Stock Markets, I coulda had a great set of speakers!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
looks like the general US market has been red hot these last few days. Definitely a bad time to be out of the market.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Good call! I never invest in healthcare stocks because I don't know anything about that industry. My loss, apparently.
Everyone gets sick and everyone needs medical care. The country is aging, thus increasing need for healthcare. SCOTUS is likely to kill ACA; with either POTUS scenario there is near zero chance of drug price controls IMO. The profits have only one way to go -UP. I never invest in a specific stock, way too much risk, I have XLV nearly 25% in my portfolio.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Good call! I never invest in healthcare stocks because I don't know anything about that industry. My loss, apparently.
LVGO and TDOC were already in a position to do well before Covid, TDOC is video conferencing with your Dr and LVGO is software management for long term medical conditions like diabetes. Insurance companies are going to start forcing Dr to do video conferencing and software maintenance where applicable. It’s going to save Drs and insurance companies tons of cash. This is a no brainer stock, expectations are 500%-1000% growth over the next 5 years.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
XLE energy ETF down over 60% in last two years. Market may be pricing in Biden as President today along with more Virus cases.

Stocks are collapsing.... turn up the MUSIC. lol
Hmmm... the DJIA is up to 29435 today, and the NASDAQ composite broke 12000. lol. Please predict some more bad news so you can be dead wrong again. I'd like the gains.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Hmmm... the DJIA is up to 29435 today, and the NASDAQ composite broke 12000. lol. Please predict some more bad news so you can be dead wrong again. I'd like the gains.
The stock market simply wants stability and nothing else

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmmm... Please predict some more bad news so you can be dead wrong again. I'd like the gains.
I have the power to move markets!! Anything I buy goes down!

Fidelity and Vanguard have fantastic healthcare sector funds, if you want some exposure there, like diversity, and have no desire for sweating the details of individual companies. They may not produce 1000% returns, but have produced healthy double digit annualized returns for years, worthy of being a core holding in a low risk, conservative portfolio.

The health sector went on a tear after Hillarycare was defeated in 1992, and there are parallels with the outcome of the current election. We're not facing president elect Bernie and Medicare for all, but Biden, who may, may propose augmenting the ACA with a public option, which is a long shot without control of the Senate. Between that, demographics, and pandemic demands, the sector should maintain above average returns.

Now that I posted that, watch the whole sector tank!

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The stock market simply wants stability and nothing else
Yeah, but now millennial types on Robinhood are screwing up the market trying to play hedge fund investor. Selling Amazon and investing in cruise lines because a vaccine might save the day in 12 months? Whatever. I've probably just turned into an old fart.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have the power to move markets!! Anything I buy goes down!

Fidelity and Vanguard have fantastic healthcare sector funds, if you want some exposure there, like diversity, and have no desire for sweating the details of individual companies. They may not produce 1000% returns, but have produced healthy double digit annualized returns for years, worthy of being a core holding in a low risk, conservative portfolio.

The health sector went on a tear after Hillarycare was defeated in 1992, and there are parallels with the outcome of the current election. We're not facing president elect Bernie and Medicare for all, but Biden, who may, may propose augmenting the ACA with a public option, which is a long shot without control of the Senate. Between that, demographics, and pandemic demands, the sector should maintain above average returns.

Now that I posted that, watch the whole sector tank!
I made a nice return on a Fidelity Pharma fund some time back, but I've grown skeptical of the entire healthcare market. There's bipartisan support for clamping down on pharma companies, insurance companies, and even a range of providers. All of the hate is on hold right now because of the pandemic, but I think only on hold. And I think a lot of the negative attention is well deserved, so I'm hesitant to invest.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of a country are we livin' in anymore when a guy can't continue to profit off of human misery.;)

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Yeah, but now millennial types on Robinhood are screwing up the market trying to play hedge fund investor. Selling Amazon and investing in cruise lines because a vaccine might save the day in 12 months? Whatever. I've probably just turned into an old fart.
LOL, I doubled my money on cruise lines... then bailed. When you realize their fleet of ships is worth double the stock price it’s probably a decent bet.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

What kind of a country are we livin' in anymore when a guy can't continue to profit off of human misery.;)
Hey, if I were Emperor of the World I would have socialized the private insurance industry into oblivion long ago. But I have to go to the market as it is, not how I wish it to be, with my family's wellbeing as a primary concern. I'm just a lowly nurse, so you can't actually expect me to earn everything I need to survive and retire from my labor, do you? I'd have to work until death! Besides, consider that those sector funds invest in the companies that produce the devices I use daily to keep people alive, and help finance the facility I work at. The sector is not as evil as you might imagine, in spite of big pharma and bloodthirsty private insurance, who IMO can truck straight off.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, I doubled my money on cruise lines... then bailed. When you realize their fleet of ships is worth double the stock price it’s probably a decent bet.
Not if the cruise market doesn't come back for three years or so, and someone has to pay to maintain those metal monstrosities. I'm glad you made some money though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, if I were Emperor of the World I would have socialized the private insurance industry into oblivion long ago. But I have to go to the market as it is, not how I wish it to be, with my family's wellbeing as a primary concern. I'm just a lowly nurse, so you can't actually expect me to earn everything I need to survive and retire from my labor, do you? I'd have to work until death! Besides, consider that those sector funds invest in the companies that produce the devices I use daily to keep people alive, and help finance the facility I work at. The sector is not as evil as you might imagine, in spite of big pharma and bloodthirsty private insurance, who IMO can truck straight off.
Hey, I hear you Palpatine.;) Doctors' and nurses' jobs are made all the more difficult in a real emergency when hospitals are spilling over with patients as a result of the efforts of the "big food" and "big pharma" tag team.:mad:

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Thanks for being a nurse. It is a tough job I wouldn't be up for.
Yeah, there are lots of days where I wonder wth I was thinking. Part of it was that it's essentially recession proof. Part was the whole improve the world one patient at a time thing.

But let's be real here. Nursing is still 90% women. I did it mainly for the nookie, and as a middle aged divorcee I am not at all ashamed. Some of those nurses, woo, lemme tell ya, superfreaks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I f#%kin' love it! Would you like to hear about the affair I had with an E/R nurse when I was 17. Put those tits on my face, STAT! I often kid, but not this time.:cool:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
More big gains in the general market today. My Vanguard index funds are rocking!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So… if you had $100,000 to invest today where would you invest it?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
just hand it off to my Ameriprise guy and let him run with it, he hasn't let me down yet.

or............buy a new C8 ZO6 ! :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis