The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I love horror movies and watched last year's Stephen King's It tonight. It had both Dolby Atmos and DTD as formats one of the opportunities to check out both

I like both of them but felt Dolby Atmos stole the show. The part where they first walk into the house. There was an amazing use of Atmos where the overhead speakers were putting a girl crying and sobbing to the right front height speaker. Then it panned to front left and rear left overhead with groans creaking and the sound of someone walking across the floor. It literally felt and sounded like someone was walking around and doing scary sh$#t on my roof. Friggin super cool moment. And movie I might add. The actor for IT man he's friggin amazing!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There was an amazing use of Atmos where the overhead speakers were putting a girl crying and sobbing to the right front height speaker. Then it panned to front left and rear left overhead with groans creaking and the sound of someone walking across the floor. It literally felt and sounded like someone was walking around and doing scary sh$#t on my roof. Friggin super cool moment.
I know that cool feeling of being amazed by Atmos. :D

It makes you feel proud of your HT system when you experience that.

People who have never experienced great Atmos effects will not know what we are talking about. :D

Commercial Auro3D and Atmos cinemas and home DTSX have never given me that type of feeling of amazement.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know that cool feeling of being amazed by Atmos. :D

It makes you feel proud of your HT system when you experience that.

People who have never experienced great Atmos effects will not know what we are talking about. :D

Commercial Auro3D and Atmos cinemas and home DTSX have never given me that type of feeling of amazement.
My theater is getting to the level of I don't even want to go to the movies anymore. I'll just get pissed off at all the great sound I'm missing

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My theater is getting to the level of I don't even want to go to the movies anymore. I'll just get pissed off at all the great sound I'm missing
I definitely know that feeling. :D

I have been to many commercial Atmos and XD (Auro3D) cinemas since 2013. First Atmos movie was "Gravity" since they made a big deal out of Atmos. I can't even recall hearing anything from overhead. I almost gave up on Atmos based on my experience with commercial Atmos theaters.

Seriously, home HT with plain DTS-HD and TrueHD sounds better than commercial Auro3D and Atmos cinemas. That's even before you add DSU and NeuralX to DTS-HD and TrueHD. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I definitely know that feeling. :D

I have been to many commercial Atmos and XD (Auro3D) cinemas since 2013. First Atmos movie was "Gravity" since they made a big deal out of Atmos. I can't even recall hearing anything from overhead. I almost gave up on Atmos based on my experience with commercial Atmos theaters.

Seriously, home HT with plain DTS-HD and TrueHD sounds better than commercial Auro3D and Atmos cinemas. That's even before you add DSU and NeuralX to DTS-HD and TrueHD. :D
It's good to see the old school people who doubted me for going ATMOS finally come around... I definitely enjoy my Home theater vs a large movie theater. (IMAX would still be nice)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's good to see the old school people who doubted me for going ATMOS finally come around... I definitely enjoy my Home theater vs a large movie theater. (IMAX would still be nice)
There are still plenty of people (like @Auditor55 and others) who doubt that Atmos will survive. :D

I can’t blame them. I was in their shoes for a long time thinking that Atmos was going to be like 3D video and other failed formats - just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :D

I conclude that technologies or formats live or die depending on the home theater market, not the commercial theater market.

If I installed 4 ceiling speakers in the hot attic and could not hear cool overhead effects (like most DTSX movies I’ve seen or commercial Auro3D, Atmos), I would be raising hell against Atmos on Audioholics. I would be telling everyone that Atmos and DTSX suck and warn them not to buy into this format.

And if everyone also felt cheated because they cannot hear any cool overhead effects at home, they’d be doing the same. And then Atmos would be dead for sure.

But once people actually experienced home Atmos (like many of us here), they realized that Atmos is the real deal.

But until they actually experience Home Atmos, I can’t blame their doubt.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are still plenty of people (like @Auditor55 and others) who doubt that Atmos will survive. :D

I can’t blame them. I was in their shoes for a long time thinking that Atmos was going to be like 3D video and other failed formats - just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :D

I conclude that technologies or formats live or die depending on the home theater market, not the commercial theater market.

If I installed 4 ceiling speakers in the hot attic and could not hear cool overhead effects (like most DTSX movies I’ve seen or commercial Auro3D, Atmos), I would be raising hell against Atmos on Audioholics. I would be telling everyone that Atmos and DTSX suck and warn them not to buy into this format.

And if everyone also felt cheated because they cannot hear any cool overhead effects at home, they’d be doing the same. And then Atmos would be dead for sure.

But once people actually experienced home Atmos (like many of us here), they realized that Atmos is the real deal.

But until they actually experience Home Atmos, I can’t blame their doubt.
I think the people that doubt if Atmos will stick around aren't thinking simply enough.

What I mean is, when Dolby switches to a new format, that's it. No going back. Dolby will use Atmos (in either TrueHD form or E-AC3 form) until their next format comes out. Doesn't matter if we put it in our houses or not.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the people that doubt if Atmos will stick around aren't thinking simply enough.

What I mean is, when Dolby switches to a new format, that's it. No going back. Dolby will use Atmos (in either TrueHD form or E-AC3 form) until their next format comes out. Doesn't matter if we put it in our houses or not.
That’s an excellent point.

DD to TrueHD to Atmos. And it’s 100% backward-compatible. If you don’t own an Atmos AVR, then you can still get TrueHD. If you don’t have a TrueHD AVR, then you can still get DD.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Well, The Huntsman - Winter's War will be doing nothing to dispel AcuDef's belief Dts:X has failed. The film has moments, however they are few and far between and it is just another wasted opportunity to showcase any benefits of the format. The previous film may have fared better but this was not done and so is only a Dts HDMA. An up mix of Max Payne, last night yielded far better results.

We are now off watching the best Wyatt Earp movie to date, Tombstone. The original dvd was in need of an update and so far the bluray is looking excellent.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well, The Huntsman - Winter's War will be doing nothing to dispel AcuDef's belief Dts:X has failed. The film has moments, however they are few and far between and it is just another wasted opportunity to showcase any benefits of the format. The previous film may have fared better but this was not done and so is only a Dts HDMA. An up mix of Max Payne, last night yielded far better results.

We are now off watching the best Wyatt Earp movie to date, Tombstone. The original dvd was in need of an update and so far the bluray is looking excellent.
I actually didn't even like the movie so the whole thing is kind off wasted when you think about it

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Although I watched Venom and the Equalizer 2 last night on DTS they both sounded incredible. Still think Dolby Atmos gets the overhead and spatial stuff right better but they both sounded bad a@$!.

I liked the Equalizer 2 okay not as much as the first. But man I really dug Venom that movie was great!

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I actually didn't even like the movie so the whole thing is kind off wasted when you think about it
If it's the Huntmans, I will grant you the first is better than the second, although neither are that great. The Huntman is a cash in and the Snow White tries too hard to be a Lord of the rings epic.:rolleyes:

Not sure what the audio will be for Venom in the UK (Feb sometime), probably just Dts given it's Disney/Marvel for the bluray. Only seen the trailer, so no spoilers before then.:D

I was kind of disappointed on the up mix for EQ2 given that EQ1, after AcuDef's blow by blow came out so close for a Atmos v Dts HDMA comparison. :)

Atmos has definitely had the better share of quality and quantity, which is a shame that we don't have a more equitable distribution. It may change but maybe not, we may have to wait for the next revisions in a year or two.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Thanks

There is another out there called (Dead in Tombstone). It's pretty far out. It's stars that machete dude. He gets killed off by his gang of outlaws, gets sent to hell, Mickey Rourke plays the devil. Makes a deal with the devil for more time, like an extension backup on Earth. He's got to bring the souls of his gang members to hell. But as you would expect making a deal with the devil never a good idea.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was kind of disappointed on the up mix for EQ2 given that EQ1, after AcuDef's blow by blow came out so close for a Atmos v Dts HDMA comparison. :)
Equalizer 2's Atmos sound effect wasn't as good/prominent as EQ1 either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Although I watched Venom and the Equalizer 2 last night on DTS they both sounded incredible.
I think Venom's Atmos has some moments, but overall I don't think it has a lot of Atmos overhead effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, The Huntsman - Winter's War will be doing nothing to dispel AcuDef's belief Dts:X has failed....An up mix of Max Payne, last night yielded far better results.
Yep. Still the case - I have not seen any DTSX movie that comes anywhere close to rivaling the best Atmos movies.

We get better results just using the upmix DSU and NeuralX.

Atmos - growing strong.
DTSX/Auro3D - failing miserably - I would NOT waste any money on them.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
It is not particularly that the format is a failure, just that what has being using it so far have not used it very well. I would still say Crimson Peak and Atomic Blonde are among the better examples. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think Venom's Atmos has some moments, but overall I don't think it has a lot of Atmos overhead effects.
I agree but Damn it still sounded great though overall and I loved the movie definetly coming to the permanent collection!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is not particularly that the format is a failure, just that what has being using it so far have not used it very well. I would still say Crimson Peak and Atomic Blonde are among the better examples. :)
I've only seen about 15 minutes of Atomic Blonde in DTSX. I need to watch the whole movie again in DTSX and give my impression.

So many Atmos/DTSX movies to watch, so little time. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've only seen about 15 minutes of Atomic Blonde in DTSX. I need to watch the whole movie again in DTSX and give my impression.

So many Atmos/DTSX movies to watch, so little time. :D
Life can be so painful sometimes siggggghhhhh!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis