Sherbourn 7/2100a hot while in standby...

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Hey guys, new member here.

I picked up a Sherbourn 7/2100a amp from a friend that had it brand new in the box and never used. it is a 200 watt 7 channel beast! It is relatively old but was still in sealed box. He is letting me use it to see how I like it. It sounds pretty amazing! I am running an Integra 40.2 as the pre-amp and it is powering SVS Ultra Towers, Center and rears. My question is that the amp seems to be pretty warm when it is in standby mode. I have the amp set up in Music mode so if no signal is present it switches to standby. I have an Aircon T8 cooling the amp set to 90 deg. . So in standby it is still triggering the fans! Is this normal for an amp to run hot in standby? I am new to separate components as I have always just used the Integra 40.2 to run they system. The amp also has a 12 volt trigger...but isn't the Music setting the same thing to put it into standby?

thanks in advance

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In my experience, every single component I have owned (never owned a Sherbourn) is COOL in Standby mode!

Now if it's POWERED up and just sitting there not playing anything, I can understand if it gets warm.

But it should be cool in Standby Mode.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
thanks for the reply, yeah, it baffles me of why this is getting warm. Just checked now and in standby is has an audible hum, like 60 hrtz and is 80 deg in standby

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
thanks for the reply, yeah, it baffles me of why this is getting warm. Just checked now and in standby is has an audible hum, like 60 hrtz and is 80 deg in standby
I have never heard any kind of hum noise in Standby Mode from any component.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That unit is obviously has a serious malfunction.

From your description I would regard the unit as a VERY serious fire hazard.

My strong recommendation is to take it out of service immediately and have recycled when this pandemic is over. If I remember correctly those units were known to be an absolute packet of trouble. That was a very unwise purchase.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I used to have a Sherbourn 5/1500A and I don't remember it being hot in standby. Now, it got pretty hot when turned on, even with only two channels being used.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
That unit is obviously has a serious malfunction.

From your description I would regard the unit as a VERY serious fire hazard.

My strong recommendation is to take it out of service immediately and have recycled when this pandemic is over. If I remember correctly those units were known to be an absolute packet of trouble. That was a very unwise purchase.
As i mentioned in the post....i did not purchase the unit yet. My friend is letting me use the amp to see if I like it.

thanks for the reply though...

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
I used to have a Sherbourn 5/1500A and I don't remember it being hot in standby. Now, it got pretty hot when turned on, even with only two channels being used.
thank you for the reply... the unit gets to about 80 deg in standby.... is that very uncommon?

thanks

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
thank you for the reply... the unit gets to about 80 deg in standby.... is that very uncommon?

thanks
Well, at what temp do you keep your house? If your house air temp is 74 degrees, that is only 6 degrees higher. May not be a problem.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Well, at what temp do you keep your house? If your house air temp is 74 degrees, that is only 6 degrees higher. May not be a problem.
I just checked again, and it was at 90.... this is in a basement that is probably 70 if not 68. I pulled it out of the system and no hum through the speakers. Its a shame because it sounded really clean and tight. Don't want to risk damage to the speakers though

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Emotiva seems to have bought out Sherbourn some years ago, so you might call them and see if you can speak with technical support there and see if they can tell you anything helpful.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Yes.... spoke to them and they don,t support products anymore. Sucks because I'm sure it would be a great addition to the system and my friend would sell it dirt cheap as it has been in his storage for years...

thank you for your reply's, much appreciated.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Where is the rear panel switch set to?
If set to Music the amplifier will idle warm...
IMHO...
I doubt if anything is wrong with the product if it came out of sealed box...
Overall their products are built very well and are reliable.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Emotiva seems to have bought out Sherbourn some years ago, so you might call them and see if you can speak with technical support there and see if they can tell you anything helpful.
Emotiva wouldn't even support Gene's Emotiva Amp when it was out of warranty. So no way Emotiva would support the old Sherbourn. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The big question is, how HOT does it get when you DO play music or movies?

You can always turn if OFF COMPLETELY when not using as long as it doesn't burn up when playing music/movies.

You can also put three 120mm USB-fans atop the amp to pull heat out of the chassis.

Personally, if an amp or component BURNS up while in use, I don't want it because it tells me that it's probably bad engineering.

And I can afford better engineering. :D

Last edited:
Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
thanks for the replies guys.... I have an Aircon T8 cooler on it so its stays cool during playback. it is set to Music on the rear panel, but with no input signal it switches to standby....still stays at like 90 deg, and still hear a buzz. My concern is the buzzing sound coming from the amp and the slight hiss I get out of my tweeters from Towers, center and surrounds. Took it out of system today and hooked speaker back up to the Integra, no hiss at all.

Shame, I was excited to incorporate ......

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
thanks for the replies guys.... I have an Aircon T8 cooler on it so its stays cool during playback. it is set to Music on the rear panel, but with no input signal it switches to standby....still stays at like 90 deg, and still hear a buzz. My concern is the buzzing sound coming from the amp and the slight hiss I get out of my tweeters from Towers, center and surrounds. Took it out of system today and hooked speaker back up to the Integra, no hiss at all.

Shame, I was excited to incorporate ......
FWIW, I will say, that 5/1500A that I had seemed to smear the highs and mids a bit and didn't seem as "musical" as when I listened direct to my Onkyo TX-NR 809. Music just sounds "prettier", more emotional through the Onkyo. I even tried a couple different pairs of interconnects. The 5/1500A had all kinds of power and slam, but the transients of bass attacks were not as immediate and defined as with just the Onkyo. Vocals also sounded better with just the Onkyo.

Shelby331

Shelby331

Enthusiast
Good to know.... thanks. It does sound good out of my Intergra..... but we are always wanting more...;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you like your Ultras? I've had mine about 3 years now and I'm not itching to get rid of them anytime soon. Well, unless I hit the lottery or something... :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis