Sub upgrade opinions

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard the Cantons, but I can tell you that after hearing the Raal tweeters on a pair of Song 3's I was in love with them. I heard details I hadn't heard before in songs I've been listening to for 20+ years. Just be warned that if you do go the Salk route, you will be waiting at least several months for them to be built.
BTW, where you at in the process, now? :D

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Okay. After lots of thought and discussion with my wife, it pains me to say we think floor speakers are out until we have another house with different layout. If you refer back to my picture earlier in The thread you can see my front stage is right in the path from the front door. There just won’t be a good way to protect the dog and speaker interactions without going to massive And more stable floor speakers that I don’t have room for.

So i need to find the best on-wall speakers to upgrade my front 3 that will be a real recognizable upgrade from the deftech pro monitor 800. They will need to be able to hang on the wall as I can’t use stands and don’t have shelves in this location. Only alternative is if some sort of shelf no larger than the speaker footprint are an option. Do the speakers stay put on a small shelf like this? Maybe there are such things already made and sold like speaker stands?

Thanks for helping me through the journey. Maybe I need to start a new thread in the speaker section. :)

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Okay. After lots of thought and discussion with my wife, it pains me to say u think floor speakers are out until we have another house with different layout. If you refer back to my picture earlier in The thread you can see my front stage is right in the path from the front door. There just won’t be a good way to protect the dog and speaker interactions without going to massive And more stable floor speakers that I don’t have room for.

So i need to find the best on-wall speakers to upgrade my front 3 that will be a real recognizable upgrade from the deftech pro monitor 800. They will need to be able to hang on the wall as I can’t use stands and don’t have shelves in this location. Only alternative is if some sort of shelf no larger than the speaker footprint are an option. Do the speakers stay put on a small shelf like this? Maybe there are such things already made and sold like speaker stands?

Thanks for helping me through the journey. Maybe I need to start a new thread in the speaker section. :)

Very good, especially at their price and you could use them as surrounds when you move or get 5 of them now. They can be used on stands as well

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Okay. After lots of thought and discussion with my wife, it pains me to say we think floor speakers are out until we have another house with different layout. If you refer back to my picture earlier in The thread you can see my front stage is right in the path from the front door. There just won’t be a good way to protect the dog and speaker interactions without going to massive And more stable floor speakers that I don’t have room for.

Look at Post #65

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Look at Post #65
I was looking at those Cantons last night. The other issue I'm going to have is the wall mount space for the right front speaker is only 11" wide. The 11.6" cantons would work okay, but couldn't go much wider without issues. This room is fighting me all the way. LOL

Also looking at the SVS Ultra bookshelf and others but would have to figure out a way to put a small shelf up I guess.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic

Very good, especially at their price and you could use them as surrounds when you move or get 5 of them now. They can be used on stands as well
Thanks. I'm not familiar with them. Would they really be an upgrade over the Definitive Tech Promonitor 800's?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Are those Canton SL 516.2 sealed? They mention a rear bass reflex opening, but I don't see anything in pictures.

Also, looking at the higher level bookshelf options, is there a safe way to hang a 25lb high end bookshelf monitor without a shelf?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
But are the Revel in the same category as the Canton Chrono and Vento that I'm also looking at? Or you are saying they are a step up from the Deftech but in the middle between them and the Cantons? Making sure I'm giving them proper consideration. Thanks.

I'm also looking at the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2-EX and Sierra Luna. on their page it looks like there is a threaded insert on the bottom of the 2-EX speaker which makes me wonder if it works with a hanging bracket sort of like the Deftechs do. If so, that might be another option. The luna has a key slot on it for hanging. Not sure if these are custom order or stocked and ready to go.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
But are the Revel in the same category as the Canton Chrono and Vento that I'm also looking at? Or you are saying they are a step up from the Deftech but in the middle between them and the Cantons? Making sure I'm giving them proper consideration. Thanks.

I'm also looking at the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2-EX and Sierra Luna. on their page it looks like there is a threaded insert on the bottom of the 2-EX speaker which makes me wonder if it works with a hanging bracket sort of like the Deftechs do. If so, that might be another option. The luna has a key slot on it for hanging. Not sure if these are custom order or stocked and ready to go.
Revel makes some of the finest loudspeakers in the world. IIRC Dr.Toole uses an Infinity branded version (or close) in his hometheater.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Revel makes some of the finest loudspeakers in the world. IIRC Dr.Toole uses an Infinity branded version (or close) in his hometheater.
I get that. I'm talking size and frequency response. Those particular models appear to be tiny and more geared around mounting for small unobtrusive bars beside a TV. Low end is only 110hz. The others I'm looking at have extension much lower. Like I'd be leaning towards something like a Canton Veno 836.2 or Reference 9.2 if I could figure out how to properly mount it on the wall. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you think the Salk Song Towers upgraded with RAAL tweeter would compare to the canton 596.2?
If the RAAL tweeters interest you, you could also look at Ascend Acoustics. They use a more robust 70-20xram tweeter in the towers and Horizon center channel. They can handle 3x the power of the 64-10 and are capable of some pretty impressive spl. Dave, the owner of Ascend, said he's sold thousands of them and has only ever replaced 1 set of 70-20s. In that case the owner put a ridiculous amount of power through them at an outdoor party and pretty much melted all of the electronics inside the speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I get that. I'm talking size and frequency response. Those particular models appear to be tiny and more geared around mounting for small unobtrusive bars beside a TV. Low end is only 110hz. The others I'm looking at have extension much lower. Like I'd be leaning towards something like a Canton Veno 836.2 if I could figure out how to properly mount it on the wall. :)
I only searched on wall. If the speaker is rear ported, mounting them on the wall won't work unless you plug the port (which will raise the 3db point considerably

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I would go with either the Sierra 2 or the 2EX. I own a pair of Sierra 2s and they convinced me to go all in on the towers. I haven't heard the EX upgrade, but if I were to guess it's probably pretty incremental and offers a little deeper bass extension. They're capable of getting good and loud, but they're not spl monsters. My room is pretty big and I like it loud sometimes so I ended up getting the towers.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I would go with either the Sierra 2 or the 2EX. I own a pair of Sierra 2s and they convinced me to go all in on the towers. I haven't heard the EX upgrade, but if I were to guess it's probably pretty incremental and offers a little deeper bass extension. They're capable of getting good and loud, but they're not spl monsters. My room is pretty big and I like it loud sometimes so I ended up getting the towers.
Any idea on how to wall mount them? I'm not sure if they will be open today to call but given the rear port they may not be. But their gallery pictures show what looks like a brass threaded insert at the bottom which may be for a mount. Not sure. The lunas are front ported and have a mount.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any idea on how to wall mount them? I'm not sure if they will be open today to call but given the rear port they may not be. But their gallery pictures show what looks like a brass threaded insert at the bottom which may be for a mount. Not sure. The lunas are front ported and have a mount.
There is a threaded insert for wall mounting. I am going to be mounting my 2s on the wall for surround duty when I get a proper center channel. My rear ported Ultras are there right now. I think with the right mount and a high enough crossover the rear port won't to too big a deal, but these are good questions for those guys over there. I haven't heard the Luna, but I would be concerned about hitting the spl I like to hit sometimes.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Their site is hard to navigate, but I just found they have one called the DUO RAAL LCR also. looks interesting for a small speaker.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d look at some of the clamping style speaker mounts. Easy to use and can hold a lot of weight generally. My former surrounds were close to 40lbs and hung on the wall just fine. I did use a header in the wall to mount them on as this was during the build of the house. You’ll definitely want to find a stud to screw into.

Mount-It! Speaker Wall Mounts, Pair of Universal Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Brackets, Large or Small Speakers, 2 Mounts, 55 Lbs Capacity, Black (MI-SB37) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZE0O8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qVyjFb23Y0Q3J

Vogel's Universal Speaker Wall Mount - VLB 200 B for Satellite Speakers max 44 lbs, set of 2 mounts, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z827G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VVyjFbMGP85G5
There’s a couple examples. I used the ones by Vogel’s but they might be overkill. Also, both styles are articulated which is important for experimenting with toe in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis