The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just watched the John Wick 3 trailer, this is a lot more up to speed. :D
Well, they got Morpheus and Neo. Where's Trinity? :D

Hopefully the Atmos sound mix for JW3 will be significantly better than both JW1 and JW2.

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Yes I too was disappointed with the first's Atmos, loved the film but it is hardly noticeable. In the UK the 2nd didn't have Atmos so we had to upmix and that seemed fine and possibly could have benefited. Fingers crossed for the third. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I too was disappointed with the first's Atmos, loved the film but it is hardly noticeable. In the UK the 2nd didn't have Atmos so we had to upmix and that seemed fine and possibly could have benefited. Fingers crossed for the third. :D
It’s a shame the JW movies have not had great Atmos effects.

Who knows, maybe Starz’s “The Continental” John Wick TV series will have better Atmos effects. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Punisher S02 is in Atmos on NF.

Just saw Episode 1 of S02.

I don’t recall a lot of overhead sound effects.

But then again this episode is so incredibly INTENSE and AMAZING that my heartbeat was in overdrive and I was holding my breath much of the episode so I didn’t even pay any attention to the sound. :eek: :D

Man, seriously, I have to rewatch this episode 1 again. :D

Wow.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Sully: Miracle on the Hudson (2016)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL / 16kw
1.jpg

3.jpg

The film mix is just a tiny shy of being on par with "Gravity" with occasional dialouge moved around to the surrounds as with some small pans across the screen channels. Effects are nicely placed during the several avenge points seen by the airplane crash landing to air traffic control and Hudson river ferries.
2.jpg

Use of the x6 overhead surrounds is fairly active throughout the 95mins.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Finally got around to watching Halloween 2018 and it was a decent movie. Some good twists, but obviously set up for a sequel. Overall a solid meh.

DTS-X mix was good, but the movie offered little in the way over over head effects. What opportunities they had were used quite well, but there were very few.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL / 16kw
View attachment 27931
View attachment 27933
The film mix is just a tiny shy of being on par with "Gravity" with occasional dialouge moved around to the surrounds as with some small pans across the screen channels. Effects are nicely placed during the several avenge points seen by the airplane crash landing to air traffic control and Hudson river ferries.
View attachment 27932
Interesting. I figured this movie would be a bit boring. I've had it for a good while. Guess I should check it out.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Another thing I thought was interesting is that Android TV doesn't technically support Atmos with Netflix, but my AVR picked up Atmos when I was watching season 2 of Daredevil.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing I thought was interesting is that Android TV doesn't technically support Atmos with Netflix, but my AVR picked up Atmos when I was watching season 2 of Daredevil.
Try season 2 of Punisher, which is also in Atmos, although the overhead effects so far (S02 E01-03) are much less than Daredevil season 3.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Finally got around to watching Halloween 2018 and it was a decent movie. Some good twists, but obviously set up for a sequel. Overall a solid meh.

DTS-X mix was good, but the movie offered little in the way over over head effects. What opportunities they had were used quite well, but there were very few.
Typical of all the DTS-X movies I've seen. Why even bother if they're not going to make good use of the overhead speakers. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Typical of all the DTS-X movies I've seen. Why even bother if they're not going to make good use of the overhead speakers. :D
I do agree, but this is a movie about a dude that wonders around murdering folks. Not a lot of opportunities TBH.

Need to see what other DTS-X movies are out there. Gotta be a good one somewhere.

EDIT: Found this. Apparently there are quite a few.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do agree, but this is a movie about a dude that wonders around murdering folks. Not a lot of opportunities TBH.

Need to see what other DTS-X movies are out there. Gotta be a good one somewhere.

EDIT: Found this. Apparently there are quite a few.
I heard on this thread that “Atomic Blonde” might have the best DTSX mix.

I’ve only seen about 20 minutes of it. I haven’t heard much overhead sound effects yet.

Now, of course, we realize that in real life we wouldn’t hear much overhead sound.

But then again, probably 99% of the things that happen in the movies wouldn’t happen in real life either like aliens, mutants, and super heroes. :D

So let’s escape reality for a few hours and hear some unreal overhead sound effects and unreal actions. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I heard on this thread that “Atomic Blonde” might have the best DTSX mix.

I’ve only seen about 20 minutes of it. I haven’t heard much overhead sound effects yet.

Now, of course, we realize that in real life we wouldn’t hear much overhead sound.

But then again, probably 99% of the things that happen in the movies wouldn’t happen in real life either like aliens, mutants, and super heroes. :D

So let’s escape reality for a few hours and hear some unreal overhead sound effects and unreal actions. :D
Cool. I've got that so I'll confirm when I get around to watching it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL / 16

I confirm that Sully’s Atmos ceiling speakers are very active.

I put “Sully” in the Reference Atmos Demo list.

I saw “Sully” at a commercial Atmos theater when it was released. And I did not think the sound was very good at all - didn’t hear much overhead (if any).

But the “Sully” home Atmos mix is awesome. I’m going to use the old cliche- felt like I was watching “Sully” for the 1st time and hearing things I did not hear before. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My updated “Reference Atmos OVERHEAD Sound Effects” list.

I also haven’t seen every Atmos title (like Hacksaw Ridge, Alien Covenant).

The Matrix Reloaded 2003
The Matrix Revolutions 2003
Twilight 2008
Gravity 2013
Oblivion 2013
The Equalizer 2014
Sully 2016
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016
The Great Wall 2016
Underworld Blood Wars 2016
Blade Runner 2049 2017
Mission Impossible Fallout 2018
Bad Times at the El Royale 2018
Skyscraper 2018
Ready Player One
Now You See Me 2

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My updated “Reference Atmos OVERHEAD Sound Effects” list.

I also haven’t seen every Atmos title (like Hacksaw Ridge, Alien Covenant).

The Matrix Reloaded 2003
The Matrix Revolutions 2003
Twilight 2008
Gravity 2013
Oblivion 2013
The Equalizer 2014
Sully 2016
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016
The Great Wall 2016
Underworld Blood Wars 2016
Blade Runner 2049 2017
Mission Impossible Fallout 2018
Bad Times at the El Royale 2018
Skyscraper 2018
One of these things is not like the others...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis