tekton - the next big thing?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
thanks for the offer. I am hoping to listen to the pendragons this month. am getting in contact with the seller on audiogon.

i've not heard the philharmonics before. i looked at the website: the woodwork looks fantastic and they do look very well made. are the top and bottom sections separate?

i've been on and off again into audio for the past 25+ years. Have heard apogee scintillas, B&W 801's, Bose 900's ( yes i said it), snells, spendor sp1, ads, DIY speakers, Norh drum speakers ( i own the Norh 7's using scanspeak drivers. still a superb bookshelf speaker) martin logan hybrids, eminent tech planars, maggies, and wilson audio watt / puppies. I have to say that although audio memory may be fleeting and short, some impressions do stay with you long term. it's been 20+ years since i heard the apogee scintillas and I still remember how much i DONT like them!
Hi I would certainly enjoy talking with you. The Phil's are modular--the crossover and woofer are in the bottom cabinet, and the rest is in the top. I've modded a lot of Norh 7's over the years. Wonderful drivers, wonderful cabinets, not so wonderful crossover. Anyhow, let me know when you would like to give the Phil's a listen, and I also hope to hear the Tektons.

F

freeflap

Audioholic Intern
Hi I would certainly enjoy talking with you. The Phil's are modular--the crossover and woofer are in the bottom cabinet, and the rest is in the top. I've modded a lot of Norh 7's over the years. Wonderful drivers, wonderful cabinets, not so wonderful crossover. Anyhow, let me know when you would like to give the Phil's a listen, and I also hope to hear the Tektons.
i didn't know you were the designer! Glad i didn't say anything bad about them!!!

what is wrong with the crossover of my norh 7's ? Do recommend i do that with my norh's?

your philharmonics remind me of the B&W 801 given the modular design ( one of my favorite speakers)

i would be curious if anyone in the DIY community has already tried to model a DIY version of the pendragon.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
i didn't know you were the designer! Glad i didn't say anything bad about them!!!

what is wrong with the crossover of my norh 7's ? Do recommend i do that with my norh's?

your philharmonics remind me of the B&W 801 given the modular design ( one of my favorite speakers)

i would be curious if anyone in the DIY community has already tried to model a DIY version of the pendragon.
Hi Actually, I don't think I have modded the 7's. I did lots of 9's, 4's, and the mini. Maybe the mini is the 7? If so, it measured better than any of the others, and the improvement from my mod was modest. You can see before and after response curves for the 9 and the mini here:
MurphyBlaster Productions

I'm not aware of any DIY attemtps to clone the Tektron. DIY'ers have focused on all-out line arrays. But I don't keep up with that stuff very much with all of the Philharmonic demands.

Jackson123

Jackson123

Audiophyte
Made the leap

I heard the Loress in SC and the Pens in DC. Both so strong that I ordered the SEAS Pens last week. I personally liked the regular Pens better than I did the Aerial 7t's. But I forgot to compare the Stats. Rats. Well, I'll let you all know how it works out.

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
I ordered a pair of Pendragons on Friday 11/28 with grills and they arrived in perfect condition on Tuesday 12/2 with grills. They were the standard black Pendragons with the stock capacitor. They replaced an old set of Bose 701 Series II speakers, which were not bad sounding. The main speaker replacements were the final part of a 4 year Home Theater upgrade. The Pendragons were chosen based on a number of positive articles and owner comments.

So far, I have been quite pleased with the Pendragons. They are quite an improvement over the Bose Speakers. I have been running the speakers all day for the past couple of days with all kinds of music and home theater movie tracks. They appear to get warmer/smoother as they break in. They are full bodied speakers in their output. I have an SVS Subwoofer, the PB12/plus 2 (two 12 inch subs in one box) and I have had to turn down the gain on the subs to work with the Pendragons. Using a sound pressure meter I have retweaked all the speaker output levels (I have a 7.1 system) to be consistent with the Pendragons and the results have been quite impressive. I have no regrets. The speakers are big but I have the room in my Home Theater room. I am getting use to the size, not a big deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis