Suggestions on new gear (primarily speakers)

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Hello my fellow Audioholics .. I’m sure you all get this question all the time. I recently had a semi drive through my front yard and cause a bunch of damage. I’ll be getting a decent payout and I’m leaning towards upgrading my HT.

Current gear:
Yamaha 3080 receiver
Sony x800 uhd and sacd player
Panamax 5300 power conditioner
Apple TV latest 4K version
Samsung 65in NU8000f
Epson 5030ub projector
Pro-ject RPM 5 with BP2 cart turntable
PlayStation 4
Computer

Speakers: 5.2.4 layout
Fronts and surrounds: Klipsch R-28f
Center: Elac uni-fi UC5
Front presence: old cerwin Vegas 12in woofer
Rear presence: old KLH floorstanders with dual 10in woofers
Subwoofers: SVS PB-13 ultra + Martin Logan dynamo 700. I also have a old MTX 12 in powered sub that I don’t usually use. It’s muddled compared to my other subs.

Room is 25x23 with 18 foot cathedral ceilings walls go up to 14 feet and it opens to the kitchen and living room. Rediculous amount of air to move.

I will have at minimum around 4-5k and at most 6-7k to play with. I’m still waiting for the insurance company to let me know if they plan to pay the full amount of my estimates.

I seem to forever get stuck upgrading components and suffering with my cheapish speakers. My plan was to upgrade the fronts and maybe the center to match.

I’m open to all suggestions and appreciate any effort put forward to help me. I recently joined this forum and have already had a positive experience. I have a magnolia design center locally and am not opposed to ordering internet direct.

Currently I’m leaning towards maybe a nice pair of R KEFs or maybe RF-7iii Klipsch.

Thanks so much
Randall

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are a lot of great speaker options depending on your preference... HT to music? how much? When you do listen to music, is it just background or critical?
4-5K is a great budget that really opens up a lot of options. Again depending on your usage...
Kef, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, PSB, Pardigm, RBH... the list can go on and on!
From the ID side, check out Ascend Acoustics, Salk Sound...

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I love to listen to music. I have tidal MQA and forgot to mention that I have a red firefly audio quest DAC. The room is multipurpose. I have mostly retired my projector until 4K units become more accessible.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For Klipsch look at their RP series

I would also at some Revel towers and center channel

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If music is important to you, I would strongly recommend Salk Sound for your mains and center... they can do double duty for HT, as well, but they very well might be some of the nicest speakers out there for really good accurate music reproduction. Not to take anything away from anybody else, mind. :)

My experience with Monitor Audio Silver 500 was excellent. I liked them the best of everything I listened too. (They were beat out by a different ID company that is now no longer producing speakers, but Dennis was one of the principle designers with Jim Salk... so his work is still available there.)

My KEF experience left me a little jaded, as I found myself sensitive to their midrange with a little fatigue. Great sound, though, especially the old R900. Martin Logan Motion 60XT was nice, but for the cost didn't outperform the Monitor Audio Silver 500.

If you don't mind horns, I've heard a lot of nice things said about the Klipsch RPs... especially after they tweeked their design some.

Another outlier who had a great review from AVS is the new KLH line with the Kendall towers.

Happy hunting!

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
For Klipsch look at their RP series

I would also at some Revel towers and center channel
I have definitely looked into the RP series from Klipsch and had considered slowly upgrading into it before this windfall. These Klipsch fronts and surrounds (r-28f) that I’m using are a fantastic value when on sale at up to 50% off. I’ve heard that the RP series is an upgrade on them with a better tuned tweeter/horn. The reason I was considering going to the Reference 7 iii for front channel is that they have 10in mid-woofer and upgraded tweeter.
Here is a link to the specs and brochure for them:https://www.klipsch.com/products/rf-7-iii-floorstanding-speaker

My thinking was I could go to a full 7.2.4 if I got these and a amp or possibly mono block them. The 6 would match and just for coordinations sake I would likely pick up a nice RP center. From there I’d mostly be looking to get these giant floor standers out and some good bookshelves to cover my Atmos effects.

I’m a big fan of value and I’m well aware of the principle of diminishing returns. I can’t say if I have golden ears or just expensive taste. So I’m trying to find the sweet spot.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have definitely looked into the RP series from Klipsch and had considered slowly upgrading into it before this windfall. These Klipsch fronts and surrounds (r-28f) that I’m using are a fantastic value when on sale at up to 50% off. I’ve heard that the RP series is an upgrade on them with a better tuned tweeter/horn. The reason I was considering going to the Reference 7 iii for front channel is that they have 10in mid-woofer and upgraded tweeter.
The RP-280f will have dual 8 inch woofers --- and you do have some subwoofers ..... many Klipsch fans are liking the RP series

Also (if you can handle the looks) keep an eye out for the JBL Studio 590 and they tend to go on sale from time to time.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hello my fellow Audioholics .. I’m sure you all get this question all the time. I recently had a semi drive through my front yard and cause a bunch of damage. I’ll be getting a decent payout and I’m leaning towards upgrading my HT.

Current gear:
Yamaha 3080 receiver
Samsung 65in NU8000f
Epson 5030ub projector
PlayStation 4
Computer

Subwoofers: SVS PB-13 ultra + Martin Logan dynamo 700. I also have a old MTX 12 in powered sub that I don’t usually use. It’s muddled compared to my other subs.

Room is 25x23 with 18 foot cathedral ceilings walls go up to 14 feet and it opens to the kitchen and living room. Rediculous amount of air to move.

I will have at minimum around 4-5k and at most 6-7k to play with. I’m still waiting for the insurance company to let me know if they plan to pay the full amount of my estimates.

I seem to forever get stuck upgrading components and suffering with my cheapish speakers. My plan was to upgrade the fronts and maybe the center to match.

I’m open to all suggestions and appreciate any effort put forward to help me. I recently joined this forum and have already had a positive experience. I have a magnolia design center locally and am not opposed to ordering internet direct.

Currently I’m leaning towards maybe a nice pair of R KEFs or maybe RF-7iii Klipsch.

Thanks so much
Randall
I like the Canton Vento series from Accessories 4 Less with the ceramic tweeter. I have the 820.2 in my bedroom 2.1(recently replaced by 826 model).

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I like the Canton Vento series from Accessories 4 Less with the ceramic tweeter. I have the 820.2 in my bedroom 2.1(recently replaced by 826 model).
I really wish that I could hear some of these speakers like the Cantons. I like accessories for less and keep an eye on their site. I’ve yet to order from them but they seem to have some really good deals.

How would you characterize the Cantons?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I really wish that I could hear some of these speakers like the Cantons. I like accessories for less and keep an eye on their site. I’ve yet to order from them but they seem to have some really good deals.

How would you characterize the Cantons?
The tweeters are very nice. Anything metal like cymbals etc will stand out. Also the cabinets are very well built. No hollow sound on these. I cross them over to a sub at 80hz.

I have considered doing a full surround setup with these or even the towers but I’m lacking the funds at the moment. The absolute best deals are usually right before Christmas but every few months there is a 15% off deal but they are already heavily discounted. No tax and often free shipping. YMMV. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That is a real good deal on the Vento speakers -- I would keep them on a short list

K

KallyCoda

Enthusiast
You really need to get out and listen. What is good is whatever pleases your ears - doesn't matter what make it is. I took me 30 years to finally accept that. I continued to gravitate the the 'best write-ups' and best reviews but ultimately found I enjoy a distinctive sound. I use a combo of Golden ear and Def Tech and to me it sounds awesome. Go out and define your own style. You'll love it that much more.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

Current gear:
Yamaha 3080 receiver
Samsung 65in NU8000f
Epson 5030ub projector
PlayStation 4
Computer

Thanks so much
Randall
There's quite a difference between those two. I think that model Klipsch does emphasize mid-bass a bit heavy. If that budget allows for it, the new KEF R11 with an R2c and you'd fill that room pretty good. I was SO impressed with what the 4 smaller drivers of the R11 can put out for bass. It's far more than their specs would suggest, they've started being very conservative whereas other companies seem to exaggerate. A sub would only be needed for LFE in movies (the seat shaking lows you can't actually hear.)

A Magnolia center should actually have a pair to demo, though they rarely give them enough power to sing.

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Sounds like the Cantons would perform well on brass which is appealing. They are definitely staying on the short list.

There's quite a difference between those two. I think that model Klipsch does emphasize mid-bass a bit heavy. If that budget allows for it, the new KEF R11 with an R2c and you'd fill that room pretty good. I was SO impressed with what the 4 smaller drivers of the R11 can put out for bass. It's far more than their specs would suggest, they've started being very conservative whereas other companies seem to exaggerate. A sub would only be needed for LFE in movies (the seat shaking lows you can't actually hear.)

A Magnolia center should actually have a pair to demo, though they rarely give them enough power to sing.

My MDC has some nice gear to sample but the better amplified gear resides in the higher end room. They have the R7 and I used the Yamaha 3080 since that’s what I have. They have quite a few Def Tech and Martin Logan. A good number of bowers and Wilkins. They have a reference bookshelf kef and the R7 as well as the lsx and LS50’s. They are supposed to get some blades soon and they have high end Martin Logan electrostats as well as the full compliment of top end B and W. Most of that super high end room is well out of my price range.

The demo on the R7 was just Billie Jean on DSD fed into the Yamaha with a USB stick I prepared. It did a good job of imaging and providing a richer midrange than my current gear. I like the appearance and the UniQ driver. The speakers was among a bunch of floor standers and was too far apart for ideal critical listening. I look for the nuanced sounds of Michael snapping his fingers and slapping his hip to determine how well imaged the sound is. I might go back and spend an extended time demoing the 800 line of B&W and more tracks on the R7. The listening room is large but it’s closed in and has regular ceiling height. My guess is the R11 will sound similar in my room to the R7 in the smaller space.

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I can say that the Ventos are a great speaker. The accessories4less site offers a great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice .. I’m still waiting on a check from the insurance company. The positive review on the Klipsch RP8000s have me thinking about saving a few bucks. I could get them and one of the nicer centers from them and have uniformity with my lower 7 channels. To push the AV receiver to 7.2.4 I need at least a stereo amp. Choosing these value fronts would free up the money to purchase an amp.

I’m still on the fence though as this might be a rare opportunity to splurge on a high end set of front speakers. I’m not so poor that I couldn’t buy a nice center and amp later but it might be a few months to get one then a few months to get the other.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice .. I’m still waiting on a check from the insurance company. The positive review on the Klipsch RP8000s have me thinking about saving a few bucks. I could get them and one of the nicer centers from them and have uniformity with my lower 7 channels. To push the AV receiver to 7.2.4 I need at least a stereo amp. Choosing these value fronts would free up the money to purchase an amp.

I’m still on the fence though as this might be a rare opportunity to splurge on a high end set of front speakers. I’m not so poor that I couldn’t buy a nice center and amp later but it might be a few months to get one then a few months to get the other.
Put more money in speakers than amps. Plenty of very good stereo and 3 channel amps that are very reasonable

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
You really need to get out and listen. What is good is whatever pleases your ears - doesn't matter what make it is. I took me 30 years to finally accept that. I continued to gravitate the the 'best write-ups' and best reviews but ultimately found I enjoy a distinctive sound. I use a combo of Golden ear and Def Tech and to me it sounds awesome. Go out and define your own style. You'll love it that much more.
Nice, that's one of the main principles with this hobby define your own style. Well said.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice, that's one of the main principles with this hobby define your own style. Well said.
I was surprised to see how good those Klipsch 8000 series measured on Audioholics. It looks like the response is about +/- 2dB from 250Hz-16kHz, which is great.

This shatters the bad "bright" image given to Klipsch over the years since the older Klipsch speakers never measured this great on FR.

The tweeter is Titanium material, which is great. The dual woofers are some type of Aluminum material, which is also good.

And the price is pretty good.

I was looking at the Canton Chrono DC 509 on S&V measurement. The on-axis response is about +/-3dB, which is pretty good. But not as good as the Klipsch 8000F.

Last edited:
R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I got an offer yesterday from the insurance company and made them a counter offer. I should have a reply by Tuesday next week. I’ll have at least 5k to invest.

I’m leaning towards getting a pair of the RF-7 iii and a RC-64 iii. The three are 5100$ so right at my budget and would likely serve me well for a long time. All of the reviews I can find rave and they’ll match the majority of speakers that I have now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis