tekton - the next big thing?

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
question and advce

Since I will be holdiong out till next year for my new mains, I am looking for surrounds. i am looking for another pair of monitor audio rs8's, also i have auditioned today Revel Concentra Series F12 3 Way Floor Standing Speaker or PSB Stratus Golldi.

which would you guys go with? The F12 sounded really good today its for $700 i can probably get it for $600, I am in negotians for MArs8 for $650 and the psb i can probably get for $650

also Kef Q500 for $775 which one guys? remeber next year i will get new mains and my other speaker will be used for surrounds. Also if you guys do say the revel ones are theybetter than MARS8's maybe i can use the new ones depending what everyone advises.
The Revel Concentras are much better-built speakers than the KEF Q-Series. Even if the midrange and tweeter aren't as sophisticated as the KEF Uni-Q the Concentras are well designed speakers. The Revels should reach considerably lower than the KEFs as well - double 8's per side, right? - and have less strain in the lower mids if you crank up the volume.

If they're the same price as Q500's, or even cheaper, the Concentra F12's are the way to go. Seriously, at $600-700 one shouldn't even have to ask.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Even without acoustic pannels and bass traps? :D

My goodness. :D
yes the bass sounds that are output by the 67 corvette 427-435 hp are a joy to hear, but the midrange and upper registers from the 69 z28 DZ302 will make you wonder where is all that noise is coming from.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
The Revel Concentras are much better-built speakers than the KEF Q-Series. Even if the midrange and tweeter aren't as sophisticated as the KEF Uni-Q the Concentras are well designed speakers. The Revels should reach considerably lower than the KEFs as well - double 8's per side, right? - and have less strain in the lower mids if you crank up the volume.

If they're the same price as Q500's, or even cheaper, the Concentra F12's are the way to go. Seriously, at $600-700 one shouldn't even have to ask.
what about the revel F12 over the MA RS8's? or atick to the MA rs8

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
yes the bass sounds that are output by the 67 corvette 427-435 hp are a joy to hear, but the midrange and upper registers from the 69 z28 DZ302 will make you wonder where is all that noise is coming from.
Meh. Yank iron is clanky compared to, say, a 3.8L Jag XK with triple SU's, or an Alfa twin cam with a brace of Weber DCOEs.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Meh. Yank iron is clanky compared to, say, a 3.8L Jag XK with triple SU's, or an Alfa twin cam with a brace of Weber DCOEs.
Have to disagree there...

the S3 motor sounds like 2 sewing machines fighting over a bent needle...

You Bring one of them over and sit it next to my 69 dz motor, Id rather use a couple gm starters and some big batteries than one of them..... Plus most Americans wouldnt fit in the spider to save our lives, Im 6'5" 280ish {40" waist} and wouldnt even try, there would be broken console and dash parts everywhere...

I once climbed in a an old xke convertible and my foot got stuck under the dash, had to take off my shoe and get out then retrieve my shoe {size 16, but still..}

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Have to disagree there...

the S3 motor sounds like 2 sewing machines fighting over a bent needle...
The "S3 motor" is the HE V12, not the XK straight six. And note further that I specifically referenced the short-stroke (3.8L) version, not the later 4.2L version. Though the injected 4.2L XK in Dad's old XJ6 Series-3 Vanden Plas was a great-sounding luxury car motor: basically inaudible until you stepped on it, whereupon it turned into an angry freight train. (Pity that it also ate up fuel at a rate of 11-14 mpg per the trip computer.)

The E-Type (people who know Jaguar don't say or write "XK-E") Series-3 was, unfortunately, the ill-wrought, bulbous bridge between interesting Jaguar coupes and Sir William Lyons' one big misfire, his XJ-S, a.k.a. the "British Camaro."

Plus most Americans wouldnt fit in the spider to save our lives, Im 6'5" 280ish {40" waist} and wouldnt even try, there would be broken console and dash parts everywhere...
You're an extreme outlier at 6'5", not one of "most Americans." Most Americans are fat but short. The average American male is actually about the same height as the average Japanese male today. And way shorter than average males in countries with modern health-care systems such as the Netherlands or Germany. I find that at hair under 6'2" I can easily see over the heads of a gathering of Americans, but in Antwerp I get lost in small crowds.

Then again, motor sound isn't everything. The greatest car ever made has a motor that sounds like an asthmatic tractor.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The average American male is actually about the same height as the average Japanese male today. And way shorter than average males in countries with modern health-care systems such as the Netherlands or Germany.
Out of curiosity, can you back that up beyond your anecdote?

A little light searching on Wikipedia for me revealed an average height of 5' 9.5" as an average measured male height, ages 20+, all ethnicities. For Japan, average measured height was 5'7", but the age range was apparently only 17 year olds. Germany was 5'10" for ages 18+, but this was self reported, not measured. The Netherlands was 5'11" for ages 20+, but also self reported.

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
Out of curiosity, can you back that up beyond your anecdote?

A little light searching on Wikipedia for me revealed an average height of 5' 9.5" as an average measured male height, ages 20+, all ethnicities. For Japan, average measured height was 5'7", but the age range was apparently only 17 year olds. Germany was 5'10" for ages 18+, but this was self reported, not measured. The Netherlands was 5'11" for ages 20+, but also self reported.

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i love this thread :D

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
its dead again...... where are all the pendragon owners

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
C'mon, no sense being jaded because you can't afford a $2500 set of speakers just for music :D jk

Still haven't seen one person who heard the Pendragons say a bad word about them, someone has to be buying them Erik can't keep up... He is making me a matching center for my lores so I can use them as a 3.0 in my bedroom. I figured they are in there anyway, why not hook it into my tv... Just adding a source selector {so I can still use my tube amp for music} and my brother gave me his old yamaha avr {that used to be mine LOL}...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Is that a thinly veiled reference to your latest purchase? :p
I was waiting for it, lol, I like this forum for the simple fact that the members tend to be very sharp and pick up on the small things that I put in my posts to make me laugh...
I cant wait to get them... I got a tracking number today... Already have the amps and subs in place, just waiting on the towers...:D:D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I was waiting for it, lol, I like this forum for the simple fact that the members tend to be very sharp and pick up on the small things that I put in my posts to make me laugh...
Flattery will get you everywhere :D

I cant wait to get them... I got a tracking number today... Already have the amps and subs in place, just waiting on the towers...:D:D
Good times! I'm a little jealous, mostly because I don't have anywhere to put more speakers :p

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Flattery will get you everywhere :D

Good times! I'm a little jealous, mostly because I don't have anywhere to put more speakers :p
I have systems in the garage, master bedroom, office, and loft, and now all 3 parlors. Plus the whole house system that has a set of speakers on all 4 porches, and Im working on a Loud party setup for outside... Im waiting for my wife to have a meltdown then I will stop... But she uses the theater, the multiroom system and the tektons in the bedroom pretty often, so she enjoys them too.. But once and a while she will say how the speeakers everywhere take away from the houses appeal...

X

xumbug

Audiophyte
Have a look at Stereo Mojo, they have a new review on the Tektons:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis