Subwoofer disappointment - Am I under-powered or configured wrong?

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
Correct. I won't put anything larger than say a 10" sub in the rear corners. I wired the corners for subs and it sound like that was a bad idea since the 10's are kinds pointless now.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Correct. I won't put anything larger than say a 10" sub in the rear corners. I wired the corners for subs and it sound like that was a bad idea since the 10's are kinds pointless now.
Well maybe four PC2000 pro’s? I wouldn’t use any of the old ones, but four good quality subs can be really really awesome. Now those ceiling speakers…

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
Interesting idea. So what about using 4 smaller identical subs instead of two 15" subs? I ran all the wires in the wall and hate for it to go to waste but.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I put 4 speakers in the ceiling.
Welcome to AH.
You have two front looking pictures, nothing back looking.
From the picture it seems your front Atmos is over your front speaker? If this is so, that is not good at all.
Can you relocate them backwards?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Interesting idea. So what about using 4 smaller identical subs instead of two 15" subs? I ran all the wires in the wall and hate for it to go to waste but.....
In my opinion, if you want powerful bass response you need to go with 15" at least, or perhaps just 2 -18" up front?
ps. you really should get a much larger TV as well while you are at it.

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
The front ceiling speakers are closer to the couch than the front tower speakers but only by 2-3 feet.

I will take more photos tonight.

Construction is done and we are on to other things. Access it really difficult and we won't be relocating anything. Some of the stuff is where it had to be or I had to go without. I chose to do the best I could at the time.

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
In my opinion, if you want powerful bass response you need to go with 15" at least, or perhaps just 2 -18" up front?
ps. you really should get a much larger TV as well while you are at it.
I am satisfied with the TV and the cabinet that it's in. That won't be changing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s kinda why I suggested the PC’s. Four of them would be very very good. You could even try pb 1000’s but I would start higher up the food chain myself. Two Rythmik fv18’s now, and two later!!!

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
That’s kinda why I suggested the PC’s. Four of them would be very very good. You could even try pb 1000’s but I would start higher up the food chain myself. Two Rythmik fv18’s now, and two later!!!
I need to read up more on the PC's. I didn't think about 4 of them at first. Maybe get two and see how that goes. I think I can make room for two more in the rear. They are an interesting design being round.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Two of my three subs are their older big brothers. Personally I love the design as it’s not just a big ol boring box. Plus the footprint is much smaller. They’re also much lighter and easier to maneuver.

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
Two of my three subs are their older big brothers. Personally I love the design as it’s not just a big ol boring box. Plus the footprint is much smaller. They’re also much lighter and easier to maneuver.
I am curious. What are the odd of two if the round PC's filling my needs? I am leaning towards a pair of the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP subs. If those work out then two of those would be less expensive than 4 of the PC's

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think that two PC’s could do a good job. Easily better than what you have now. IIRC, off hand, the pc2000 pro and the MK5 are very close in performance, with the edge problem just barely going the the HSU. this is from my failing memory lol. @shadyJ probably has a file with a side by side of them. The main advantage that the svs might have is the app control, and three band EQ. Plus the “free” shipping both ways of you don’t like the performance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think that two PC’s could do a good job. Easily better than what you have now. IIRC, off hand, the pc2000 pro and the MK5 are very close in performance, with the edge problem just barely going the the HSU. this is from my failing memory lol. @shadyJ probably has a file with a side by side of them. The main advantage that the svs might have is the app control, and three band EQ. Plus the “free” shipping both ways of you don’t like the performance.
My guess is that PC-2000 Pro is pretty close to the VTF-3 mk5 from 20 to 31Hz, but the Hsu will take a significant lead above that point. The Hsu may also have more power below 20Hz as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Two fifteens will best four 10" subs. 12" would be a tossup.

S

Speedfast

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will go with a pair of the 15" HSU's.

I think someone asked for a picture of the rear of the room. Here are both in one post.

2022-08-30 06.39.52.jpg

2022-08-31 07.26.29.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis