Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
With this new information, I vote that you build 2 with the 18" SI in a box 21.5"H X 21.5"W X 20".25D, making them only marginally larger than the E15's. Power them with the Outlaw, add a miniDSP, EQ them flat, but add a HPF at 20hz with a shallow rolloff or 15hz with a steep rolloff and enjoy until you feel like throwing more power at them. You should be looking at ~107-113db from 20-100hz+ not counting room gain or doubling up, given 200W each.

($220 X 2) + $135 + $200 = $775 for two subs and miniDSP (finish dependent).
Still would want to keep the 16" width, but I could probably manage a 24.5" depth & height to offset.... Ahh possibilities.

The finish dependent part is going to be the real trick though. I've got some feelers out for a custom build so we'll see what that runs...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Still would want to keep the 16" width, but I could probably manage a 24.5" depth & height to offset.... Ahh possibilities.

The finish dependent part is going to be the real trick though. I've got some feelers out for a custom build so we'll see what that runs...
How about, 15.5"X19.5"X19.5"? Smallest box possible.

That actually yields a better Q and slightly lower F3 than the larger box. However, you will definitely need a HPF at what I specified because of the power it would take to go much lower. Even if you had a ton of power on tap, you would run into thermal issues.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Smaller is better for my purposes (hence the consideration of the e15 vs stuff like the f25), though with that little volume and power to work with, I'd have to imagine that'd handicap the SI pretty badly down low especially with the addition of the HPF. Loud ULF isn't a goal yet, but I'd want whatever I go with on the future to at least be halfway competent at it as a building block.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the numbers that Josh got from the driver were in a 4cuft box, and the one I modeled is about 2.5cuft. I don't expect the numbers to be too far off from what he got, but it'll take a lot of power. You have to remember the the SI drivers weren't made with ULF in mind. They were designed to give their best performance above 20Hz. The HPF, for now, is to protect the amp and even with 200W you should be able to get close to 100db or more between 10-20hz and ~110db between 40-80hz*. If you do choose to add more power, you'll still want to add a HPF somewhere down there 10-15hz, just to protect the driver from reaching xmax.

*ignoring room gain and doubling up.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Re: protecting the amp and driver, not sure it's a big concern as I'm not aiming to apply boost per say, just letting room gain work its magic which will probably get me pretty close to a flat response right off the bat. As is, I've got to pad down the pb13 a fair bit in the 20-40hz range.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Was supposed to pick up the KEF-harmonics today; however, we got rear ended on the way back from picking up the mother in law from the airport. To cap off a fine weekend, we were staying at a hotel last night and its fire alarm went off at 10:30 forcing an evacuation; nothing really happened, but they weren't able to shut off the alarm for an hour and a half. On the upside, the kid got to see a fire truck and a cop car up close this weekend.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Btw, sorry that you had a somewhat crappy weekend, man. I sure hope that you're all okay after the accident. How's the vehicle?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well it was an F350 with a horse trailer, so it packed a decent punch. Had to clean up the interior as the MIL had some sprite and the kid had a chocolate milk that made a giant mess.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Btw, sorry that you had a somewhat crappy weekend, man. I sure hope that you're all okay after the accident. How's the vehicle?
We were shaken up pretty well, but alright. Damage isn't too bad. Fortunately we were in the wife's SUV versus my Mazda 3.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Hey seeing the police and fire has to count for something :D

Throw in a little whiplash and that's a solid weekend :eek:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks like my subwoofer desires might have a new target: a pair of customized F15HPs from Salk. Not exactly inexpensive, but not all that much costlier than the SB13U either. Figure I'd probably go with a down-firing orientation in that case to keep the driver away from the kid/dog. Still, an E15 in gloss black with the silver driver is awfully tempting. Imagine all the aluminum with a no-grill shot with the KEFs :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis