Suggestions on new gear (primarily speakers)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But for now I'm just enjoying these speakers :D
And well you should!
Just like you found what you loved on your journey I found mine. I think for both of us we both ended up choosing something we maybe never imagined we were going for in the beginning.
Way too true, amigo... way too true. When I was first told to look at Dennis' gear... I was not into it. Didn't know any better, and the Phil 3 is not... conventionally attractive. Same with Salk... his cabinets are stunning, but I didn't understand the gear enough to get it! (not buy, but grok, dig?) I do, now. And if I were to buy a 2-channel system today... Veracity HT3... or if I really had financial impunity SS8. Ha! :p
But I get it bro. I really do. Mind you I'm not telling you or anybody else what to like though. On the contrary. I'm not trying to push these on people. This was just my experience.
Same here... and of course, with Dennis hanging it up, I can't if I wanted to. :( (Hope he's on the road to recovery!) It seems possible somebody will carry the BMR torch forward. But how that looks with the BMRs...? I doubt it will be as affordable as they were. At 1350 a pair last year, they easily outperformed towers at twice the cost per pair and more! Not an easy feat.

The important message for all is that if you take the time to search and learn and listen... find what you like and pursue it knowing you have something you will (not can, but WILL) enjoy for years to come!

My goal of learning to build speakers is not to replace now what I don't even have yet (the Phil 3s),and the BMRs (which I find absolutely engaging and pleasurable to listen to). Rather, I want to be able to build their replacements 5 or 10 years down the line. ;) And if I can't... well, I'll still have amazing speakers... and maybe something new will come along.

Last edited:
R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I’m glad I quit lurking and posted up this thread. It’s looking like I’ll be getting:
2x RF-7 iii &
1x RC- 64 iii +
Parasound A23+ 160 wpc x 2
Pair or RP 600ms all for around 5k

Thanks guys ... I love getting a good value and thanks to joining I was able to get this hookup. So to you lurkers ... sign up and chime in. You never know what it might lead to.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m glad I quit lurking and posted up this thread
We each determine our own level of involvement! If you engage, and own it, you are in control. If you sit back and let life live you... not. As a Chef, I fully subscribe to the idea that we MUST be willing participants in life. If you choose to not act, you are allowing life to choose for you, and that gets you nowhere.
"Fishing for a good time starts with throwing in the line" ~Tom Waits
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" ~Allen Saunders

Hope you hang around and keep participating! :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
And well you should!

Way too true, amigo... way too true. When I was first told to look at Dennis' gear... I was not into it. Didn't know any better, and the Phil 3 is not... conventionally attractive. Same with Salk... his cabinets are stunning, but I didn't understand the gear enough to get it! (not buy, but grok, dig?) I do, now. And if I were to buy a 2-channel system today... Veracity HT3... or if I really had financial impunity SS8. Ha! :p

Same here... and of course, with Dennis hanging it up, I can't if I wanted to. :( (Hope he's on the road to recovery!) It seems possible somebody will carry the BMR torch forward. But how that looks with the BMRs...? I doubt it will be as affordable as they were. At 1350 a pair last year, they easily outperformed towers at twice the cost per pair and more! Not an easy feat.

The important message for all is that if you take the time to search and learn and listen... find what you like and pursue it knowing you have something you will (not can, but WILL) enjoy for years to come!

My goal of learning to build speakers is not to replace now what I don't even have yet (the Phil 3s),and the BMRs (which I find absolutely engaging and pleasurable to listen to). Rather, I want to be able to build their replacements 5 or 10 years down the line. ;) And if I can't... well, I'll still have amazing speakers... and maybe something new will come along.
What month did you order your BMRs? October? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m glad I quit lurking and posted up this thread. It’s looking like I’ll be getting:
2x RF-7 iii &
1x RC- 64 iii +
Parasound A23+ 160 wpc x 2
Pair or RP 600ms all for around 5k

Thanks guys ... I love getting a good value and thanks to joining I was able to get this hookup. So to you lurkers ... sign up and chime in. You never know what it might lead to.
Oh my LORD I love your setup that's going to sound so EPIC o_O

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What month did you order your BMRs? October? :)
Not that long ago, Snake! Ordered end of November, BMRs delivered end of December. The rest of the gear coming from Dennis was here during the early part of January.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not that long ago, Snake! Ordered end of November, BMRs delivered end of December. The rest of the gear coming from Dennis was here during the early part of January.
Nice! Ya I nearly pulled the trigger on a few myself last year. :) No time for regrets. I’ll have my budget ready by next year for my next round of upgrades. Lots of great choices out there. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice! Ya I nearly pulled the trigger on a few myself last year. :) No time for regrets. I’ll have my budget ready by next year for my next round of upgrades. Lots of great choices out there. :)
Still thinking about upgrading your Canton rig? Or a different one?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Still thinking about upgrading your Canton rig? Or a different one?
I really like the Vento series setup as 2.1 so that’s a solid option for a 5.2.4 small theater. Not going to think too hard about it until I have the funds. :)

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I made payment today for:
2-RF-7 iii
1-RC-64 iii
2-RP-8000F
2-RP-600M

I’m going to do some AB listening on the RP and RF just for fun and see if I can distinguish the difference. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I made payment today for:
2-RF-7 iii
1-RC-64 iii
2-RP-8000F
2-RP-600M

I’m going to do some AB listening on the RP and RF just for fun and see if I can distinguish the difference. Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Did you back off on the Parasounds, or are you just listing speakers here?

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Did you back off on the Parasounds, or are you just listing speakers here?
Yeah for now I’m holding off on a new power amp. I’ll set up the 7.2.4 though and I’ll have to get with him later to see about a amp. I have several old AV amps that I might be able to use but none of them have channel line inputs. The Onkyo did but it’s dead.

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Speakers arrived today and I got them unboxed... first recommendation to Klipsch is build in some hand holds into the boxes. I unloaded and toted them all through the house... what a chore. First impressions was positive but I’ll try to start properly breaking them in tonight. I held off on watching the second episode of game of thrones.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah for now I’m holding off on a new power amp. I’ll set up the 7.2.4 though and I’ll have to get with him later to see about a amp. I have several old AV amps that I might be able to use but none of them have channel line inputs. The Onkyo did but it’s dead.
You room is big, but if you sit 4 or even 5 meters from those highly sensitive towers, you shouldn't need any external amp to hit reference level with ease. I am assuming those 96 to 102 dB/2.83V/1m speakers should be able to do at least 90 to 93 dB/1W/1m.

If you do need an amp for the front, the A23 is too small for the RX-A3080, that I bet will perform better on the bench based on measurements I have seen for it's predecessors. To be meaningful, you need at least 200W/300W into 8/4 ohms rated power amps for the RF-7iii and RC-64iii.

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
You room is big, but if you sit 4 or even 5 meters from those highly sensitive towers, you shouldn't need any external amp to hit reference level with ease. I am assuming those 96 to 102 dB/2.83V/1m speakers should be able to do at least 90 to 93 dB/1W/1m.

If you do need an amp for the front, the A23 is too small for the RX-A3080, that I bet will perform better on the bench based on measurements I have seen for it's predecessors. To be meaningful, you need at least 200W/300W into 8/4 ohms rated power amps for the RF-7iii and RC-64iii.
On their spec sheet it mentions that rating is in a typical listening space with boundary gain so yeah probably 93ish is my guess. I used my spl meter for a quick run through on levels and got them close. I still haven’t run YPAO but I will soon.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Speakers arrived today and I got them unboxed... first recommendation to Klipsch is build in some hand holds into the boxes. I unloaded and toted them all through the house... what a chore. First impressions was positive but I’ll try to start properly breaking them in tonight. I held off on watching the second episode of game of thrones.
Episode 2 is good, but Episode 3 is where you'll really want the new system locked, loaded, and ready to rumble!
Hang onto your seat!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Episode 2 is good, but Episode 3 is where you'll really want the new system locked, loaded, and ready to rumble!
Hang onto your seat!!!
Definitely looking forward to E3. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
On their spec sheet it mentions that rating is in a typical listening space with boundary gain so yeah probably 93ish is my guess. I used my spl meter for a quick run through on levels and got them close. I still haven’t run YPAO but I will soon.
Ohhhh bro I'm so envious!!! What a stellar setup!!!! I can't wait to hear your full impressions!!!

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Ohhhh bro I'm so envious!!! What a stellar setup!!!! I can't wait to hear your full impressions!!!
May have an issue with that. One of the 8000f might have an issue. Tweeter appears to be producing static for some reason. I’ll toy with it tonight maybe it’s a cabling issue. I’m not a big fan of the staggered binding posts. There isn’t enough room to use most of my bananas. Might buy me some spades.

Regarding the RF-7 iii they sound great in pure direct mode. I’m not finding the highs fatiguing at all but limited listening sessions so far. They definitely produce more bass even stiff and new than my old r28fs did and have much better highs.

The RC64iii is great. This center speaker is clearly on another level as compares to my previous center speakers. Great voicing on both men and women. Seems to do a much better job with lower level dialogue.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
May have an issue with that. One of the 8000f might have an issue. Tweeter appears to be producing static for some reason. I’ll toy with it tonight maybe it’s a cabling issue. I’m not a big fan of the staggered binding posts. There isn’t enough room to use most of my bananas. Might buy me some spades.

Regarding the RF-7 iii they sound great in pure direct mode. I’m not finding the highs fatiguing at all but limited listening sessions so far. They definitely produce more bass even stiff and new than my old r28fs did and have much better highs.

The RC64iii is great. This center speaker is clearly on another level as compares to my previous center speakers. Great voicing on both men and women. Seems to do a much better job with lower level dialogue.
Yeah that sucks on the 8000f every now and again we get a lemon. Hope you get it worked out if not hopefully the dealer will make it right for you. On a bright note 1 of them is not that crazy expensive either.

The feedback on the system so far is greatly appreciated I'm very very curious about that Rf 7III lineup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis