SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Review

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
At this point not sure what to say. You don’t seem to be comprehending the basic HT principles at Ninja status. Well, enjoy yourself and pls don’t feel obligated to respond to my posts and then I will not have to do so, which honestly is making me feel disgusted.
So.. you haven't heard back from Revel on how physics doesn't actually allow their lighter center-channel to match with their heavier towers?

What about the other manufacturers? Have any of them realized that they don't comprehend basic HT principles like you do and that they need to make centers as heavy as the L/R towers they pair them with?

I don't want to sounds cynical, but I almost think you haven't written them. Is it because you think that they can't learn "physics" as you have and so it's pointless?

But by all means: tell me the physics involved. I'm all ears.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Lol, I really hope you enjoy your 2006 speakers
That's what Revel said to you when you told them that they didn't understand HT principals and per "physics" their centers couldn't match with their towers? That seems an odd response from them.

Tell you what: I'll help argue your case with them. Just let me know which physics is involved here. Please put up the math. If you could reference the "HT principals" involved: that would be great!

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
That's what Revel said to you when you told them that they didn't understand HT principals and per "physics" their centers couldn't match with their towers? That seems an odd response from them.

Tell you what: I'll help argue your case with them. Just let me know which physics is involved here. Please put up the math. If you could reference the "HT principals" involved: that would be great!
The physics involved is that your speaker is a tiny little box producing tiny little sound, just like all tinny little boxes. It’s like a little frog trying to blow itself up to become a big frog - but blew up in the process.

Stop blowing up your little box and acknowledge that it is a little one. But yourself a bit one if you want to show it around. Until then, yes, you will have a little one that measured well in 2006.

Just to finish - I would not take that speaker if someone offered me £1K

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
The physics involved is that your speaker is a tiny little box producing tiny little sound, just like all tinny little boxes. It’s like a little frog trying to blow itself up to become a big frog - but blew up in the process.
What journal can I read about that physics in? "What's the little frog blowing up" formula, exactly?

Is that what you told Revel about their center channels being too light (per you)? What was their response?

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
Jerry, u just too funny. Enjoy that little thing of yours and stop pretending it is a big thing. It’s really simple; just look at how small it really is. No trick or funny business. It’s such a small (and old?) thing so should be your expectation and experience.

In the modern world, we do have way better and bigger things to play with. Albeit they might be a bit more expensive than in 2006.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Jerry, u just too funny. Enjoy that little thing of yours and stop pretending it is a big thing. It’s really simple; just look at how small it really is. No trick or funny business. It’s such a small (and old?) thing so should be your expectation and experience.

In the modern world, we do have way better and bigger things to play with. Albeit they might be a bit more expensive than in 2006.
No real need to get into graphs. It’s just about physics. Whoever tells me that 12kg centre box will work alongside 40kg tower has not tried a better way. And running a phantom centre at this price range is kind of pretty lame.
How did Revel respond to you letting them know that their 70lb center won't work alongside their 120lb towers?

Why do you think Revel (and basically everyone else) are making this mistake that "physics" makes happen.

What is the specific law being applied here? Can you share the math here please?

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
I'm reminded how many companies put lead weights into their products because it creates the perception of higher quality.
That would be a real dirty trick to try and fake good, solid, quality building.
Can you provide any actual documented evidence of a manufacturer doing this?
I've been reading Hi Fi equipment reviews both print and web since the early 1970s and can't remember a single case of that being brought up?
You are right that weight in itself means very little. But is does and can reflect good solid driver frames with large magnet structures and thick, heavy, non-resonant cabinet design. The old simple knuckle knock test isn't totally worthless either. :p

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
That would be a real dirty trick to try and fake good, solid, quality building.
Can you provide any actual documented evidence of a manufacturer doing this?
I've been reading Hi Fi equipment reviews both print and web since the early 1970s and can't remember a single case of that being brought up?
Documentation? I'd have to google same as you. Long ago I sold phones. I can tell you that several of the phones, including the GE cordless, at least some Sony cordless, and the Bell (GE?) touchtone desktop had weights screwed into the handset. (I know because I opened them and saw the weights).

You are right that weight in itself means very little. But is does and can reflect good solid driver frames with large magnet structures and thick, heavy, non-resonant cabinet design. The old simple knuckle knock test isn't totally worthless either.
I own cast marble speakers (GMA Europa).
I also own custom built speakers with concrete as part of the dampening mass from a builder obsessed with off-axis performance.

There're are some interesting stories around (I want to say) Kef incorporating the cabinet resonance as part of their sound. The SVS cardboard cylindrical subs are also a good example of something that doesn't "knock" well but sounds great.

Though, for an extreme example of where the knock test would fail: Planar speakers.

It's a data point, and we (with some reason) associate mass/rigidity with quality. But it can also fool you. ;)

Last edited:
S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
Documentation? I'd have to google same as you. Long ago I sold phones. I can tell you that several of the phones, including the GE cordless, at least some Sony cordless, and the Bell (GE?) touchtone desktop had weights screwed into the handset. (I know because I opened them and saw the weights).
So then your answer is NO, you can't supply any supporting evidence of speaker builders putting lead inside their cabinets to enhance their weight and feelings of a solid build..

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
So then your answer is NO, you can't supply any supporting evidence of speaker builders putting lead inside their cabinets to enhance their weight and feelings of a solid build..
I never said "speaker builders".

Since you raise it: I suspect it's happened in speakers, most likely with desktop speakers, but I never made that claim.

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
How did Revel respond to you letting them know that their 70lb center won't work alongside their 120lb towers?

Why do you think Revel (and basically everyone else) are making this mistake that "physics" makes happen.

What is the specific law being applied here? Can you share the math here please?
@JerryLove - you should really stop being disruptive and play at least fair for the community. This is not your private garden regardless of your "Jedi", sorry "Ninja" status. This community is for me and my views as well as yours.

Revel center is the best center available at the given price range (and probably much more than that) and works as well as it can with big towers. This was verified by Audioholics review from people far more trustworthy than you, and without any personal agenda of blowing their small speakers to the stars.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
If you are only concerned about yourself as it seems you are
You don’t seem to be comprehending the basic HT principles at Ninja status. Well, enjoy yourself and pls don’t feel obligated to respond to my posts and then I will not have to do so, which honestly is making me feel disgusted.
your speaker is a tiny little box producing tiny little sound, just like all tinny little boxes. It’s like a little frog trying to blow itself up to become a big frog - but blew up in the process.

Stop blowing up your little box and acknowledge that it is a little one. But yourself a bit one if you want to show it around. Until then, yes, you will have a little one that measured well in 2006.

Just to finish - I would not take that speaker if someone offered me £1K

It's likely worth noting that these comments are in this thread, but the insults are about a topic in a different thread. So the attempts to flame bait with insults are about some KL-650-THX speakers that have not been mentioned (by me or anyone not Oddball) in this thread, presumably in some attempt to upset me(?).

@JerryLove - you should really stop being disruptive and play at least fair for the community. This is not your private garden regardless of your "Jedi", sorry "Ninja" status. This community is for me and my views as well as yours.
You might want to re-read the Audioholics motto: "pursuing truth in audio and video".

As per the above, and across several threads, you've been literally and clearly deliberately insulting. You are even attempting it here, bringing up my status when I haven't as though you are responding to an appeal to authority.

Revel center is the best center available at the given price range (and probably much more than that) and works as well as it can with big towers. This was verified by Audioholics review from people far more trustworthy than you, and without any personal agenda of blowing their small speakers to the stars.
You claimed that "No real need to get into graphs. It’s just about physics. Whoever tells me that 12kg centre box will work alongside 40kg tower has not tried a better way."

One company that is telling you that is Revel. Their center is half the weight of its matching towers.

So which is your position? Are you claiming that Revel is right (and your statement above is wrong), or that your statement above is right and Revel is wrong. You can't have both.

That's the topic: your unsupported and false claim that a 12kg center cannot work with a 40kg tower. That and your literal dismissal of evidence, in the same quote, as irrelevant to what you think you know. On a sight about truth, your claim of fact here is most certainly up for scrutiny.

And I've asked for the physics you are referring to. You don't have any (because none exists).

Now you are back to an appeal to authority fallacy; but worse because you are actually putting your own words in.

So, as the person attempting to be on topic I'll again ask: Where is your support that a 12kg center cannot work with a 40kg tower; and how do you reconcile that claim with the fact that you believe that Revel's speaker lineup, which often includes 2:1 weight ratios between LR and C, "works" despite violating your claim? I have no interest in anything here but the truth or falsehood of claims of fact, such as yours above.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Since speakers were the topic of discussion here ????
Actually: the topic of discussion was whether you can use weight to determine capability / quality of a thing.

The fact that the actual example I used was not a speaker, I feel, should have made that pretty clear.

Last edited:
O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
Since speakers were the topic of discussion here ????
Exactly. I guess the @JerryLove owns the place and does how and when and where it pleases him. Must be good to feel like a king and trash the place while disregarding the reviews at this very site and being disrespectful and argumentative (without good reason except the argument).

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
I'm reminded how many companies put lead weights into their products because it creates the perception of higher quality.
The fact that the actual example I used was not a speaker, I feel, should have made that pretty clear.
I don't see any example stated in that post?
NO, the fact is you took a wide swing at the speaker market without any evidence to back it up and now your doing a dance to avoid that fact. Nuff said.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see any example stated in that post?
NO, the fact is you took a wide swing at the speaker market without any evidence to back it up and now your doing a dance to avoid that fact. Nuff said.
I don't know which "that post" you are artificially limiting context to; but in a post prior to the one where you claimed to not know I might be talking about something other than speakers is this: "Long ago I sold phones. I can tell you that several of the phones, including the GE cordless, at least some Sony cordless, and the Bell (GE?) touchtone desktop had weights screwed into the handset. (I know because I opened them and saw the weights)." - https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/svs-ultra-evolution-pinnacle-review.128853/post-1647523

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
When I go to the supermarket, I pick up everything before I buy it and heft it around.
My woman laughs at me.
But, if I don't like the heft...I don't buy it. :)
(this method is invalid at the Pillow Store)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis