Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The “Home Alone” rig…
IMG_2123.jpeg

An older 43” Vizio D-series 1080p fed by an Apple TV in stereo. The Vizio feeds a Marantz PM6005 via optical, which then feeds the old Dennis Murphy customs. Seating distance, ~45”.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
That’s how I roll these days.

The dang kids ran off with the Xbox and Nintendo Switch, not that gaming appeals as much to me in my “old” age. Don’t really need much else to enjoy some TV and the occasional flick. The bookshelves give me good response down to 30Hz in room, which is perfectly adequate.

Looking to move to Ohio at some point in the not too distant future, and may have a buyer for the entire lot of everything else, so I’ll have funds for a future custom active project with Funk if I’m so inclined. I wouldn’t mind a higher sensitivity concentric mated to a pair of decently sensitive woofers in a sealed alignment. Get me an F3 around 50Hz with a Qtc of 0.707, the ability to EQ to the room, and I’ll be golden on the audio side. A nice 4K TV that fills up the stand, and I’ll be good to go on the video side as well.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That’s how I roll these days.

The dang kids ran off with the Xbox and Nintendo Switch, not that gaming appeals as much to me in my “old” age. Don’t really need much else to enjoy some TV and the occasional flick. The bookshelves give me good response down to 30Hz in room, which is perfectly adequate.

Looking to move to Ohio at some point in the not too distant future, and may have a buyer for the entire lot of everything else, so I’ll have funds for a future custom active project with Funk if I’m so inclined. I wouldn’t mind a higher sensitivity concentric mated to a pair of decently sensitive woofers in a sealed alignment. Get me an F3 around 50Hz with a Qtc of 0.707, the ability to EQ to the room, and I’ll be golden on the audio side. A nice 4K TV that fills up the stand, and I’ll be good to go on the video side as well.
I hear you. I spend most of my time in the garage with a Hisense 42” tv and a pair of Jeff Bagby kit speakers I built like 10 years ago. Still love those speakers and despair at the fact he passed, but also that meniscus audio closed their doors so all his work for the DIY community is kinda gone.

Sounds like a cool project. My only goal is to actually build the NaO Note II Rs I’ve had all the parts for, for like 8 years. God I would love to actually hear them.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I hear you. I spend most of my time in the garage with a Hisense 42” tv and a pair of Jeff Bagby kit speakers I built like 10 years ago. Still love those speakers and despair at the fact he passed, but also that meniscus audio closed their doors so all his work for the DIY community is kinda gone.

Sounds like a cool project. My only goal is to actually build the NaO Note II Rs I’ve had all the parts for, for like 8 years. God I would love to actually hear them.
You could always pay a local carpenter to build it for you. Doesn’t actually have to be DIY, and you can always lie later :p . I’d be interested in hearing what they could do for sure. I have a soft spot for bipoles.

Thinking the concentric drive unit out of the KEF Q950 would fit the bill pretty well for me. Would feel a little bad about the waste, but not so bad as to scrap such an endeavor :D A couple 12” woofers per side to cover the low end, and you’re ready to party!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
A couple measurements at the LP for those interested. 1/6th octave smoothing. Not too shabby given that the only EQ the Marantz has is a bass knob and a treble knob...

Left FR & IR
FR & IR Left @ Listening Position.jpg
Right FR & IR
FR & IR Right @ Listening Position.jpg
Combined FR & IR
FR & IR L&R @ Listening Position.jpg
And an initial combined distortion sweep. Need a high pass filter if I want to push it. Don't want to bottom out a driver on the low end of the long sweep.
Distortion L&R @ Listening Position.jpg
And an idea of the clean output capability of the system using Werewolves of London as a source.
IMG_2130.png

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
IMG_2384.jpeg

Moved the ATI amp and Emotiva pre/pro to the home alone rig. More power, a high pass filter, and parametric EQ FTW.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So…poop went down with the DM customs. No, I don’t want to talk about it.

Now replaced with KEF R3 Metas and a Rythmik F12SE to cover 100Hz on down. I’m over my loss :p

image0.jpeg

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Integrating the Rythmik was remarkably pain free. Initially set for 28Hz extension, high (Q=0.5) damping, no rumble filter, and a 100Hz XO with the R3 Metas. A broad PEQ -5dB filter centered at 28Hz was all the EQ I really felt the need to apply.

Left FR / IR with sub
Left FR & IR.jpg
Right FR / IR with sub
Right FR & IR.jpg

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Looks good. Love the R3 Metas. That indigo blue color is killer too. Especially with the matching stands.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis