so at home, according that gentlemen, were at best getting water down version of Dolby Atmos, even with four ceiling speakers.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I watched Bad Times at the El Royale in Dolby ATMOS. It had some good effects (flashback to Vietnam was pretty effective) and some overhead use, but it was fairly mild to moderate in surround use overall. Not a particularly fun movie, but it had some surprise moments.

I then watched SHAZAM! in 3D with Dolby ATMOS. Fun movie overall. Surround use was moderate to heavy with quite a bit of good overhead effects and pans all over the room with plenty of big "all around" moments in it. I was quite pleased with this title overall. Very good 3D video and great Atmos sound. Thumbs up here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis