Some words regarding Neal Young removing his music from Spotify.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Which are? I still haven't had anyone link to the smoking gun.

It's obvious I'm 100% pro vaccine and the efficacy that the data represents. I even started the thread about people refusing the vaccine paying out of pocket for their care.

Just because someone has the opinion, and I do believe it to be incorrect, about if you should get vaccinated or not, does not rise to the level of a disinformation campaign.

I'm going to reserve my opinion on this until someone can show me video/s of the real denial that is causing harm.

Let me ask this another way:

I think we've all been in threads before where one of us has held a position and done a great job of supporting it. The last thread for me personally was finding that Synergistic Research is using a repacked $15 TP-Link. I didn't just do a cheap "because I said" or "everyone else is saying it so the plural mis-information is information".

I went and factually supported my supposition. Is this too hard of an ask? I'll be the first to support the removal of denier podcasts if someone can show me.
That's where I'm at. I'm not anti vaxxer either. I think Joe might be misinformed at times, but he's admitted to being wrong before and makes it clear everything he says should be fact checked because he's no expert. He says it very often and I take it seriously. I know better than to just take what he says as fact and it's because he tells me not to. So I don't, duh. I also agree with you that crazy will believe crazy no matter what and there's nothing you can do about some of those folks... that said, disagree with him or not I just don't see any real, damning evidence of an intentional misinformation campaign on his part that calls for crucifixion.

I really don't think this is a fame or money grab. He could stop now and still be set for life, for generations. He lives out of town and keeps his private life very private. He doesn't do many interviews outside of ufc stuff or go out of his way to grab headlines. He does the podcast because he thinks it's fun, he gets some great guests and loves doing it. If it ever stops being fun to do he's said he'll just stop. It becoming so popular just sorta happened, but he's been consistently the same guy for over 20 years from what I've seen.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
And true in this thread as well…
1643576647465.png

speaking of Peterson, I have yet to listen to his episode on Rogan - looking forward to it!

jinjuku

jinjuku

So no one gets me wrong:

I wish JR had a different opinion, one that lines up with the data. I think given his position he could be a significant and positive change agent.

But here we go: When you have Trump telling rally attendees about the need for vaccination and he gets boo'd. I rest my case.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So no one gets me wrong:

I wish JR had a different opinion, one that lines up with the data. I think given his position he could be a significant and positive change agent.

But here we go: When you have Trump telling rally attendees about the need for vaccination and he gets boo'd. I rest my case.
I just shared this sentiment with some friends.
I have always felt that people with the public's ears owe a responsibility to do no harm. As innocuous as his comments may be, the thing is it takes only one person to act on it. This is how the worst of the past 5 years has happened, after all... it started with one voice and a message. It may have been Gingrich back in the 80s for all we know, but it started and here we are.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I just shared this sentiment with some friends.
I have always felt that people with the public's ears owe a responsibility to do no harm. As innocuous as his comments may be, the thing is it takes only one person to act on it. This is how the worst of the past 5 years has happened, after all... it started with one voice and a message. It may have been Gingrich back in the 80s for all we know, but it started and here we are.
I totally agree with you on sharing the sentiment. We would have to take a fire hose of immense size to clean out all the garbage that is publicly spewed and does harm to people, whether intentionally or not.

Having relations in both the police department and social services, I inject something close to home. What do we make of politicians calling for "Defunding the Police". Has this policy done no harm to already high crime areas? How has that worked out for the cities that did it? Sending untrained & unarmed social service employeesl into high risk situations that could easily erupt into violence is asking for slaughter. But that doesn't matter I guess since the politicians calling for these policies do not have to live with the consequences.

At least with JR, and others like him, you can just not listen, change the channel, caveat emptor, whatever. As for the people in tough neighborhoods, the have no choice when they have to call 911.

Apologies, this rant really belongs in its own forum. Back to football.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As innocuous as his comments may be, the thing is it takes only one person to act on it.
And that person that acts on it has personal agency upon the action they take.

If we are going to move to society of just canceling and silencing people of differential opinion. Well damn do I have list of people to shut the heck up.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Like so much else, there is a much deeper social conversation necessary, one in which we are adverse to having. Not about Rogan.
About what has happened on this land we call America since Europeans first claimed it as their [our] own.

To answer my friend, I do not spend time with podcasts or almost any streaming of conversations or a persons though processes. Just not my jam. And this extended to talk radio, previously.
I knew a guy that listened to Rush non stop if his show was on the air. *shudders The sad thing is, back then, he made enough sense to get you hooked...

Regardless, I don't propose a censoring of voices. That gets us nowhere. I laugh at inappropriate jokes and I would like to continue to do so. ;)
But where do we, if possible, make the change between gaslighting a fringe movement or population, and calling that voice entertainment?
Not too different to look at a pro athlete and weigh whether they are a role model by definition of their position in the public eye, regardless of who they were prior to attaining that position.

While a person in the public arena should act with some modicum of awareness and responsibility for their actions and message, where is the point when it can be said that a person has gone too far? What should the consequence be? Who gets to decide?

We can just as easily look at some others... perhaps Cosby? Should Cosby show get pulled from syndication because of what he did? Or his standup shows made unavailable? No. Should he be publicly known to have also done some not so savory things? Absolutely.
What about Richard Wagner?... by all accounts an absolutely horrible human being while he was alive, yet he wrote some of the most astounding music known to humankind... But then the Nazis used him as a paradigm of their politics. Should his music be banned?

This can go on and, as will the unfortunate discourse we experience daily in American Politics.

Anybody want to suggest a way out of that hole? One that doesn't leave us in open rebellion or civil war? People still dying from a disease that could have been largely stopped from spreading the way it has? While facing a potential new world war?...

I'll stop now that I've thoroughly depressed myself.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Feel bad for this guy. He's getting killed in the twitter world. Wonder how much longer he will last at the NY Times?

1643600399463.png

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

Young's actions were apparently inspired by this letter:

From the letter:

...signed by 270 scientists, doctors, and other health professionals earlier in January. It alleged that Rogan had broadcast inaccuracies about COVID-19, including by hosting guests who plugged ivermectin as an effective treatment and by portraying vaccines as unnecessary for young people.
As I've stated before, I haven't listened to one of JR'S podcasts. However, I get the impression from his critics that he spouts nonsense such as, "Young people don't need to be vaccinated against COVID" (paraphrasing) and allows guests to spout nonsense, while framing it in "Just asking questions" terms.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Young's actions were apparently inspired by this letter:

From the letter:

As I've stated before, I haven't listened to one of JR'S podcasts. However, I get the impression from his critics that he spouts nonsense such as, "Young people don't need to be vaccinated against COVID" (paraphrasing) and allows guests to spout nonsense, while framing it in "Just asking questions" terms.
I usually find the "Just asking questions" to be a disingenuous excuse.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I totally agree with you on sharing the sentiment. We would have to take a fire hose of immense size to clean out all the garbage that is publicly spewed and does harm to people, whether intentionally or not.

Having relations in both the police department and social services, I inject something close to home. What do we make of politicians calling for "Defunding the Police". Has this policy done no harm to already high crime areas? How has that worked out for the cities that did it? Sending untrained & unarmed social service employeesl into high risk situations that could easily erupt into violence is asking for slaughter. But that doesn't matter I guess since the politicians calling for these policies do not have to live with the consequences.

At least with JR, and others like him, you can just not listen, change the channel, caveat emptor, whatever. As for the people in tough neighborhoods, the have no choice when they have to call 911.

Apologies, this rant really belongs in its own forum. Back to football.

""change the channel, "

So simple but some just can't do it. And here we are in the mess we have today. The media. Kinda goes all the way back to Orson Wells in 1938 where a radio show caused millions to think the earth was being invaded by aliens. ""The combination of the news bulletin form of the performance with the between-breaks dial spinning habits of listeners was later reported to have created widespread confusion among listeners who failed to hear the introduction, although the extent of this confusion has come into question. Panic was reportedly spread among listeners who believed the fictional news reports of a Martian invasion. "" The power of the media to was born that day.

jinjuku

jinjuku

He's holds some counter opinions. But they are just that. He's not spreading misinformation like nano-bots or gene modifying code.

The detractors are going to couple this with his popularity and their estimation is this creates a toxic cocktail.

I just don't see it as the gun aimed at the head of the impressionable. I could be wrong. But like everyone else I'm allowed my opinion.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
He's holds some counter opinions. But they are just that. He's not spreading misinformation like nano-bots or gene modifying code.

The detractors are going to couple this with his popularity and their estimation is this creates a toxic cocktail.

I just don't see it as the gun aimed at the head of the impressionable. I could be wrong. But like everyone else I'm allowed my opinion.
Of course you are.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I've had the same xm rate since 2010. $130.24.. I just complain, every year when the renewal notification hits my inbox etc... they give ya the run around and I note, I'll stay if I can have the same rate I had last year, which was the same rate I had the year before et. I don't utilize XM for the music quality just for plain old having music there and the other items on there along with music. The wife uses it more than I since she is an Elvis fan.
Is that for a year? They wanted about $27/month and I told them to pound sand.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis