Stock Markets, I coulda had a great set of speakers!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Active stock management is the financial services equivalent of cable snake oil industry that we, on scientific grounds, ridicules so much as needlessly expensive. If you think that $10 000 cables are expensive, calculate what 1% extra mutual fund fee will cost you.

Research shows, yeah I'll dig those up if I have to, shows that low overall costs are the best indicator of future performance.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Active stock management is the financial services equivalent of cable snake oil industry that we, on scientific grounds, ridicules so much as needlessly expensive. If you think that $10 000 cables are expensive, calculate what 1% extra mutual fund fee will cost you.

Research shows, yeah I'll dig those up if I have to, shows that low overall costs are the best indicator of future performance.
I agree, one should be ones own financial advisor as nobody else has as much interest in your financial wellbeing than you.

The loads on the funds I own are quite low. A portfolio of individual companies that you manage yourself incurs expenses too unless you buy and hold forever. After tax spending power is the metric to use, and I don't know an absolutely free route to get there.

I find it easier to assess fund managers than companies, and it's worked well so far. The Independent Advisor for Vanguard Investors is one of my subscriptions, and they also have a similar publication for Fidelity investors.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
We've entered the unknown.

All that imaginary money printed in 2008 and this year, to save the investment houses/banks/investors, sooner or latter will come home to roost, one of these days.

I'm praying I'll be fertilizer by then. Meanwhile I've told my kids to hoard their shekels, putting at least 50% in a plain old savings account for now, pay off their homes as quickly as possible and buy plain-Jane blue-chip stocks to gamble with.

As long as the USA is a dominant world power and controls the economic levers, we'll be fine.

China begs to differ and looms as our greatest enemy economically.

They've been gradually selling off their US Treasury shares. Not good.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-bonds-explainer/explainer-will-china-dump-u-s-bonds-as-a-trade-weapon-not-so-fast-idUSKCN1SY0BS

I have faith that the 'deep state' (intelligence community and banks) can keep our leaders in check and not making promises or threats that we'll have to cash and live with.

Obama made promises too but quickly learned that slow steady growth and not antagonizing our military allies was the prudent way to go.

The current leadership? They're so compromised and clueless it scares the bejessus out of me.

Let us pray!

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Oh, a heads up in the case of a blue wave in November, the Dems have had their sights aimed at one of the best savings methods available, Roth IRAs/401k, for some time now. If you haven't yet, now is the time to convince your kids to start one before they go bye bye.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
We've entered the unknown.
Financially, I'm not so sure about that as the Keynesians have shown that they where right, and then some.

All that imaginary money printed in 2008 and this year, to save the investment houses/banks/investors, sooner or latter will come home to roost, one of these days.
Your US very, very, very cheap borrowing on the international market is in your own valuta with a Central Bank that actually can print money to pay it off, i.e. inflation. Countries having to borrow in foreign valuta and unable to pay, that is real hard, i.e. deflation. Have a look at Euro members locked to Euro and have to use internal deflation (30ties anyone?), or other countries with same onerous loans in foreign valuta.

I'm praying I'll be fertilizer by then. Meanwhile I've told my kids to hoard their shekels, putting at least 50% in a plain old savings account for now, pay off their homes as quickly as possible and buy plain-Jane blue-chip stocks to gamble with.
Why? I invest in the global stock market in index funds not to hit "jackpot" but to take part in the general return of the stock market as a very, very, very, very, etc, small owner of total shares. Yup, I'm a capitalist.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, a heads up in the case of a blue wave in November, the Dems have had their sights aimed at one of the best savings methods available, Roth IRAs/401k, for some time now. If you haven't yet, now is the time to convince your kids to start one before they go bye bye.
With Joe Biden as president? Not likely. Joe and the banks are tighter than me and my wife. I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

invest in the global stock market in index funds not to hit "jackpot" but to take part in the general return of the stock market
International funds, both indexed and actively managed, have been worse than domestic ones across the board this year, but there are a few outliers, e.g.VWIGX which is up 30%+ ytd (!!).

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
International funds, both indexed and actively managed, have been worse than domestic ones across the board this year, but there are a few outliers, e.g.VWIGX which is up 30%+ ytd (!!).
I'm sorry I don't remember posting that comment. Could you give me the link/page where I did?

A fair share (18%) of my investment is a Vanguard domestic index fund, especially after the current administration announced its intention to tariff China and the world's goods.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
With international mutual funds you have to take the exchange rate into consideration when evaluating, as well as capital taxes and taxes on dividends that might not be refundable in a tax free account.

That said, my point was to use efficiently managed low-cost index funds (say, from Vanguard) capturing as much of the stock market generated wealth as possible.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sorry I don't remember posting that comment. Could you give me the link/page where I did?

A fair share (18%) of my investment is a Vanguard domestic index fund, especially after the current administration announced its intention to tariff China and the world's goods.
He probably meant me, though I wonder if there is some bug with the forum software as I apparently did something similar recently. Or we reply to a post, edit, yada, yada, and something is messed up.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
He probably meant me, though I wonder if there is some bug with the forum software as I apparently did something similar recently. Or we reply to a post, edit, yada, yada, and something is messed up.
I guess so, could be. Hasn't happened to me yet.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Today SPY gave back gains from last 30 days... what's next? Wipe out all Aug gains and more?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Interesting...I told my wife Memorial Day to Labor Day. Did I sell? No. Got some toys, home repairs, gifted some people close to us. If it drops another 5% I will slowly start buying again. No way Trump goes into the election with Covid and a tanking stock market if he thinks he will win. If he believes he will lose he will sink the whole thing like the Titantic...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Don't forget to add on the 1% Financial Advisor fee. You get to start out 2% in the hole on your investments. :(

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Change the topic to: I could have lost a great pair of speakers. :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Since March 24, fortunes have been made....if I wasn’t retired I could retire again!
I'd be happy to come out of this virus Even-Stevens and with a new pair of speakers :D by next March.

I don't know what baffles me more, the stock market or the local housing market. They just don't reflect the reality on the ground with the high unemployment numbers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my money in conservative blue-chip funds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis