fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You could always sell it as an amplifier/white noise generator. I'm sure there's a market for that :D

Yea, shipping large amps back and forth sucks big time. I wonder if some acoustic dampening material inside the casing would help.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I wonder if some acoustic dampening material inside the casing would help.
Probably not without blocking airflow, but between the amp and the cabinet door would probably work. I might also give a filter like the Emo CMX-2 a shot just to see if it helps.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Probably not without blocking airflow, but between the amp and the cabinet door would probably work. I might also give a filter like the Emo CMX-2 a shot just to see if it helps.
I've never tried Emo. I have stuck with APC for my power issues and they've performed flawlessly. I'm not 100% which ones would help with DC offset, since it isn't mentioned in any of the literature, except an APC white paper.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I've never tried Emo. I have stuck with APC for my power issues and they've performed flawlessly. I'm not 100% which ones would help with DC offset, since it isn't mentioned in any of the literature, except an APC white paper.
Could try the APC C10 that I migrated to the bedroom setup down there to see if that helps too I suppose. Currently using a Tripp Lite Isobar model in the basement setup.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Could try the APC C10 that I migrated to the bedroom setup down there to see if that helps too I suppose. Currently using a Tripp Lite Isobar model in the basement setup.
Hey, I have one of those too. Along with an S15. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Christmas came early for me: picked up a UMC-200 which arrived last night. Ran through the initial setup last night, though I'll fine tune this weekend.

On the upside, it's a lot easier to maneuver around in the cabinet since its much shorter and lighter. It also seems to run fairly cool, so I'll see how things work out without any fans in the cabinet (had a couple of 120mm fans on the Onkyo previously and it was still quite warm). So far so good, though I haven't really "tested" it yet.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Christmas came early for me: picked up a UMC-200 which arrived last night. Ran through the initial setup last night, though I'll fine tune this weekend.

On the upside, it's a lot easier to maneuver around in the cabinet since its much shorter and lighter. It also seems to run fairly cool, so I'll see how things work out without any fans in the cabinet (had a couple of 120mm fans on the Onkyo previously and it was still quite warm). So far so good, though I haven't really "tested" it yet.
Congrats on the UMC. Out of all the electronics you can upgrade, I think a new receiver or pre/pro is the most fun :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Congrats on the UMC. Out of all the electronics you can upgrade, I think a new receiver or pre/pro is the most fun :)
I dunno. Moving to the XPR-5 would be pretty fun too (aside from the cursing involved with setting it up) :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I dunno. Moving to the XPR-5 would be pretty fun too (aside from the cursing involved with setting it up) :D
I should say so. Get those meters dancing :D One thing I like about the Cinepro 3K6SE is that because of the way the internals are set up, all the parts that heat up are connected to the rear of the unit. Then on the outside are some short stubby heatsinks with fans on top of them, which really helps keep the weight down compared to passive cooling. I think mine weighs like 86lbs, which is pretty good for the specs and size.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Doesn't look like a 18 inch sub next to your speakers from the pics, but I bet in person it's huge.:eek:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Insert joke here. I shoulda known better, oh well... Rats Adam!:eek::p

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Doesn't look like a 18 inch sub next to your speakers from the pics, but I bet in person it's huge.:eek:
The driver itself is pretty imposing on its own, but overall the sub is relatively compact. It's ~65% of the old Ultra by volume, which is a nice change (and one of the big reasons I went in this direction).

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
"I don't like to brag, but yeah..." - Steve

"I'll take that bet." - His wife

:p
Let's just say I've used the line "behold, 18 inches of slam" with the wife well before I got the Funk :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Spent some time massaging the Funk's FR with the built in EQ (no help from EmoQ):

For those curious to see what the Funk back end looks like in that regard:

I started off with the "Rock" setting which added the first two EQ points, and then added in the four relatively narrow band EQ points to cut down some peaks and help fill in some dips (though I aimed to avoid a net boost). I also eased off the boost at the 20Hz mark in exchange for disabling the HPF/rumble filter at 20Hz. The white line signifies the net result of everything.

Also worth noting, the EQ available is much more than the section title "PEQ" suggests; you can set shelf filters among other things which could be used to boost or cut the high/low end as well as additional HPFs/ LPFs, etc.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I had sent the above info to Nathan earlier, but didn't had time to implement his suggestion until now. His thought was to trade some sub-10Hz output for the 10-20Hz range by re-engaging the 20Hz high pass filter, but at the same time changing EQ2 to a low shelf filter w/ Q7.9, +12dB. The net effect isn't huge (basically give a couple dB / take a couple dB), but the thought is that it adds to the effective extension while keeping the system out of trouble in the deep infrasonic realm.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis