Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There has been a lot of talk lately about Speaker Break In among our forum users. Since there seems to be much confusion and misinformation about this topic we asked Mark Sanfilipo (our resident Loudspeaker Expert) to author an article on this topic and share his experiences and research.

Speaker Break In

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
gene said:
There has been a lot of talk lately about Speaker Break In among our forum users. Since there seems to be much confusion and misinformation about this topic we asked Mark Sanfilipo (our resident Loudspeaker Expert) to author an article on this topic and share his experiences and research.

Speaker Break In
.....Gene, I appreciate this posting and agree with it....I give you a green chicklet, even though that's like pitching a cup of water into Lake Michigan.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never really thought drivers changed much over time, except when the spider or surround started to actually deteriorate. I always tell people, your speakers will break in in just a few minutes; they won't change over days or hours.

What about crossover components? I believe I read on here some time ago that they do change somewhat at first also during early cycling, but after a short amount of time, there was no audible change.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, this is all fine and good...but when are we going to see a write up about the benefits of power cable burn in? ;)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
So, when a manufacturer sugests an "break in" period of 500-100 hours are they really allowing us to "get used to" hearing the sound of the new speakers before making a subjective evaluation of their performance? :confused:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I would say so. Your ears are excellent at adjusting to the sound of speakers.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
What about crossover components? I believe I read on here some time ago that they do change somewhat at first also during early cycling, but after a short amount of time, there was no audible change.
.....J_Garcia, I just took your question about possible crossover break-in to someone by IM, and he said the capacitors in the crossover go through a break-in period, but there is no heat involved.....

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
jcPanny said:
So, when a manufacturer sugests an "break in" period of 500-100 hours are they really allowing us to "get used to" hearing the sound of the new speakers before making a subjective evaluation of their performance? :confused:
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
So, if someone could be so kind...

is speaker break-in fact or fiction?

I started reading the article, got to the equations and my eyes started blurring. Then there were the tables, and the graphics, and the scientific jargon and by then blood was seeping from my eyes and I developed this migrain-like headache.

:eek:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

jcPanny said:
A truly cynical person might think that's about how long it takes to get thru the typical 30 return period many manufacturers offer... :rolleyes:

Shadow_Ferret said:
I started reading the article, got to the equations and my eyes started blurring. Then there were the tables, and the graphics, and the scientific jargon and by then blood was seeping from my eyes and I developed this migrain-like headache.
The answer, of course, is 42.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Code, code, code. How about some measurements? Free air response, with current voltage and SPL?

cam

cam

Audioholic
For anyone doubting speaker break-in, I can atleast say that woofer break-in is a fact. I'm on my third sub, and yes I do have a rad shack spl, out of the box I got anemic bass, my spl does not lie. As time went by, at about 20 hours of use, I was able to calibrate my sub with the rest of my system. As time went on during the 20 hours of break-in, I continually had to turn down my sub to keep the same spl's with regards to the rest of my system. My ears are my judgement and may differ from time to time, but my rad shack sound pressure meter does not lie. Aside from spl's of broken in woofers, especially subwoofers, on my main speakers, I to this day have never heard a difference from a brand new tweeter and a broken-in one. The woofers on my main speakers have gone from a popping sound when new and driven hard to a full bass note sound after about 20 hours. No change in spl's though, just a fuller sound.

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
cam said:
For anyone doubting speaker break-in, I can atleast say that woofer break-in is a fact. I'm on my third sub, and yes I do have a rad shack spl, out of the box I got anemic bass, my spl does not lie. As time went by, at about 20 hours of use, I was able to calibrate my sub with the rest of my system. As time went on during the 20 hours of break-in, I continually had to turn down my sub to keep the same spl's with regards to the rest of my system. My ears are my judgement and may differ from time to time, but my rad shack sound pressure meter does not lie. Aside from spl's of broken in woofers, especially subwoofers, on my main speakers, I to this day have never heard a difference from a brand new tweeter and a broken-in one. The woofers on my main speakers have gone from a popping sound when new and driven hard to a full bass note sound after about 20 hours. No change in spl's though, just a fuller sound.
Speaker break-in is a known fact. Things get more mellow and natural. Proof that break-in has nothing to do with us getting used to things is that most retailers and manufacturers will tell you to leave the speakers on all day when you're not home.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
cam said:

By the way, did you use a precision volt meter to check the input voltage at the sub terminals at a single frequency and record the spl level, say 1 meter away, then repeat 20 hrs later? Or, just your memory over who knows how many days it took to have 20 hrs on the sub? I suspect the latter.

I have serious doubts about your protocol.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
pikers said:
Speaker break-in is a known fact.
pikers said:
HUH? Care to share? What happens? How is anything affected that translates to audibility???

Things get more mellow and natural.

Yes, the brain is excellent at filling in the gaps, blanks, empty holes, etc. IMAGINATION.

Proof that break-in has nothing to do with us getting used to things is that most retailers and manufacturers will tell you to leave the speakers on all day when you're not home.

That is your PROOF???
Hey, how about some Hemlock tonight, a large glass. But I am not a retailer for it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis