S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Gatekeeper - Serpent. Of the retro synth stuff, one of my favorite acts was The Gatekeeper. Such a massive sound and evocative of horror movies of the 80's while being more than a mere homage. 'Serpent' is an amazing tune to play loud! Although this is pretty retro, it still has some candy for your subs to chew on.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK, I did not mean to write a treatise on electronic music history...
I was OK as a performance major in music school, but crushed my musicology classes. Well stated, Shady. I'm not a huge electronica buff, but really appreciate the lineage that you laid out! Still diggin the candy, too... Finally into the 2018 posts! Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is an absolutely banging 'skullstep' tune, extreme high BPM, a pure adrenaline rush like the 15 seconds after mainlining a half kilo of coke before your heart explodes: Limewax & Current Value - Tempest. I suppose one thing that gets me so hype about it is I used to be a big fan of Quake 3, and this recording samples Q3 in a totally awesome way. Makes me want to reinstall that game and go a few rounds with Xaero, although I would probably get my ass handed to me nowadays. For Q3 fans with a killer sub setup, this tune is required listening and needs to be cranked loud with subs extra hot.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a tune with some pretty deep bass from the genre that really turbocharged my interest in music: Velocette - Space Q. This comes from the mid 90's. I quite liked music before than but it was mostly some particular recording or a few tracks from a certain album. I was a young teenager and wasn't really a fan of any genre in particular, but did love certain albums and tracks. Electronic ambient music, as it was conceived in the early to mid 90s, changed that. It majorly expanded my ideas of what music could be, and I was totally hooked on this type of music from the moment I discovered it. Before then I thought all music was structured a certain way, and had to have certain things; it was something of an ossified art form for me at that time (I did not have access or knowledge of a wider world of music at that point). Ambient music changed all of that for me ('ambient' here is a misnomer; it can definitely be more than background music). I wouldn't be into audio nearly as much today if this genre hadn't pulled me into music so hard. I doubt anyone listening to this particular tune now will get why or how this sort of music could strike such a chord in someone, but I suppose you would have to be where I was when it hit me.

Regarding this particular tune, it is very mellow, great for chilling out late night. The bass isn't extremely powerful but it extends very deep (single digit frequencies) and has a very dense spectral character. It is an odd use of low-frequencies but so many tunes like this were experimental.

nice deep earhole teasing... ;) I could feel it in a very seductive and alluring manner that makes me wanna... play the next one!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Now that I'm caught up to the real world... I need to contribute. Don't have a visualizer to play with, but was checking out the Wu catalog when I found Wu Tang Meets the Indie Culture Vol2: Enter the Dubstep

This cut seems appropriate. Please enjoy. And thank you all for what has been shared previously!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Now that I'm caught up to the real world... I need to contribute. Don't have a visualizer to play with, but was checking out the Wu catalog when I found Wu Tang Meets the Indie Culture Vol2: Enter the Dubstep

This cut seems appropriate. Please enjoy. And thank you all for what has been shared previously!

WU-TANG Nice! :)

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Shady, my apologiesfor biting your steez, but this has got to be shared...
You gave us the Namlook-Montana: Labrynth Path I

I've been working my way through the 5 albums and am blown away so far... considering I'm not hard into electronica, that alone should mean something. Its not life altering, not in the way that seeing Parsifal live at the SF War Memorial Opera House was... but still...

And this cut damn near broke the house!

For all of my attempts to minimize the sympathetic vibrations in my room............

I offer up, with all thanks to our Infrasonic Guru:

Namlook-Montana: Labrynth 3 Path XXI

All of these are available through Apple Music, too. If you like something a little chill, deep and with gravitas, I heartily recommend giving these guys work a listen!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, my apologiesfor biting your steez, but this has got to be shared...
You gave us the Namlook-Montana: Labrynth Path I

I've been working my way through the 5 albums and am blown away so far... considering I'm not hard into electronica, that alone should mean something. Its not life altering, not in the way that seeing Parsifal live at the SF War Memorial Opera House was... but still...

And this cut damn near broke the house!

For all of my attempts to minimize the sympathetic vibrations in my room............

I offer up, with all thanks to our Infrasonic Guru:

Namlook-Montana: Labrynth 3 Path XXI

All of these are available through Apple Music, too. If you like something a little chill, deep and with gravitas, I heartily recommend giving these guys work a listen!
That's really cool that you dig Namlook. That original album is actually a 5.1 DTS recording, but the multichannel album is probably very expensive at this point. I have been a big Namlook fan since the mid 90's when I got into electronic ambient music. What is funny is what made me a fan of his: I took delivery of a package that was wrongfully sent to me, they got the address right but the name wrong. I thought what the hell, and opened it up since it was from a cool record store that I knew about, just to see what the guy had ordered. It was a bunch of Fax CDs, stuff by Pete Namlook. I gave them a listen and loved it. I ended up forwarding the package to the right guy, but not before recording those CDs on cassette tapes!

Sadly, Pete Namlook passed away in 2012 but he has left a tremendous legacy in electronic music. He ran a record label called 'Fax +49-69/450464' (he just named it after his fax number, lol), but everyone just called it 'Fax.' Pete was hugely prolific. Not every album he made was amazing, but he has made a number of all time classics that are as good as anything anyone has ever done. If you like very chilled out electronic music, one of the best is his 'Air' series, check out Air I' and 'Air II.' In the genre of ambient music those are considered all time classics, and the other Air albums are quite good as well. Or just pick up any compilation released by Fax, those are all solid.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is some more '80s inspired synthwave music with some tasty basslines for your subs: Dynatron - Pulse Power. Definitely more mid bass than deep bass, but what a sound! It sounds like what would happen if '80s-era Tangerine Dream had scored The Terminator. Very kick-ass!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here is some more '80s inspired synthwave music with some tasty basslines for your subs: Dynatron - Pulse Power. Definitely more mid bass than deep bass, but what a sound! It sounds like what would happen if '80s-era Tangerine Dream had scored The Terminator. Very kick-ass!

def a 80's synth-movie score! kept flashing back to old 80's action flicks with Schwarz, Norris... Golan and Globus production. ;)
Cheers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's really cool that you dig Namlook. That original album is actually a 5.1 DTS recording, but the multichannel album is probably very expensive at this point.
BTW, emailed with Montana to find out if the lossless download included the 5.1 coding... currently does not, but he said he is considering getting that up for download! ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Stumbled on this after Tidal went rogue after playing Gramatik:
Might not be the lowest, but my subs seemed happy to have a little something more to do. :)

Edit: On second thought, and second listen at appropriate volume and trim...
Run'em HOT, Boyz! We have structural vibrations. :D

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Stumbled on this after Tidal went rogue after playing Gramatik:
Might not be the lowest, but my subs seemed happy to have a little something more to do. :)

Edit: On second thought, and second listen at appropriate volume and trim...
Run'em HOT, Boyz! We have structural vibrations. :D
Ok, I am really digging this tune! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, I am really digging this tune! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
You're welcome! The albums not bad... couple other good cuts on it... little too 2013 dubstep for me to handle in one sitting, switched back to Gramatik: 2015: Coffee Shop Selection. Not as low, but dig his Hip-Hop/Chill sensibilities. ;)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Crank this up and tell me what you hear. I don't think it's really sub region, but I think subs will make this sound crazy good.

I see a lot of Yello as testing/showcase material lately. Some I found decent even to listen when not demonstrating the equipment, like "Kiss in Blue".

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Be careful.
Ha!
I was, like, ain't nothin goin on here. Then I turnt it up a little more. Still like, whatup? Turnt it ap again. Was about to be all like, hell nah...
But then I saw the things shaking.
I didn't hear it.
I didn't feel it.
I saw it. :eek::oops::cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis