Svs Prime pinnacle vs Rp8000f (short review)

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I did enjoy what I heard from the Prime Pinnacles, but I A/Bd them with the Monitor Audio Silver 300 and 500, whose sound I liked more.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
You know, it’s bizarre this paradigm thing is coming up on this forum recently. When I was doing dozens of hours of research for my speakers last year, I was at one point sold on the 800f based on the review here. But I did some looking around the other forums and it seems issues like this are common, and people have expressed that when they do happen, getting Paradigm to do something about it is pulling teeth. So I stayed away.

I guess i’m kind of a sucker for “great customer service reputation” when I’m spending the kind of money we do on this hobby. And why I’ll probably keep climbing up the SVS sub ladder even though HSU might offer better value, after the way they bent the rules to allow me to upgrade both subs past the promised year.

maybe someone in Canada is paying attention and they’ll straighten things out but for now it seems wise to steer clear
I had high hopes for them as well. I loved everything about the speaker. Although, I didn’t get to really try them out like I wanted. Oh well. After that and dealing with them (knowing how they treated the matter) I wasn’t giving it a second go. Shame they’re ending up that way. Ruining a well established name they built in the past....

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone had first hand experience of the 8000f vs the JBL 590? I got the 590s due to an extreme sales price. Always have been curious about the RPs as I’m only into home theater. But happy with what I have

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I had high hopes for them as well. I loved everything about the speaker. Although, I didn’t get to really try them out like I wanted. Oh well. After that and dealing with them (knowing how they treated the matter) I wasn’t giving it a second go. Shame they’re ending up that way. Ruining a well established name they built in the past....
Seriously, if you recieved a speaker that was not yet assembled, they should be bending over backwards trying to make it right.
So, at this point we know the following departments are thoroughly F'ed up:
Manufacturing/assembly
Order Processing
Customer Service
That is not a casual fluke, it took effort on someone's part to either piss a bunch of people off or to seek out extreme incompetence.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess that front panel was not intended to come off since they did not finish the MDF under it.
Compare that to my old Studio 20's with an aluminum plate that was 3/8" proud of the baffle (even the port is reinforced! Not even @Danzilla31 is going to wear that port out!):
Don't be too sure about that one bub! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Has anyone had first hand experience of the 8000f vs the JBL 590? I got the 590s due to an extreme sales price. Always have been curious about the RPs as I’m only into home theater. But happy with what I have
Just like the op I really loved my RP 8000f's but I love my JBL 590's even more

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Seriously, if you recieved a speaker that was not yet assembled, they should be bending over backwards trying to make it right.
So, at this point we know the following departments are thoroughly F'ed up:
Manufacturing/assembly
Order Processing
Customer Service
That is not a casual fluke, it took effort on someone's part to either piss a bunch of people off or to seek out extreme incompetence.
Absolutely!

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I have not. Both are very highly regarded. I just can’t get past the bulkiness/looks of the JBL. I personally think they’re hideous. No offense to anyone who owns them. To each there own. My wife def wouldn’t appreciate looking at them either as told by her.

I’m picky. I prefer looks and sound combined. If one looks odd or ugly to my eyes, I don’t care how good they sound. It’s a fast pass. Again, no offense to anyone.

Try both. Send the lesser back. The RP series is hard to beat for HT use. They’re also fairly efficient. Rated at 98 but realistically around 92-93db. I doubt you’d be dissatisfied with the 8000f if you tried them. The walnut finish with copper woofer looks excellent IMHO.
557046D0-124A-421B-8373-1CB5F5A9F50A.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Pinnacle speakers are a bit more laid back then the Klipsch speakers, and that might suit your tastes more. I liked both the Pinnacle speakers and the RP-8000F speakers, although I didn't have them at the same time so I didn't compare them directly. I did do an A/B comparison of the RP-8000F vs the Paradigm Premier 800F, they are both good and have a lot in common as far as sound goes, but I did prefer the Premier 800f in the end. If I remember right, I don't think that the Klipsch speakers had deeper bass than the Pinnacle speakers though, they just had hotter bass. Anyway, you selected speakers the right way, by putting them through A/B comparisons. If you want to know how a speaker sound vs another, that is pretty much the only way to do it properly that is practical.
I'm thinking That's why I had a hard time enjoying the prime towers just too laid back and when you push them to bring an alive they get a lil edgy in the highs

I obviously like a much more forward speaker

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm thinking That's why I had a hard time enjoying the prime towers just too laid back and when you push them to bring an alive they get a lil edgy in the highs

I obviously like a much more forward speaker
Now the ultra bookshelves I thoroughly enjoyed and it makes me curious about there towers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The biggest gripe with the ultra towers is hard placement due to the side firing bass drivers.
I know it's the only thing holding me back on them down the road although I could always try them for 45 days see if I could make them work

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I know it's the only thing holding me back on them down the road although I could always try them for 45 days see if I could make them work
That’s true. Oddly, when i heard them. No matter which way I moved them. The bass aways sounded bloated. Everyone’s room is different though.YMMV.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Anyway, you selected speakers the right way, by putting them through A/B comparisons "in the room you will be listening to them". If you want to know how a speaker sound vs another, that is pretty much the only way to do it properly that is practical.
Can't say I "fixed" it, but I made it better!
I love in-home trials for the final word!

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Wow, that's absolutely insane!
I couldn’t wrap my head around it. Never in my life has any speaker done that out of the box. I actually appreciated Chinese crafted speakers more after that incident. So far, they’ve never let me down.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have not. Both are very highly regarded. I just can’t get past the bulkiness/looks of the JBL. I personally think they’re hideous. No offense to anyone who owns them. To each there own. My wife def wouldn’t appreciate looking at them either as told by her.

I’m picky. I prefer looks and sound combined. If one looks odd or ugly to my eyes, I don’t care how good they sound. It’s a fast pass. Again, no offense to anyone.

Try both. Send the lesser back. The RP series is hard to beat for HT use. They’re also fairly efficient. Rated at 98 but realistically around 92-93db. I doubt you’d be dissatisfied with the 8000f if you tried them. The walnut finish with copper woofer looks excellent IMHO.View attachment 37489
While personally I don't think the 590s look bad, they are a bit unusual....but both are coffin boxes and at least your wife is tolerant of those or you'd be stuck with in wall or in ceiling only!

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
While personally I don't think the 590s look bad, they are a bit unusual....but both are coffin boxes and at least your wife is tolerant of those or you'd be stuck with in wall or in ceiling only!
Very true! Surprising, she doesn’t mind towers (to an extent) but she says absolutely no to bookshelf speakers. I don’t mind! I prefer towers myself.

I think that’s why i don’t prefer 590s. They’re very unusual looking for my taste. JMO.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
After further inspecting the new speakers after I’ve finally been able to have some free time this weekend, I’ve noticed they also have factory blemishes/damage. Left, right and center have peeling vinyl wrap and the left speaker baffle is cracked towards three bottom.

The boxes showed up flawless. So, I highly doubt it was a shipping problem. Guess Chinese quality is sketchy too...:D:D
349EEC06-A1AA-4614-8D20-9621B3A141FC.jpeg
7D4CCA31-6983-4AB8-AD6F-0D7C41513423.jpeg
F247F52B-FC29-45D6-846A-DD3C42BF78F2.jpeg
2AD87065-0AC0-4F00-AEBC-8F7A3F21E750.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis