macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
So, does the eagle sing the song that you anticipated?
Im guessing yes based on where you had it trained:D
cheers, Mac

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So, does the eagle sing the song that you anticipated?
Im guessing yes based on where you had it trained:D
Indeed it did. The family resemblance is very much there, with a broadly similar sound to the Philharmonitor.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In the words of John Malkovich in Darkside of the Moon, "Fu#$%!* awesome." :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Here are a few slightly better quality pics:

Aesthetically the Dayton cabs aren't too shabby; only real complaint with them is that the magnets holding the grills are a bit weak.

On tweeter axis FR, unsmoothed, mic @ 1 foot.

And an off axis shot (didn't sit an measure out how many degrees off, but eyeballed around 60 degrees)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Everything looks good and weak magnets can really be a pain. Any reason you went with 1ft instead of 1m for the measurements?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Any reason you went with 1ft instead of 1m for the measurements?
None in particular, though it does help to further control early reflections at the expense of not getting the woofer fully integrated into the mix.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
None in particular, though it does help to further control early reflections at the expense of not getting the woofer fully integrated into the mix.
I would think omnimic would give you gating options so that you could still get rid of those early reflections from the measurement.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I would think omnimic would give you gating options so that you could still get rid of those early reflections from the measurement.
It does, but the more you gate, the more resolution you lose at the same time.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It does, but the more you gate, the more resolution you lose at the same time.
This is true. I don't think I've ever had any issues with REW and gating, but I've never compared against a 1ft measurement. Perhaps an experiment this weekend, or tomorrow if I don't get called in, to see what's what with my own rag tag measurement setup.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
This is true. I don't think I've ever had any issues with REW and gating, but I've never compared against a 1ft measurement.
This is what the 1m ~60 degree data looks like with a bit of smoothing (took this yesterday): top curve is the Q700's for comparison

No real issues with either method IMO, just different perspectives.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The 7125 has returned... The noise through the speakers that popped up is now gone, which is good; the transformer hum is another story. Actually I thought it was solved as the first couple of times I fired it up, it was silent except for the clicking of a few relays. Now it seems to be settling back towards its old self. Not exactly thrilled since shipping a >50lbs amplifier to California isn't cheap.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The 7125 has returned... The noise through the speakers that popped up is now gone, which is good; the transformer hum is another story. Actually I thought it was solved as the first couple of times I fired it up, it was silent except for the clicking of a few relays. Now it seems to be settling back towards its old self. Not exactly thrilled since shipping a >50lbs amplifier to California isn't cheap.
Sorry to hear that man. Truly. Then again, you could have experienced that same added ambiance with my IPS-1, and you wouldn't ever have to worry about shipping it to/from Arizona - because I wouldn't take it back. :p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sorry to hear that man. Truly. Then again, you could have experienced that same added ambiance with my IPS-1, and you wouldn't ever have to worry about shipping it to/from Arizona - because I wouldn't take it back. :p
Well I'm bugging Outlaw, so we'll see what happens. If all else fails, I can live with it as I know its more in my head than anything at this point. Both the BR player and cable box make as much noise, not to mention the fans on top of the receiver. Still, it's irritating from a $1,000 amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis