The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the report sir. Sounds like a good one. I think I already saw it but, it may be worth getting to check out the Atmos. It's $24 right now though which is a bit steep. Are you running the BR or 4K? Just wondering if the BR has the Atmos track?

Edit: looks like the BR does have the Atmos track and its only $8.99Can...

Oh I have the 4K. I guess I could have saved a bit. On my 65in Samsung KS8000 4K TV, I get a good upscaling on regular Blu-ray Discs. (Better than my Sony X800m2 can do). I do plan to go to a 75in TV this fall before hockey season starts. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Oh I have the 4K. I guess I could have saved a bit. On my 65in Samsung KS8000 4K TV, I get a good upscaling on regular Blu-ray Discs. (Better than my Sony X800m2 can do). I do plan to go to a 75in TV this fall before hockey season starts. :)
I'm still running an old 52" 1080p Samsung but, also plan to upgrade eventually(I'm thinking 85" minimum). For now though, I just bought a new 4K player so I can downscale and still play 4K films on this TV and still get the Atmos track with movies that don't have it on BR. Honestly, I care far more about sound anyway and the only reason I'm gonna get a new TV is for a larger panel otherwise I would just keep running this TV until it died as it still looks great. I guess I will see how the Black Friday sales are this year and if good may cave...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm still running an old 52" 1080p Samsung but, also plan to upgrade eventually(I'm thinking 85" minimum). For now though, I just bought a new 4K player so I can downscale and still play 4K films on this TV and still get the Atmos track with movies that don't have it on BR. Honestly, I care far more about sound anyway and the only reason I'm gonna get a new TV is for a larger panel otherwise I would just keep running this TV until it died as it still looks great. I guess I will see how the Black Friday sales are this year and if good may cave...
Actually the 82in or 85in might work well for me. I didn’t realize how cheap they are now. :)

Last edited:
T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Actually the 82in or 85in might work well for me. I didn’t realize how cheap they are now. :)
Ah oh, did I just cost you more money? Oh great, now your significant other is gonna be like "who the eff is the Tac guy" .

Yeah, they sure have come down. That's why I figure the heck with it, I want a big change from 52" and going to 85" will definitely be noticeable.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ah oh, did I just cost you more money? Oh great, now your significant other is gonna be like "who the eff is the Tac guy" .

Yeah, they sure have come down. That's why I figure the heck with it, I want a big change from 52" and going to 85" will definitely be noticeable.
Ya will need to research Samsung v Sony v LG v Vizio. I know it won’t be a projector though. :)

As long as I keep FireTV as the brain attached to the AVR, the GF can handle using it. It’s pretty simple that way. Let Alexa do most of the work. LOL :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Ya will need to research Samsung v Sony v LG v Vizio. I know it won’t be a projector though. :)

As long as I keep FireTV as the brain attached to the AVR, the GF can handle using it. It’s pretty simple that way. Let Alexa do most of the work. LOL :)
I will have to do some research too but, I am not in a rush as I just spent a bunch on this upgrade. I'm thinking Black Friday at the earliest for me.

Yep, good ole FS my GF likes it too. I'm running the FS 4K but, might get the new cube when it comes out to get Netflix Atmos support(Netflix Atmos isn't supported on the FS 4K).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I will have to do some research too but, I am not in a rush as I just spent a bunch on this upgrade. I'm thinking Black Friday at the earliest for me.

Yep, good ole FS my GF likes it too. I'm running the FS 4K but, might get the new cube when it comes out to get Netflix Atmos support(Netflix Atmos isn't supported on the FS 4K).
The 2019 version fire cube should support Netflix Atmos. I see it discussed that it does on Reddit. I will try that one and return it if not. I’ll let you know. It’s easy to return stuff with Kohl’s taking Amazon returns now. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
The 2019 version fire cube should support Netflix Atmos. I see it discussed that it does on Reddit. I will try that one and return it if not. I’ll let you know. It’s easy to return stuff with Kohl’s taking Amazon returns now. :)
Yes, it definitely does but, apparently the new Gen 3 will come out soon and I want to wait for it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Watching Godless on Netflix in Fakemos. :)

I am using my AppleTV 4K since my Firestick 4K doesn’t support Netflix Atmos.

I’ll try the 2019 Fire TV Cube 4K out when it arrives. It’s supposed to support Netflix Atmos.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Watching Kong Skull Island now. :)
Good to know, I have the BR sitting here waiting for the upgrade. Man, it is not fun waiting for backordered things that are paid for already. At least my new Bass Traps and 4K player will be here Tuesday...

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic

I’ll try the 2019 Fire TV Cube 4K out when it arrives. It’s supposed to support Netflix Atmos.
The FireCube will definitely work with Netflix Atmos as I know someone that has one. I would already have one too(running the FS 4K now) but, the 4K and the Cube were the last models updated(in 2019) so, they will be next to be updated. I want the newest Gen 3 Cube model when it comes out but, the question is can I wait once the new setup is up lol. The Gen 2 Cube goes on sale for $99 quite often at least. How's the Apple?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I love that "Godless" series even when it's in Fakemos. :D

Check out ANOTHER LIFE 2019 series on Netflix. It is in REAL Atmos! It is the ONLY true Atmos content I've seen from Netflix. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The FireCube will definitely work with Netflix Atmos as I know someone that has one. I would already have one too(running the FS 4K now) but, the 4K and the Cube were the last models updated(in 2019) so, they will be next to be updated. I want the newest Gen 3 Cube model when it comes out but, the question is can I wait once the new setup is up lol. The Gen 2 Cube goes on sale for $99 quite often at least. How's the Apple?
I have the 2019 cube TV 4K working now. It works great for Netflix Atmos. One title that works well is 6 Underground. I don’t really see much use of overhead sound so far in Godless but only watched a couple episodes. :)

One difference on Apple TV 4K is it shows Atmos/PCM instead of Atmos/Dolby+ when I check info on my Yamaha. They both look and sound great but Alexa can do a lot more than Siri. Also the remote on Apple TV sucks and so does using an iPhone to control Apple TV. Apple TV does great for mirroring my iPhone screen though. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
It was awesome! This one has action and is set in the middle of a hurricane! There’s stuff flying around everywhere. :)
K, good to know thanks. I saw it a while back but, just streamed off of Netflix in 5.2. Hopefully one day my heights will arrive(delayed again) so I can watch some of these movies I have amassed. Everything else is here(wall/ceiling mounts, wire, heatshrink, bananas, wire clips) just waiting on them and the new 4K player...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis