The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Okay, thanks! I'm just a little intimidated, because I've never worked with curves before, and I know that's one of the main benefits of the app. I've seen terms like "house curve", and "harman curve", and I have no idea what they are.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Understandably so. The good news is you don't have to touch the manual curves/adjustments. You can start with simpler tweaks like playing with limiting correction, or disabling MRC etc..

L

LenniePaz

Audiophyte
Understandably so. The good news is you don't have to touch the manual curves/adjustments. You can start with simpler tweaks like playing with limiting correction, or disabling MRC etc..
I'll give it a shot. It seems like there's great support in this thread, should I have some questions.

G

GJB

Audiophyte
Is anyone having issues with sending calibrations to their receiver?

I downloaded Audyssey MultEQ onto an iPad. It installed fine. I completed an 8 mic position setup then saved that and created a copy form it which I edited by adding a 500Hz curtain on all channels, all without issue. All was going well and saving fine. Then I went to send it to my receiver (Denon AVR X3700H) which it found on the network without a problem, but nothing happened and nothing was sent. It just instantly flicked back to the curve screen. Apparently it’s supposed to come up with a “Please wait while your data is sent...” box showing progress.

Audyssey Support said to reset the receiver, unplug it for a minute or 2, plug it back in, reconnect to the network and that’ll do it, but it didn’t. The instructions were even on a [Solved] email.

There seems to be issues with this for people (it’s only got a 2.6 rating on Google Play) so I was just wondering if anyone in here has any suggestions. Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is anyone having issues with sending calibrations to their receiver?

I downloaded Audyssey MultEQ onto an iPad. It installed fine. I completed an 8 mic position setup then saved that and created a copy form it which I edited by adding a 500Hz curtain on all channels, all without issue. All was going well and saving fine. Then I went to send it to my receiver (Denon AVR X3700H) which it found on the network without a problem, but nothing happened and nothing was sent. It just instantly flicked back to the curve screen. Apparently it’s supposed to come up with a “Please wait while your data is sent...” box showing progress.

Audyssey Support said to reset the receiver, unplug it for a minute or 2, plug it back in, reconnect to the network and that’ll do it, but it didn’t. The instructions were even on a [Solved] email.

There seems to be issues with this for people (it’s only got a 2.6 rating on Google Play) so I was just wondering if anyone in here has any suggestions. Thanks.
The only sending issue I have had was that sometimes (may be a few times out of 50 or more times)it would not send the "flat" curve but it would be fine by sending it again.

Are you using a device listed by Google Play as "compatible"?

G

GJB

Audiophyte
The only sending issue I have had was that sometimes (may be a few times out of 50 or more times)it would not send the "flat" curve but it would be fine by sending it again.

Are you using a device listed by Google Play as "compatible"?
I'm using the Apple version on an iPad, iOS 9.3.5. Compatibility says "Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch."

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm using the Apple version on an iPad, iOS 9.3.5. Compatibility says "Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch."
May be your wifi signal is too weak. If not, and if you have already factory reset the avr, then you probably should get it replaced. If there is a local dealer near you and have the x3700h on the shelf, you can try your ipad there perhaps? Just to confirm the issue is your particular unit or not.

L

LenniePaz

Audiophyte
My frequency range slider won't move. Is there a trick to slide it? I'm putting my finger on that arrow, and trying to slide it, but nothing happens. I'm using a Note 10 Plus if that matters.

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern
My frequency range slider won't move. Is there a trick to slide it? I'm putting my finger on that arrow, and trying to slide it, but nothing happens. I'm using a Note 10 Plus if that matters.

Apparently, there is an issue with the Samsung Galaxy 10+ that may also affect your Note 10. Here is a workaround you could try. I don't have a 10 (Note 9 here, no issue using the slider) so can't try it myself.

Go to settings --> full screen apps --> advanced settings --> tap 3 dots in top right of screen --> hide front camera. See if you can move the slider. If you then change the setting back to allow the front camera the slider is still adjustable.

L

LenniePaz

Audiophyte
Apparently, there is an issue with the Samsung Galaxy 10+ that may also affect your Note 10. Here is a workaround you could try. I don't have a 10 (Note 9 here, no issue using the slider) so can't try it myself.

Go to settings --> full screen apps --> advanced settings --> tap 3 dots in top right of screen --> hide front camera. See if you can move the slider. If you then change the setting back to allow the front camera the slider is still adjustable.
I actually got it working. I have to tap on the number, and I can see it shift a little, then I'm able to drag it. Thanks though ! One last question. I see a lot of people like to set it to 500. Do we do that for all the speakers, except the sub?

G

GJB

Audiophyte
May be your wifi signal is too weak. If not, and if you have already factory reset the avr, then you probably should get it replaced. If there is a local dealer near you and have the x3700h on the shelf, you can try your ipad there perhaps? Just to confirm the issue is your particular unit or not.
Thanks for the suggestion. This morning I hardwired the receiver to the modem and got a Connection Error (1) message. I'll contact Denon Support next to see if they think it might be a receiver issue.

L

LenniePaz

Audiophyte
I did the sub crawl, and put my 2 subs in the best spots. This is pretty good, right?

B

boulderskies

Audiophyte
There are a few such threads already, but no users/or owners thread that I am aware of, so I thought it may be better to have one for the users. This thread is for MultEQ users in general, so it is not limited to Denon and Marantz product owners in case users of other brands may be interested in it enough to consider switching in their next purchase. Emphasis is given on providing, sharing tips and even target curves. Actual FR graphs using REW/Umik-1 mic and/or Omni mic etc., are welcome, hope to see as many as possible.

I've gathered some facts and tips from my search and found, and will post some of them later.

Below is just to start, the list will grow for sure, the information under the heading MultEQ filters are mainly from the AH interview with the founder.

Audyssey MultEQ filters:

- XT32 generates filters that have 32 times the resolution of XT for the satellites and 4 times for the subwoofer.
- It uses Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters. Note: PEQs are IIR type filters.
- In AVR systems, the filters are set to +9 dB max boost and +20 dB max cut.
- Audyssey MultEQ room correction algorithm relies on the analysis of measurements in the time domain and the effects of sound reflections from walls and other room surfaces.
- MultEQ is capable of applying correction from 10 Hz to 24 kHz. However, during the measurement process it first determines the roll off points of each speaker and subwoofer, and limits the correction below that point.
- According to Chris Kyriakakis, "We offer MultEQ at 96 kHz and even higher if needed so that the content can be processed without downsampling, even though the MultEQ filters above 24-30 kHz (adjustable) would be doing absolutely nothing. The issue is that doubling the sampling rate also doubles (roughly) the processing requirements needed. This is true for any kind of digital processing not just MultEQ. The AVR makers would have to add significant cost for more DSP processing and they have chosen not to do that. So they decided to use Audyssey at a max of 48 kHz. From an acoustic point of view this makes perfect sense for the reason I explained above.

The App:

- The Editor App is compatible with D+M 2016 and newer models.
- Main features are: can customize target curves, save them and share them with others, option to remove MRC (Mid range compensation), limit the range of frequencies that the EQ is applied to.
- Customization only affects the Reference target curve, except the MRC removal will affect the Flat curve as well.
- Before version updated 1.4.1, there was a 20 Hz subwoofer protection roll off.
hello all....brand new to this forum and glad i found it.
i have the Audyssey app but have been hesitant to use it for fear of screwing something up, particularly changing the curves). i have a backup of the config.avr that's currently loaded on my Marantz SR7012 (multiXT32) that sounds okay but my dual subs seem to pose challenges everytime i run Audyssey (all 8 positions, sub gains at 50%). i must ALWAYS boost levels in the AVR.
so...i would like to try the app and will use this forum as a resource BUT, is there a manual or directions on exactly how to use it somewhere? i've never found one.

thank you,
scott

G

GJB

Audiophyte
I've finally got the calibrations sent to the receiver. I got hold of an old iPhone 6 with iOS 12.3 and it's worked using that. They possibly haven't updated the minimum specs (iOS 8) in the app store and it needs higher than the iOS 9.3 I have on the iPad (or the iPad just didn't want to talk to the receiver).
Anyway, if anyone has a similar "non-communication" issues with sending calibrations from Apple devices something to try would be using different devices and/or later versions of the iOS.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i have the Audyssey app but have been hesitant to use it for fear of screwing something up, particularly changing the curves). i have a backup of the config.avr that's currently loaded on my Marantz SR7012 (multiXT32) that sounds okay but my dual subs seem to pose challenges everytime i run Audyssey (all 8 positions, sub gains at 50%). i must ALWAYS boost levels in the AVR.
so...i would like to try the app and will use this forum as a resource BUT, is there a manual or directions on exactly how to use it somewhere? i've never found one.

thank you,
scott
Have you tried the Youtube videos such as this one?

Audyssey App - Room Correction Software - YouTube

I think if you can just follow the App's onscreen instructions. You can save each and every run and send any of the files to the AVR at any time so there is no need to worry about messing things up.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Anyone had an issue with the app where it is saying that it can not detect my front left speaker when it first starts? I have been using the app with no problems until now and I have not touched anything or moved any speakers

L

LenniePaz

Audiophyte

thank you,
scott
Everything I've read, and the way it works with my HSU subs, is that you set the volume to around 9 o'clock before running Audyssey. I could be wrong, but I don't think your subs should be set to 50% before running Audyssey.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I need some help plz. I have the x4500 and was down stairs playing around again and ran three positions in audyssey to see where it set my sub levels and it was fine. So I get into the app to run a full calibration and the sub level matching part is not working, the little speaker icon is not moving at all to adjust volume. I skip that and it plays a test tone on my front left speaker then it says it can’t detect it, tried several times and same results.
I then try audyssey again without the app and sub level matching screen says my subs are to low which I know they’re not. I skip that and it plays tone out of my left front speaker then switches to my center, it now says I have no center connected which I obviously do. I have no idea what is going on. Bought 4500 in September or October, can’t imagine it’s junk already but idk. Some insight plz

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis