Terrible audio on Disney +

• Thread starter }Fear_Inoculum{
  • Start date
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Anyone else experience this?

I recently decided to watch the entire MCU in chronological order. I spent 2 months watching the 22 movies. Of course all of them (except Spider-Man) are on Disney +. Over the course of that 2 month span, I did a little upgrading in my HT room. Bought 2 Paradigm Defiance X12 subwoofers, and 4 KEF Q150 for side/rear surrounds. Granted my L/C/R speakers still need upgrades, but the sound was (as best I can describe it) "muddy" from the front.

I thought it was due to the upgraded speakers I'd bought, but when I watched Spider-Man: Homecoming on Netflix, the sound was great. Then I tried watching The Boys on Amazon Prime, and it sounded great there as well. No "muddy" sound at all.

Anyone else have very noticeable loss of sound quality when watching shows on Disney +?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I recently subscribed to D+ so I could watch some MCU stuff (particularly WandaVision) and was happy to find the audio was better than the time I trialed it (when I trialed it I could only get stereo, now it's DD+, wasn't even sure at the time it was the trial version or not). I haven't had any issues with the full subscription (via Amazon Fire Sticks) other than very slow reactions to remote commands, but the audio is/has been fine...so far, will keep an ear out.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I don't know about muddy sound, but I do find myself increasing the volume level a little more when watching anything on Disney+.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I don't know about muddy sound, but I do find myself increasing the volume level a little more when watching anything on Disney+.
Yes, I was going to mention that in my OP as well. When I'm watching on Disney +, I have to crank the volume on my AVR to -20 dB for it to sound loud, but when watching Netflix or Amazon Prime if I have it that loud it blows my head clean off.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yes, I was going to mention that in my OP as well. When I'm watching on Disney +, I have to crank the volume on my AVR to -20 dB for it to sound loud, but when watching Netflix or Amazon Prime if I have it that loud it blows my head clean off.
I’ve found Disney + to have hit or miss sound quality, prime and Netflix really good never a problem with them HBO Max I’d say is the best one I’ve got for sound quality. When I watch Disney + I do have to raise the volume a little too but it seems to be movie dependent.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It's not just on D+, their sound mixes on their 4k's are absolute garbage. Disney has decided to "save" some money and not offer the best uncompressed sound on their 4k releases. They believe since most people watch their shows/movies with Soundbars, on phones, ipads, etc... they don't need to put the best sound out there.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I also had a the full marvel cinematic experience recently. All of my movies are UHD's ripped to PLEX server played over the Shield Pro. I was having some issues with the server at one point and switched over to Disney+ for two of the films and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I was able to enjoy the movies and the atmos without noticing the fact that it was streaming. I think in a pinch it's a reasonable alternative when better options are not available. I wouldn't consider it absolute garbage either but that may be due to certain peoples bandwidth and router QoS. Mine is perfectly fine.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's not just on D+, their sound mixes on their 4k's are absolute garbage. Disney has decided to "save" some money and not offer the best uncompressed sound on their 4k releases. They believe since most people watch their shows/movies with Soundbars, on phones, ipads, etc... they don't need to put the best sound out there.
I have no idea what D+ believes but if you are correct, why do 4k to begin with, right? ;)

I don't subscribe to it. I am wondering perhaps that if one cannot utilize 4k then audio would also be downgraded?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Streaming device is also a factor. Disney+, HBOMAX, Netflix and Prime are great on Apple TV 4K with a lower volume issue all the way around. The same apps on my Samsung TV are s@#t. And yes, in some instances, Disney+ will not pass atmos without 4K HDR being enabled.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Streaming device is also a factor. Disney+, HBOMAX, Netflix and Prime are great on Apple TV 4K with a lower volume issue all the way around. The same apps on my Samsung TV are s@#t. And yes, in some instances, Disney+ will not pass atmos without 4K HDR being enabled.
I'm using an Amazon Firestick 4k to stream with. And no problems with any of the other streaming services I subscribe to (Netflix, Amazon Prime), only audio issues with Disney +.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I have no idea what D+ believes but if you are correct, why do 4k to begin with, right? ;)

I don't subscribe to it. I am wondering perhaps that if one cannot utilize 4k then audio would also be downgraded?
Agreed. I was disappointed in the MCU 4k releases. Picture quality not the issue. But how can you short change us with the sound?? Another thing with regards to picture is more about the IMAX shots. They shot some of the movies in IMAX yet on their releases they don't have any IMAX scenes. Like when watching Nolan movies and during his IMAX scenes they fill the screen and out of IMAX they go back to 2.35. Not with Disney. They just kept it at the same ratio the entire time. I don't like that a multi-billion dollar entertainment company cuts corners on movies they release.

Now that Disney owns Fox movie catalogue, I don't trust them to release the old classics. They really don't want to spend the time to do it. So I hope that 3rd party companies that take pride in restoring, upgrading, etc.. can get their hands on some Fox movies and release 4k versions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the absolute best MCU soundtrack is "Dark Phoenix" by a large margin.

Captain Marvel and The New Mutants might be #2, but still far behind Dark Phoenix.

I've seen plenty of DSNY+ contents and all of the MCU movies (including The New Mutants). Pretty much all the Atmos seems fake, but no surprise. Other than that, the rest of the DD+ audio seems very good. No complaints from me, except for the fake Atmos, but that could just be the Source, not DSNY+.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
IMAX ratio was included in 3D blu-ray releases of Disney MCU movies but not on anything else. Fox released movies up til’ now aren’t technically part of the Disney MCU. Disney/Sony’s “Spiderman: Far From Home” had a great track.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m just thankful Disney + includes some Atmos. I don’t mind raising the volume up.

I’m using the 2019 Version FireTV Cube.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
IMAX ratio was included in 3D blu-ray releases of Disney MCU movies but not on anything else. Fox released movies up til’ now aren’t technically part of the Disney MCU. Disney/Sony’s “Spiderman: Far From Home” had a great track.
Yeah, the spiderman was a Sony release. Sony, Paramount and WB release some very good 4k releases.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
What are using to stream with, if I may ask? For the most part, I'm using the latest Roku Ultra, model 4800 I believe, and I do notice a difference in both picture and sound between the Roku and my Sony X800, although the Sony doesn't have Disney+, so I can't compare an apples to apples comparison between the two streaming devices. But on other platforms like Netflix and Prime, I would give the edge to the Sony, both in picture and quality, which makes no sense since it's just bits that both are outputting.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
What are using to stream with, if I may ask? For the most part, I'm using the latest Roku Ultra, model 4800 I believe, and I do notice a difference in both picture and sound between the Roku and my Sony X800, although the Sony doesn't have Disney+, so I can't compare an apples to apples comparison between the two streaming devices. But on other platforms like Netflix and Prime, I would give the edge to the Sony, both in picture and quality, which makes no sense since it's just bits that both are outputting.
Amazon Firestick 4k that I just bought at Christmas time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
differences.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis