The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, they sure are. That I didn't know and it's unfortunate(my subs are Paradigm Defiance X12's). I may get into the BEQ thing eventually if I get motivated anyway.

Good to know about the HP series. I need to get a few good DTS-X and Auro 3D examples as well to try.

Thanks for your help.
Roger that.
I’ve been interested in BEQ too but in the last year and a half, haven’t had the damn house to myself to “play”. Plus the laptop that all my minidsp and rew is on took a dump.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Roger that.
I’ve been interested in BEQ too but in the last year and a half, haven’t had the damn house to myself to “play”. Plus the laptop that all my minidsp and rew is on took a dump.
Yeah, I'm having issues with my laptop too but, BEQ does look interesting. I still have to get back to trying to get more then just front L/R to work in REW. One thing at a time though as I already have a ton of work to do with this Atmos/4K Player/Acoustic Treatment upgrade.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Even if I can only get Godzilla vs Kong in DDP 4K, I would still watch it at home and use NeuralX, which still sounds better than any Commercial Atmos theater I’ve been to since 2013.

Commercial Theater Atmos sound is a joke to me. I can never hear anything overhead.
That's a very specific year. What changed then?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing has changed the last time I was at a commercial Atmos theater. They still suck because I can’t hear anything overhead.
I didn't figure it did. I was just curious if you had an awesome theater experience in 2013 and nothing has compared since. Of course, that could be YOUR theater. :)

I think the last time I went to a movie to SEE it and experience IMAX for the first time was really the last time I went to a theater because I planned to. I was disappointed. I already had my theater at home and I didn't really feel like I got all that much out of it.

I've never been to an Atmos theater, but I expect them to be meh. The Dolby theater near me might be worth it...if it opens again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't figure it did. I was just curious if you had an awesome theater experience in 2013 and nothing has compared since. Of course, that could be YOUR theater. :)

I think the last time I went to a movie to SEE it and experience IMAX for the first time was really the last time I went to a theater because I planned to. I was disappointed. I already had my theater at home and I didn't really feel like I got all that much out of it.

I've never been to an Atmos theater, but I expect them to be meh. The Dolby theater near me might be worth it...if it opens again.
I NEVER had a great Atmos experience at ANY commercial theater. Not in 2013, not ever. And I've been to Atmos theaters in Los Angeles, Orlando, Dallas, and Oklahoma City.

The problem is the exact same thing - the bed speakers and subs are significantly louder than the ceiling speakers so I could not hear anything overhead.

And even in my home theater, I have to increase the Atmos (and Center speaker) trim level above the Front L/R and Surround L/R trim levels.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I NEVER had a great Atmos experience at ANY commercial theater. Not in 2013, not ever. And I've been to Atmos theaters in Los Angeles, Orlando, Dallas, and Oklahoma City.

The problem is the exact same thing - the bed speakers and subs are significantly louder than the ceiling speakers so I could not hear anything overhead.

And even in my home theater, I have to increase the Atmos (and Center speaker) trim level above the Front L/R and Surround L/R trim levels.
How many db higher for your ceiling speakers? 2dB? How tall is your ceiling?

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I have 14FT ceiling. My Atmos trim is 4dB higher than Front L/R and Surround L/R.
Wow, 14 feet, wanna trade rooms? I might trade my left nut for that kind of height. I barely have 8 in my current garbage room lol. Can't wait to sell this house and get one with a proper large rectangular room with one closing door, no windows, and hopefully high ceilings.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, 14 feet, wanna trade rooms? I might trade my left nut for that kind of height. I barely have 8 in my current garbage room lol. Can't wait to sell this house and get one with a proper large rectangular room with one closing door, no windows, and hopefully high ceilings.
Buy a piece of land and do a custom home. You can specify the exact room you want. :D

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Buy a piece of land and do a custom home. You can specify the exact room you want. :D
Honestly I don't think I could put up with the banks constant BS(not to mention the city inspections) or I would(I could build it myself too and save a ton of money which is unfortunate). Might do a pre-fab though as we are buying country property and want a smaller house as we aren't having a family and want to retire early. So, might have to compromise a bit but I definitely won't be buying anything without descent HT/Music listening rooms. Ideally I'd like to have a perfect HT room for my Atmos setup and a seperate living room to house my dream 2.2 setup. Time will tell...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly I don't think I could put up with the banks constant BS(not to mention the city inspections) or I would(I could build it myself too and save a ton of money which is unfortunate). Might do a pre-fab though as we are buying country property and want a smaller house as we aren't having a family and want to retire early. So, might have to compromise a bit but I definitely won't be buying anything without descent HT/Music listening rooms. Ideally I'd like to have a perfect HT room for my Atmos setup and a seperate living room to house my dream 2.2 setup. Time will tell...
You don’t think it’s possible to have your perfect 2.2 Music and perfect 5.2.4 Atmos HT in the same room/system without compromising?

Of course, there is a benefit to having the 2 systems in 2 rooms like you mentioned. Only problem with the living room is that it is 100% open to any house guests. The dedicated HT room can be LOCKED up when you’re not home. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have 14FT ceiling. My Atmos trim is 4dB higher than Front L/R and Surround L/R.
I think I'm at 2db or so with 8ft ceiling. It does make a difference.

When I get around to testing my new bouncy Atmos speakers in my office I'll have to see if they need an increase like that...assuming they work at all.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I've been too disappointed with the quality of theater sound for so long I haven't really gone to the theater for something I really wanted to watch since 2012 when The Dark Knight Rises came out. The IMAX sound system was impressive, but it wasn't better than my theater. Picture wasn't all that great either, but this wasn't one of the IMAX with the 70mm projectors that are supposed to be much better. It was fun, but I was disappointed with the sound quality.

I'm still up for the Dolby theater near me with the 8K laser projector and full Atmos system. That should be at least a good picture.

The only theater I can remember that had a really impressive sound system was one in Odessa, TX when I was in high school/college. It was a THX theater and when movies I wanted to see came to that theater I tried to go simply because it was so much better. I have no clue if THX theaters are still good, but that one was. I had a surround system then, but it was pretty wimpy so by comparison the theater was much better.

If theaters want their attendance to go up they need to get it together and make the theater experience special again. People want something they can only get at the theater, so they're going to have to invest to get people in. Using the same projector from 20 years ago isn't going to cut it if these places haven't already gone out of business. I went to a theater to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater in college. That was special because nothing around me showed older movies in theaters. I love those movies and had only seen them on TV so seeing one on the big screen was a big deal for me. Plus it was a theater with an intermission so that was a nice touch. Basically, the place went all out and made it an ordeal that they were showing this movie. They only had one screen IIRC, and it was pretty neat.

I don't want to see them go, but I also need an incentive to go to the theater.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
You don’t think it’s possible to have your perfect 2.2 Music and perfect 5.2.4 Atmos HT in the same room/system without compromising?

Of course, there is a benefit to having the 2 systems in 2 rooms like you mentioned. Only problem with the living room is that it is 100% open to any house guests. The dedicated HT room can be LOCKED up when you’re not home. :D
Well, I definitely think it's hard not to compromise with a combo system like I'm running now in my main living room. Main living rooms just have a ton of furniture and a big TV in the middle to affect imaging, absorption, and reflections. If I build a descrete music listening room all that will be in it is 2 Towers, 2 Subs, a love seat, some lighting, and a ton of Acoustic Treatment. The whole room will be designed based on acoustics by starting with just one tower and an amp in the room and starting from there. The MLP will be picked based on best possible acoustics too. Nothing else will be in the room except maybe a small flat screen with a 3 or 4" broadband panel or diffuser that pulls down to cover it when critical listening.

Yeah, the big benefit is having a seperate room to go to if myself and the lady want to do different things(TV/Movies/Music/Reading/Audiobooks/etc.)or have some alone time. I am not too worried about my setup as it's just myself and my GF(we aren't having children) and my GF knows how particular I am about my stuff so she will take good care(although you are right it still makes me a bit nervous letting her use the good stuff I plan to put in there).

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I hate to say it guys but, I think theaters are done. I think they will transition to fringe novelties like drive in theaters did. Covid is putting the final nails in the coffins so to speak as they have been slowly dying for years. It's just hard for many people to pay big bucks to see a movie(and get a second mortgage for the popcorn lol) when they already have great picture and sound at home. Especially now that flatscreens and box Atmos systems are available to the masses for affordable prices. There is also the inconvenience. It's hard to beat sitting in your PJ's on the couch with a scotch and cigar(or beer and joint if you prefer), being able to pause whenever you want for snacks, pee, or sex breaks, and all at the touch of a button. Even harder now as there is no waiting with direct to HBO Max releases...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nice, I have it on my list. Let us know what you think please.
So I’m about halfway in. There is a car chase and it feels like I’m in the suv and the bullets are hitting the roof of the car! This one is just as good for Atmos as Ready Player 1 but isn’t as constant as it’s used more sparingly.

Use Ready Player1 for getting the Atmos speaker levels adjusted perfectly, then load up 13 Hours. :)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
So I’m about halfway in. There is a car chase and it feels like I’m in the suv and the bullets are hitting the roof of the car! This one is just as good for Atmos as Ready Player 1 but isn’t as constant as it’s used more sparingly.

Use Ready Player1 for getting the Atmos speaker levels adjusted perfectly, then load up 13 Hours. :)
Thanks for the report sir. Sounds like a good one. I think I already saw it but, it may be worth getting to check out the Atmos. It's $24 right now though which is a bit steep. Are you running the BR or 4K? Just wondering if the BR has the Atmos track?

Edit: looks like the BR does have the Atmos track and its only $8.99Can...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis