Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
I just want to point out that I have absolutely no comment to make about this particular statement.
You just can't keep it professional can you Clint? Why not just come out and say it if you are going to dish out some snide remark anyway. How many times within one thread can you prove yourself to be as immature as the average forum member?

Last edited:
D

Danny Richie

Audioholic Intern
Yea, now look into the eyes of this kooky icon :eek: and repeat this words, my speakers need burn in time, my speakers need burn in time, my speakers need burn in time... :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Quite a telling statement here.

Sleestack said:
How many times within one thread can you prove yourself to be as immature as the average forum member?
Thanks for sharing your opinion of this forum and it's members with us.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Sleestack said:
You just can't keep it professional can you Clint? Why not just come out and say it if you are going to dish out some snide remark anyway. How many times within one thread can you prove yourself to be as immature as the average forum member?
:rolleyes: That is such a ridiculous comment. What, you think the admins should be any different from "the average forum member"?
And as for Danny, how can he possibly be taken seriously for anything when he reports burn in on his cables and then out of the blue says something like, "I used to be a hypnotist." Sheesh, I mean, come on.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Why would him being a hypnotist have any bearing on his credibility? You don't believe it, does that automatically mean you ar right and he is not credible as a result?

How many of you detracters have heard any of Danny's speakers?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
markw said:
Thanks for sharing your opinion of this forum and it's members with us.
As I have stated before, that would include me.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
AdrianMills said:
:rolleyes: That is such a ridiculous comment. What, you think the admins should be any different from "the average forum member"?
And as for Danny, how can he possibly be taken seriously for anything when he reports burn in on his cables and then out of the blue says something like, "I used to be a hypnotist." Sheesh, I mean, come on.
Why shouldn't the moderators/adminstrators be behaving like the average forum member? Look around any forum and tell me you can't answer that one for yourself.

As for Danny, whatever you might think about his cable burn-in comments (of which I am skeptical too), how can you discredit a person entirely becuase you don't agree with him on one issue? Furthermore, why don't you listen to the products he has worked on, then tell me he doesn't know what he is doing.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Why would him being a hypnotist have any bearing on his credibility? You don't believe it, does that automatically mean you ar right and he is not credible as a result?
It was the context of the comment that made it bizarre.

How many of you detractors have heard any of Danny's speakers?
Whether or not his speakers sound good is irrelevant.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Sleestack said:
Why shouldn't the moderators/adminstrators be behaving like the average forum member? Look around any forum and tell me you can't answer that one for yourself.
Being an admin/mod and being a member with opinions are not mutually exclusive. I know, as I've administered other sites and it's perfectly possible to remain objective when dealing with administrative issues and still interact as a member.

I also received comments like yours from time to time and eventually, after three years I resigned from the position because of them; life is just too short to have to put up with irritations like that. :rolleyes:

Sleestack said:
As for Danny, whatever you might think about his cable burn-in comments (of which I am skeptical too), how can you discredit a person entirely because you don't agree with him on one issue?
I'm sorry, but if he's measuring cable burn in it doesn't say a lot about his methods now does it?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
AdrianMills said:
Being an admin/mod and being a member with opinions are not mutually exclusive. I know, as I've administered other sites and it's perfectly possible to remain objective when dealing with administrative issues and still interact as a member.
Yes, but when they start deleting posts directed at them that are no more offensive in nature than the ones they post themselves, they have become hypocrites.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
AdrianMills said:
I'm sorry, but if he's measuring cable burn in it doesn't say a lot about his methods now does it?

So if there is one thing that a person believes in that you find absurd, you discredit everything that person has to say? That makes sense and certainly constitutes critical thinking on your part.:rolleyes:

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Sleestack said:
So if there is one thing that a person believes in that you find absurd, you discredit everything that person has to say? That makes sense and certainly constitutes critical thinking on your part.:rolleyes:
It certainly makes one think twice about the validity of his tests, yes, and it's critical thinking that leads me to believe that.

My guess is that you are being less than objective about this.

Sleestack said:
Yes, but when they start deleting posts directed at them that are no more offensive in nature than the ones they post themselves, they have become hypocrites.
I can't comment as I didn't see the posts but my guess is that those posts seemed less offensive from your perspective because they supported your viewpoint.

D

Danny Richie

Audioholic Intern
It's funny to me that of all that I have posted in the last few days that one would respond to me stating that I was certified as a hypnotist. It was not out of the Blue but in reference to the subject of psychology effects upon human perception. To say I understand the power of persuasion and suggestibility would be an understatement. Just because one is educated in a psychology field does not make one a quack.

I would have rather seen a response to this statement that I made.

I am afraid you are correct. Just because I have heard differences in burn in time and thousands of others claim the same doesn't mean everyone will, and it will never convince the nay sayers of anything.

Though it would be nice to see this site actually post some real measured data on driver burn in time. The misleading assumptions found here and supported by this site are a disappointment and a disservice.
How about a response to this guys post?

How about Audioholics takes Richie up on his challenge, and sponsors a set of measurements of various drivers, taken in a manner agreed upon by all?
What is disappointing also is seeing a post like this.

Yes I have heard differences from cable burn in. You do not believe it. I do not care. You haven't heard what I have. What's amazing is that you guys would attack my credibility in other areas because you don't agree with what I have wittiness in this area.

Who said anything about measuring cable burn in?

It certainly makes one think twice about the validity of his tests, yes, and it's critical thinking that leads me to believe that.
I have also witnessed differences from cryogenic treatment of cables and components too. Does this make it worse? I was once as skeptical as the next guy, but hearing is believing.

I don't believe in the big bang theory or that we descended from Monkeys either. Does that make a difference too? Oh, and I am not a supporter of gay rights. Now if I believe all of that I surely couldn't know anything about measuring the burn in process of a woofer right? Is that the way you guys think?

R

RMK!

AdrianMills said:
I can't comment as I didn't see the posts but my guess is that those posts seemed less offensive from your perspective because they supported your viewpoint.
And yet comment you do.

Remember, this is the addiction forum; science forum is two doors down on your left.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Danny Richie said:
Who said anything about measuring cable burn in?
Okay... that just emphasizes the point I think...

Danny Richie said:
I have also witnessed differences from cryogenic treatment of cables and components too. Does this make it worse? I was once as skeptical as the next guy, but hearing is believing.
Actually no, it's not necessarily the case at all. And these statements don't do much to improve your credibility let alone your insistence that you know anything of psychology.

Danny Richie said:
I don't believe in the big bang theory or that we descended from Monkeys either. Does that make a difference too? Oh, and I am not a supporter of gay rights.
The former shows that you’re ignorant and the latter just means you're a bigot.

S

Screwman

Audiophyte
Ritchie; how come you never report hearing a speaker get worse with break-in time? How can it be that every speaker moves towards an improvment in sonic perception? It must be difficult to accquire drivers that are all built to one side of the design tolerance so that they will all sonicly improve with use. I think that there may be some changes to drivers with use; but you destroy your case by indicating that speakers always improve with use. Statisticaly, it is expected that nearly as many will change and move away from nominal and generate a degraded sound.
You can't have this be a unidirectional effect... it won't work that way. By indicating that it is shows that you are observing adaptation to your hearing, not actual sonic changes to the drivers. The mind will always try to adjust things to what it wants to hear or see and that is all that speaker break-in is.

D

Danny Richie

Audioholic Intern
The former shows that you’re ignorant and the latter just means you're a bigot.
Actually I think the same of you from your response to that. I bigot though, am not.

I would imagine though that the guys that operate this site would not have us go into political or religious views, and we should respect that.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Danny Richie said:
Yea, now look into the eyes of this kooky icon :eek: and repeat this words, my speakers need burn in time, my speakers need burn in time, my speakers need burn in time... :D
Then burn the damn things in before you send them to the paying customers and be done with it.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Danny Richie said:
No way. All that research was for me, not for the education of my competitors. They can do their own research.
Danny,

Are there any other speaker designers that you respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis