The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok just watched Underworld Awakening it was mastered in DTS.

I liked it better upmixed with dts + Dolby Surround. Just sounded better then Dts + Nueral X. Some of the overhead effects were off a little but they had some really cool moments. The opening scene when they both fall in the river. Upmixes that just sounded incredible.

But my favorite moment was the face off in the Vampire coven with Selene against the giant Lycan. Oh my friggin god man I have never heard friggin bass like that before. Those PB 4000's were almost too much. I almost couldn't handle it. And I'm not even running them hot. When he comes stomping in you have 4 layers of bass going on. His gutteral growl. His footsteps. The shaking of the buildings foundation. And this underlying pulse that just vibrates your whole body. All going on at the same time. I've never heard that scene and heard the layers of bass like that before. And at that volume and intensity. Damn how low is that bass going my body was friggin vibrating man. Unreal I felt like I just got high. My head is still buzzing from that

Then I watched The Mummy. It was in Atmos. Not every scene was great but the plane crash wow man that was just epic. Just sounded awesome.
I’ve been holding out re-watching Underworld Awakening because I figured SONY will remaster both Awakening and Rise of the Lycans in ATMOS. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Could be a heights (mine) versus overhead thing.
I don't know about very well,:) I can hear them, but then I am still just past the Dam. :eek: I will do the rest of it today. :D
Could also be that my ceiling is 14FT. But I had no problem hearing overhead effects vividly and clearly with a lot of ATMOS movies, even some upmixed contents.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Could also be that my ceiling is 14FT.
Mine is about 12' although the heights are only at about 7' currently. I am hoping to get them a bit higher once I sort out a good solution. :)

Regarding San Andreas, still not all the way through but..
19 mins helicopters and planes above, quiet otherwise just dialogue.
32 mins 2nd quake in and the overhead sound are working fine. Glass, cracks, creaks, bumps and plaster.
40 mins Ray's rescue of Emma. Lot of good helicopter action, inside and out, mixed with other stuff.
46 min Garage scene rescue. Fair amount of rock falls, creaks and cracks.
55 min The dust storm after quake. Ioan really is a rat:) and the auto rotate landing. Nice helicopter action and ambient shopping mall.

I don't think there much wrong with the overhead sounds, just the whole film is OTT crazy.:eek: I'm having to run at -40 and no sub to avoid neighbor complaints.:( Fronts are crossed at 60Hz and the rest are at 80Hz, so not completely devoid of bottom end but still it would be nice to have ma baby on. :) SVS PB12 Plus/2

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
And the conclusion...

1:15 Start of the 3rd quake. Glass, cables, buildings, dust, lots going on all around
1:22 Tsunami warning sirens. Water spray front to back and bit overhead with the crates. The bridge, Ioan gets his,:) along with cables snapping and water.
1:27 "We're not high enough".:eek: Water all around and some building breaking up.
1:32 The building sinks, more water effects, splashes and submerged moments.
1:46 Helicopter flyover, the end.

I've omitted the music which up the front wall and spilling to the back throughout.:) Hopefully some people are off on holiday to foreign climes this month and we can try it again a bit louder and with the sub on.:p

It is odd to have such different results. I don't think they bothered to re-code the Atmos for the UK, but you never know. It could be there is a lot more bleed from the base layer using heights, where as overheads might be more discrete which may account for some of it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, think I am going to disagree regarding the Mummy for the plane crash sequence, at least on my setup.:( I was disappointed when I watched it previously, so I gave it another shot this morning. Bass wise it might be fine, but the Crows were a real wasted opportunity, I expected far more front to back or through left to right. There is some overhead creaks and rumbles, but the volume seems lower than it should be and the all round effect is minimal. I had hope for a more roll cage type experience as it descended If you watch Rampage about 44 mins in and compare it to that, this was more of what I had hoped for. :) Could be a heights (mine) versus overhead thing.

No argument on the Underworlds, they have all up mixed well so far. Not done Awakening recently but that sounded pretty good the last time. :cool:

I don't know about very well,:) I can hear them, but then I am still just past the Dam. :eek: I will do the rest of it today. :D
Yeah the bird scene on The Mummy was a let down but for some reason the planes belly roll and right before it hits was cool on my system. Really though not my favorite Atmos mix. Not by a long shot for some reason I really like that movie though.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I liked the film too. :) It may have killed off the Dark Universe for now since the box office wasn't high enough though.:(

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have to say DSU has really done an amazing job on Apple 4K TV for the various apps that don’t have 5.1 and only have 2.0 such as direct tv now app. I’m sure soon ATV will fix that issue as the fire tv can already do it for direct tv app.

The picture on Direct TV Now beats the heck out of my comcast thru TiVo. I may order a fire tv streamer to compare things with the Apple 4K tv though. Especially interested in the new dvr that Amazon is coming out with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And the conclusion...

1:15 Start of the 3rd quake. Glass, cables, buildings, dust, lots going on all around
1:22 Tsunami warning sirens. Water spray front to back and bit overhead with the crates. The bridge, Ioan gets his,:) along with cables snapping and water.
1:27 "We're not high enough".:eek: Water all around and some building breaking up.
1:32 The building sinks, more water effects, splashes and submerged moments.
1:46 Helicopter flyover, the end.

I've omitted the music which up the front wall and spilling to the back throughout.:) Hopefully some people are off on holiday to foreign climes this month and we can try it again a bit louder and with the sub on.:p

It is odd to have such different results. I don't think they bothered to re-code the Atmos for the UK, but you never know. It could be there is a lot more bleed from the base layer using heights, where as overheads might be more discrete which may account for some of it.
The think the movie was just so loud and the other 5 big towers and 9 subwoofers were overpowering the four 8" ceiling speakers. :eek:

Maybe I just need to turn off the 9 subwoofers and 2 surround speakers - just watch the movie with the front 3 speakers and 4 ceiling speakers. :D

Anyway, I didn't even like this movie to begin with, so no big loss for me. :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
We all like different things, were it otherwise it could be quite boring. :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Ok just watched Underworld Awakening it was mastered in DTS.

I liked it better upmixed with dts + Dolby Surround. Just sounded better then Dts + Nueral X. Some of the overhead effects were off a little but they had some really cool moments. The opening scene when they both fall in the river. Upmixes that just sounded incredible.

But my favorite moment was the face off in the Vampire coven with Selene against the giant Lycan. Oh my friggin god man I have never heard friggin bass like that before. Those PB 4000's were almost too much. I almost couldn't handle it. And I'm not even running them hot. When he comes stomping in you have 4 layers of bass going on. His gutteral growl. His footsteps. The shaking of the buildings foundation. And this underlying pulse that just vibrates your whole body. All going on at the same time. I've never heard that scene and heard the layers of bass like that before. And at that volume and intensity. Damn how low is that bass going my body was friggin vibrating man. Unreal I felt like I just got high. My head is still buzzing from that
Re-listening to it, again.
45450009_597907420626586_7246475891327369216_n.jpg
45437288_1987980537954044_178306035444875264_n.jpg
45415113_377628753064546_5608014540135464960_n.jpg
45541123_735149783485900_6642664117268119552_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Looking forward to your impressions
Do want see my vampire impression first? Well second great day playing the film again. When I first got it few years ago I wasn't in good mood at that time due to bipolar and feeling depressed. I think the medication work better in the winter?

Well I can still hear what the Neural:X is doing with MUTING the LCR surrounds and just listening to the upmixer Neural:X or what the DSU can and can't do.

I decided to fit another pair of JBL to the ceiling when they arrive and rewire the overhead speakers with the discrete front Height 1 at the front on the ceiling with middle Height I do my own diy matrixing off the side surrounds and send the centre phantom signal there. With Height 2 rear back in same place on the back part of the ceiling nearer to the back row seating. I know they have other AVR's with a Height 1, Height 2, Height 3 but not spending out on another AVR that would cost more than the Marantz SR612, presently being used and still newish.

The sound mix on this film isn't as high in levels as some may think? Its got a good dynamics.

Decided to play again today with five screen matrix.

It has some obnoxious 3d imagery even thou played in 2D as 2D I find is acceptable. I get the sense of this when Selene stuffs a grenade Silver Nitrate into Giant lycan, with the pin flying towards the camera... Kaboom! I think I seen this cliche before where a bomb of a sort gets stuffed into the bad guy?

Don't like the digital photography which at times sticks out as digital with a smear motion of a sort. I prefer film unless they can do this digital correctly. The colour I do not like at all. Tinted what ever looks blueish in the blacks dreadful. As an action horror its okay otherwise I would be re-watching it again for two days in a row since buying it few years ago.
45474734_2349202901821508_6451625784418238464_n.jpg

I had to set the ISO on the camera not to make it over blueish but that is roughly how it looks with light on or off, light off when I took the picture.

The cgi I guess has improved a bit. The opening where Selene is on top of building looking down with buildings on fire looked fake.

"Blood Wars" 4k Atmos here tomorrow.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do want see my vampire impression first? Well second great day playing the film again. When I first got it few years ago I wasn't in good mood at that time due to bipolar and feeling depressed. I think the medication work better in the winter?

Well I can still hear what the Neural:X is doing with MUTING the LCR surrounds and just listening to the upmixer Neural:X or what the DSU can and can't do.

I decided to fit another pair of JBL to the ceiling when they arrive and rewire the overhead speakers with the discrete front Height 1 at the front on the ceiling with middle Height I do my own diy matrixing off the side surrounds and send the centre phantom signal there. With Height 2 rear back in same place on the back part of the ceiling nearer to the back row seating. I know they have other AVR's with a Height 1, Height 2, Height 3 but not spending out on another AVR that would cost more than the Marantz SR612, presently being used and still newish.

The sound mix on this film isn't as high in levels as some may think? Its got a good dynamics.

It has some obnoxious 3d imagery even thou played in 2D as 2D I find is acceptable. I get the sense of this when Selene stuffs a grenade Silver Nitrate into Giant lycan, with the pin flying towards the camera... Kaboom! I think I seen this cliche before where a bomb of a sort gets stuffed into the bad guy?

Don't like the digital photography which at times sticks out as digital with a smear motion of a sort. I prefer film unless they can do this digital correctly. The colour I do not like at all. Tinted what ever looks blueish in the blacks dreadful. As an action horror its okay otherwise I would be re-watching it again for two days in a row since buying it few years ago.
View attachment 26458
I had to set the ISO on the camera not to make it over blueish but that is roughly how it looks with light on or off, light off when I took the picture.

The cgi I guess has improved a bit. The opening where Selene is on top of building looking down with buildings on fire looked fake.

Man you are so right about the cheesy camera shots to set up 3D moments I hated it when 3D came out and movies would do that

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 26458

Whatd you think about the bass? I thought it was crazy craziest bass I've heard in awhile. But then again every thing sounds crazy on those new subs

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
The colour I do not like at all. Tinted what ever looks blueish in the blacks dreadful
You are quite right Andy regarding the blue hue.:( I also found the overall levels to be too dark on my normal BT 1886 gamma and had to change to 2.2 to see any detail in the elder's outfits. The same is true of Blood War and not something I needed to do for the first 3 films. Using the 2.2 makes the blue obvious, like in your picture. :confused:

From an audio point, Dts HDMA up mixed with Neural X
The flame thrower and ice grenade at the start are nicely done.:) The visions, van attack came across quite well, and the whole of the coven attack ending sounds good.

Also good luck with the rewire.:D I spent the day moving the 6 rears to bring the tweeters more in line with the front levels.:eek: Not sure it made a world of different, but it's all still working.:cool:

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Whatd you think about the bass? I thought it was crazy craziest bass I've heard in awhile. But then again every thing sounds crazy on those new subs
Oh that part. Had the subs tuned off or at lower level than usual. May play the scene again in the morning with levels at normal. Then again what is normal? I don't often hear growling werewolves in the dark streets at nighttime. :D I know what you mean.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
You are quite right Andy regarding the blue hue.:( I also found the overall levels to be too dark on my normal BT 1886 gamma and had to change to 2.2 to see any detail in the elder's outfits. The same is true of Blood War and not something I needed to do for the first 3 films. Using the 2.2 makes the blue obvious, like in your picture. :confused:
I may tinker with hue settings which are in (zero 0 setting) see if it, never know may improve that pale skin colour, yeah seems like everyone needs a suntan. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Only experimenting with San Andreas, Atmos-quake with the Behringer inuke3000 crossovers set down at 20Hz -48db steep slope with extra added parametric EQ filters to filter off anything struggling to get above the crossover point. I sense feel deepness. Still experimenting with output gain levels to get as much possible infersonic.

ALL other channels are MUTED only the subs and sub bass shakers are active as I have to listen to how natural it sounds without all that upper part of the sub bass booming.

I mean if I want do it another way with hydraulics or system that can move more or sort less like an Earthquake seismic waves how its depicted in the film from the helicopter with ground waving up and down like ocean waves. I don't think the room would stand up to that much stress.

Normally with the crossover set higher at 120Hz would look different on the RTA, A little infersonic is slipping though. Also how the subs are placed which like most on the floor and depending on floor types.

Wooden floorboards
Concrete floors
Concrete floors with a wooden surface
45472837_2082618435383256_5998053491086458880_n.jpg

At times sounds like its on the outside like if a digger was nearby doing road works I'd hear feel as well as it also depends on buildings foundation how heavy machinery can have an impact on road surfaces and what is underneath the ground. Drainage, storm drains that can transmit airborne sounds though to underneath buildings.

Okay lets see how it goes now with the Aura bass shakers turned ON with my ears hearing the other airborne sub lows pressure on my eardrum while my body feels the bass shaker in the seats.

Its kinder of okay almost sort of there expect the room really isn't being jolted side to side which would be stupid with walls cracking/breaking apart and falling around me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In case we haven’t already said it, thank you ATMOS for giving us more reasons to re-watch all these movies. :D

I cannot recall ever hearing this great of a soundtrack from the Matrix trilogy. It seems everything sounds better. I bet it sounds better even for people who don’t have an ATMOS System.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis