Sub upgrade opinions

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’d look at some of the clamping style speaker mounts. Easy to use and can hold a lot of weight generally. My former surrounds were close to 40lbs and hung on the wall just fine. I did use a header in the wall to mount them on as this was during the build of the house. You’ll definitely want to find a stud to screw into.

Mount-It! Speaker Wall Mounts, Pair of Universal Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Brackets, Large or Small Speakers, 2 Mounts, 55 Lbs Capacity, Black (MI-SB37) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZE0O8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qVyjFb23Y0Q3J
I'm currently using these ones in your first link and they're really solid. They're nice because they're adjustable and they can hold a lot of weight.

Like Bill says, you definitely want to find a stud to mount them to.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
SCREW IT...................................... ALL CAUTION THROWN TO THE WIND.........................

I'm going to be having a talk with the doggie and maybe try to do some discipline training with the mail lady. May have to put safety straps on them to the wall even so they can't fall over.

BUT.............. I'm in. Ordered the CANTON SL 596.2 set in gloss black with the free CANTON SL 556.2 center speaker. Both being in Florida, I may have them as early as Tuesday.

So, here is the plan I'm thinking:
> Next upgrade will be head unit (higher end AVR or separates like emotiva)
> Then I want to add the corresponding Canton speakers like the atmos and rear surround speakers
> Lastly, is the PC-2000 pro still going to be the right subwoofer, or is there a better way to go with the canton front end? The PC-2000 just showed up but I didn't even open it yet. Have to tackle some chores first. But I'm wondering if I might be better with something different on the sub-front now?

Thanks guys. Hoping the doggie factor isn't going to make me regret this direction. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
SCREW IT...................................... ALL CAUTION THROWN TO THE WIND.........................

I'm going to be having a talk with the doggie and maybe try to do some discipline training with the mail lady. May have to put safety straps on them to the wall even so they can't fall over.

BUT.............. I'm in. Ordered the CANTON SL 596.2 set in gloss black with the free CANTON SL 556.2 center speaker. Both being in Florida, I may have them as early as Tuesday.

So, here is the plan I'm thinking:
> Next upgrade will be head unit (higher end AVR or separates like emotiva)
> Then I want to add the corresponding Canton speakers like the atmos and rear surround speakers
> Lastly, is the PC-2000 pro still going to be the right subwoofer, or is there a better way to go with the canton front end? The PC-2000 just showed up but I didn't even open it yet. Have to tackle some chores first. But I'm wondering if I might be better with something different on the sub-front now?

Thanks guys. Hoping the doggie factor isn't going to make me regret this direction. :)
Congrats. You'll figure out the stability thing I'm sure. No reason to change direction on sub, the speaker doesn't matter that much unless it's f3 is above the sub's range or something along those lines. If you had a cat you might worry about the PC2000 :)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Congrats. You'll figure out the stability thing I'm sure. No reason to change direction on sub, the speaker doesn't matter that much unless it's f3 is above the sub's range or something along those lines. If you had a cat you might worry about the PC2000 :)

Ha. No cats here due to allergies. Only a labradoodle. It’s one of the reasons I did not pursue used in this case, including the song towers I asked about before.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
The Gloss White ones Sound Better

Ha........You funny.

My wife said ABSOLUTELY NO to the white ones. I asked as we have white DefTech now and the white doesn't show dust as bad. But, it's Gloss Black, or another speaker option that doesn't seem to be as good of a deal. Personally, I like the actual look of the Sonos Faber Venere 3.0 in Walnut, or some of the custom wood options out there, but Canton is already in process and I think it seems to be best return for the dollar at the moment. A full 596.2 setup with 556.2 center, 500 atmos and a matching .2 surround should be an amazing upgrade over my current system. The PC-2000 and future new amp/processor is just icing on the cake. :)

And who needs to start a new thread. You guys keep answering my questions here so I'll just keep on going so it's all in one place. LOL :)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Over on the equipment thread, i just posted this. Reposting here as I'm thinking with the other upgrades it might be better to have two smaller sealed subs like the 12" models that I could put on the front soundstage next to the cantons. any thoughts on this idea in lieu of using the pc-2000 in the rear by the sofa? Thanks.

Okay, I'm sure some of you are not going to agree with my direction based on the comments about the Denon 3600/3700 test results, but I decided to order a New with warranty Yamaha RX-A3080. Went that route to take advantage of BB 24mo zero interest and based on my prior refurb experience I was gun-shy on that route. Should get it around the 10th.

This will give me a basic setup of:

Sony X950H 65" monitor
Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver
Canton SL 596.2 main L/R speakers
Canton SL 556.2 center speaker
SVS PC-2000 sub (although I'm sort of rethinking this one in favor of a few others)
And DefTech Promonitor 800 rear surround and front upper effect speakers (until I can upgrade them later to
matching cantons)

I'm running basically a 5.1.2 setup at moment with the front atmos speakers wall mounted rather than ceiling. I'm intrigued with the speaker top 500 series atmos speakers from canton though, as I'm guessing they would replace my front wall mounted speakers.

On the sub-front, I'm back thinking about smaller 12" or 15" sealed dual subs but that may not be the best route with the ported cantons.

Sorry, I know I'm all over the board here. I'm done with upgrades for now unless I exchange the sub. This will allow me to get the old receiver and front 3 deftech speakers into my garage gym, along with the deftech prosub 800 once I get it repaired. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't go sealed. Stick with the PCs. (1 now, 1 in the future). If you feel you want to upgrade... there is always the PC4000! ;)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't go sealed. Stick with the PCs. (1 now, 1 in the future). If you feel you want to upgrade... there is always the PC4000! ;)
Seems to be the consensus to stick with the PC's so guess that's what I'll do. One PC2000 now and maybe a second down the road. Not going to set anything up until I get the speakers and AVR.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I know you are out for the front floor speakers, but I ordered the Cantons with the free center. They are supposed to be delivered today, but with this storm in the N.E., I’d be shocked if I get them. I’ll keep you posted when they come in.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I know you are out for the front floor speakers, but I ordered the Cantons with the free center. They are supposed to be delivered today, but with this storm in the N.E., I’d be shocked if I get them. I’ll keep you posted when they come in.
Congrats!!!

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Congrats. You probably missed it but I ended up going that route after all and ordered the Canton 596.2 with 556.2 setup. It shipped today so I should have tomorrow or Thursday probably.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
:(

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Congrats. You probably missed it but I ended up going that route after all and ordered the Canton 596.2 with 556.2 setup. It shipped today so I should have tomorrow or Thursday probably.
Nice, I went with the white. I’ll send pics once they are in. Subs are next for me. Just ordered an UMIK-1 mic. Looking at the HSU’s and the PB3000’s. I think I’m down to those two.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
This is one of those questions that needs to go away. :)
A well designed and capable speaker should be able to reproduce sound well. All Sound. ;)
A question from a noob about your comment here. I wonder if he means that for home theater people seem to like more bass? I would think thats why he asked this. Is this not true? Should you have the same amount of bass be used for music and movies?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A question from a noob about your comment here. I wonder if he means that for home theater people seem to like more bass? I would think thats why he asked this. Is this not true? Should you have the same amount of bass be used for music and movies?
That depends on your taste in music and movies. What do you mean by "amount" of bass, tho? HT might have more bass demands, both in extension and spl, over most music, tho some music can be very demanding too (like lowest notes of a massive pipe organ).

ps My personal preference is to have capable subs to support whatever I play.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I think HT people and Music people both equally like Low End Bass.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis