rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Cheers, yeah, big fan of lotsa power. :) I've been really stoked with it. The weak link is now the room, so, I've been considering my acoustic routes a bit but time hasn't permitted. I want to learn about treating a room a bit more before I buy anything expensive.

In the mean time I might buy two more Auralex LERNDs. I heard they are garbage (Although WmAx said they were good), but, man, they seem to work to me... and being able to get them at guitar center for cheap is nice. They'll hold me over until I figure what I want to do at least. :?

Learn BEFORE you buy ... Hummm

That would totally screw up my ready, fire, aim approach to this hobby.:)

I have a couple of these coming for the back wall. Kind of a cool looking but functional bass trap.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Learn BEFORE you buy ... Hummm

That would totally screw up my ready, fire, aim approach to this hobby.:)

I have a couple of these coming for the back wall. Kind of a cool looking but functional bass trap.
Cool. Let me know how they work for you. They are resonable in cost too.

What got you interested in those?

Auralex gets kind of dogged on the Internet, but you could buy a crapload of Auralex stuff for what other companies sell panels for ... so, I wonder /how/ much better they are. Plus a lot of Auralex stuff is in stock and easy to get. It sucks that if you order a panel then there is a four week wait to get it while some guy in a garage puts it together.

So, since I just watched more movies last night that aren't 16:9.... what's the deal on getting an anamorphic lense? Or should I just get a automatic masking screen?

The black bars are far more noticable on a big projection screen than they were on my LCD. And it is annoying that so many movies now are ultra-wide.

Do I need an anamorphic lense, or can I just use a horizontal masking system like Carada sells? Even just the horizontal masking system is bloody expensive.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
So, since I just watched more movies last night that aren't 16:9.... what's the deal on getting an anamorphic lense? Or should I just get a automatic masking screen?
IMO, auto masking is better than the lens deal. With the former, you can choose to have ANY size for any AR. So if your 16:9 is super beautiful, you are not relegated to having to shrink its size.

Then there is the distortion involved. I mean, it's still cool, but distorting cannot possibly make it better, right? That's why they use curved screens, to reduce pincushioning.

I still remember BMX talking a lil bit bout that:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=402841&postcount=6
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=412462&postcount=11

Do I need an anamorphic lense, or can I just use a horizontal masking system like Carada sells? Even just the horizontal masking system is bloody expensive.
Either way is expensive. I suppose selling the lens will be much easier, and it will also have a better chance of being in use for a longer time (for example, if you ever move, you may totally change screen size, and then what). I still think automasking is the shiznit though.

You will also need vertical stretch. I think your PJ prolly has it, the 7500 was it? Many PJs don't, then you need to add a video processor too! (Some receivers might enable it, but who knows how that implementation works).

Cheaper ways:

1) Sell Epson, get the Pana 4000 with auto-zoom presets, 6 of them. Get scope screen, or mask the one you have now to 2.35. Your total loss here, I am led to believe, will be 1k in the worst case scenario. The performance between the units should be pretty darn close I am led to believe.

2) Make your own DIY masking system. I saw a pretty intense one right here. He is an AHer too, but rarely posts here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1187881

Cheaper way that may come around if we are lucky:

Masking panels that are designed to fit into your existing screen. This means you manually fit them in. Stewart not only makes the uber expensive auto systems, but the panels right here:

http://www.smxscreen.com/pro-panels-masking.html

There was chatter and hopes that they may work for Carada, and last I read, it's a no go for any other brands. Now some hope that Carada themselves will make similar items. What is your screen?

I almost forgot, the anamorphic lens of choice is the ISCO III. Don't ask me how much, and I sort of don't even want to know. My friend, an installer, just saw a nice curved screen setup with a Panamorph lens with high end Mits, and he said it did look pretty sweet. The quality of lens is a very big deal. Oh yeah, don't forget the sled either.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, I said Stewart for the "manual" panels, but obviously I am very wrong there. It's SMX. Too late to edit my mistake.

I am curious how you lean after reading my post. Cheers dood.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Cool. Let me know how they work for you. They are resonable in cost too.

What got you interested in those?

Auralex gets kind of dogged on the Internet, but you could buy a crapload of Auralex stuff for what other companies sell panels for ... so, I wonder /how/ much better they are. Plus a lot of Auralex stuff is in stock and easy to get. It sucks that if you order a panel then there is a four week wait to get it while some guy in a garage puts it together.

The black bars are far more noticable on a big projection screen than they were on my LCD. And it is annoying that so many movies now are ultra-wide.

Actually I was browsing their site after you started using them and thought the SonoColumns would be perfect for under the S8's.:cool:

Re the scope screens, I don’t like any of the current 2.35/2.40 options. The black bars don’t bother me that much and a good CIH solution is very expensive. When they start making projectors with variable aspect ratios and masking plus LED bulbs, I’m in … :)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys.

Looks like it is too much money for what it is worth. I'ma keep working on the acoustic side.

I plan on being where I'm at for a while. I'm going to save up money to build a home, which will take me another 4 years at the current flow of things, then we'll see how much time and what land is available. That will have a dedicated theater with the proper acoustic dimensions and will require a bigger screen (acoustically transparent) and bigger projector and so forth.

That's a long ways away, my room now has a lot of limitations.

So right now I'm just kind of staying on the cheap. I'm with rmk that I think projectors will need to come a ways before I buy a new one. Plus my 7500 looks /amazing/ on my screen. It's just a VuTec (cheap screens built down here in Florida). Some of that might be because I'm only projecting a small distance. I watched Kung Fu Panda over the weekend, and man did that look (and sound) beautiful.

I think my focus on what to work on is a little hazy right now. Acoustic panels and so forth could always be used in the future, so, maybe that's the route I will go for now.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks guys.

Looks like it is too much money for what it is worth. I'ma keep working on the acoustic side.

I plan on being where I'm at for a while. I'm going to save up money to build a home, which will take me another 4 years at the current flow of things, then we'll see how much time and what land is available. That will have a dedicated theater with the proper acoustic dimensions and will require a bigger screen (acoustically transparent) and bigger projector and so forth.

That's a long ways away, my room now has a lot of limitations.

So right now I'm just kind of staying on the cheap. I'm with rmk that I think projectors will need to come a ways before I buy a new one. Plus my 7500 looks /amazing/ on my screen. It's just a VuTec (cheap screens built down here in Florida). Some of that might be because I'm only projecting a small distance. I watched Kung Fu Panda over the weekend, and man did that look (and sound) beautiful.

I think my focus on what to work on is a little hazy right now. Acoustic panels and so forth could always be used in the future, so, maybe that's the route I will go for now.
Good common sense thinking on your part. Build the home, then do the home theater right. That will give you a few years for the video technologies to mature and for you to figure out what "right" means for you. You can take solace in that your current system is better than 99.999% of HT's and to get to six nines is very expensive.:)

BTW, has JM ever given a short answer :confused::p;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
In meantime, do what's common sense and all that this hobby is about....

Enjoy the music....
Enjoy the movies....
have fun :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, has JM ever given a short answer :confused::p;)
Yes, sometimes. :) For you guys, rarely. :p

I greatly appreciate when someone helps me learn about something, so I try to build as much good karma as I can. :D Like when MS gave me some of his knowledge on different media servers.

Midnight, the effects may be minimal, but it might help to play with PJ placement and settings. I know with many PJs, using more vertical shift will measurably increase ANSI contrast. Using a longer throw gives you greater on/off contrast if the aperture is being closed up, since the stray light is reduced. The key there is that black level is reduced more than white level. If you can set it up where your black bars are blacker (less offensive), you most likely are also improving both ANSI and on/off.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Good common sense thinking on your part. Build the home, then do the home theater right. That will give you a few years for the video technologies to mature and for you to figure out what "right" means for you. You can take solace in that your current system is better than 99.999% of HT's and to get to six nines is very expensive.:)
Cheers. Yeah, no rush. It's fun tinkering with this stuff though. I'll always keep it on a reasonable budget, one of my favorite things about this hobby is that there really are savings in being a hobbyist, and great systems are obtainable through a bit of research and some love.

In meantime, do what's common sense and all that this hobby is about....

Enjoy the music....
Enjoy the movies....
have fun :D
Cheers! Yeah, I've been really enjoying it more than ever. Watching lots of movies, listening to lots of music. My sister came over this weekend and we watched Kung Fu Panda, she loved the system - it's cool that this hobby can be shared with just about everyone. Some of my enjoyment does come from gushing over new gear though.

Yes, sometimes. :) For you guys, rarely. :p

I greatly appreciate when someone helps me learn about something, so I try to build as much good karma as I can. :D Like when MS gave me some of his knowledge on different media servers.

Midnight, the effects may be minimal, but it might help to play with PJ placement and settings. I know with many PJs, using more vertical shift will measurably increase ANSI contrast. Using a longer throw gives you greater on/off contrast if the aperture is being closed up, since the stray light is reduced. The key there is that black level is reduced more than white level. If you can set it up where your black bars are blacker (less offensive), you most likely are also improving both ANSI and on/off.
Thanks man, I appreciate your help. How'd your search go for a media server? What route did you go? I forgot how we left it.

I will mess with the projector more this weekend and try that. It has a memory, so I can always try different settings and test them out. I keep planning on bringing the color correction eye home from work, it says it can color correct projectors so I want to try it. Lots of settings in the projector, so I think I have a lot to gain by trying some of them out.

What is ANSI contrast? The difference between the white and black?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks man, I appreciate your help. How'd your search go for a media server? What route did you go? I forgot how we left it.
Hey, my pleasure. I didn't do nuthin! If the Sonos was a lot cheaper, I might have got it. Or if the unpleasant thought of loading so much music for an eternity could be sidestepped, then I would be more willing to spend. Really, I shouldn't be spending on anything for a while, but we will see how long that lasts, and obviously it does nothing to stop me from researching AV stuff, hehe.

I will mess with the projector more this weekend and try that. It has a memory, so I can always try different settings and test them out. I keep planning on bringing the color correction eye home from work, it says it can color correct projectors so I want to try it. Lots of settings in the projector, so I think I have a lot to gain by trying some of them out.
Surely. I would run search functions at owner's threads. If you happen to have the same PJ as majorloser, I would PM him to see what kind of settings and/or other tips he may have.

What is ANSI contrast? The difference between the white and black?
Yes, it's the contrast that is measured with the checkerboard of white and black. The ANSI is always lower than on/off (especially with DI), and there of course has been a lot of discussion as to which is more important and/or fair as a measurement. Pioneer Elites have pretty much set the bar as far as ANSI to the best of knowledge, getting around 3k or more. Most displays have only a fraction, and I mean a small fraction. Some digital PJs like DLPs may have very high ANSI and low on/off, where the old school CRTs are the opposite.

Anyways, regarding playing with shift and distance, there is probably not much you can do. Also, there will be a critical point where you are already getting the max benefit without compromising other elements of PQ, so don't go crazy with maximums by any means. Caveat: I'm still a video noobie, and all of the above posts may warrant further investigation, especially because I read much more about JVCs than I do Epsons.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
“You have to have an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.”

- Pablo Picasso
(Spanish Artist and Painter. 1881-1973)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Playing with the camera late last night...

Snap-On nut drivers.

My rack uses all tamper proof screws. I don't need them obviously, but from the big systems I'm used to them and I like the way they look better, so I have a little case where I keep the bits and screws.

I've been slowly organizing my tool closet, once its cleaner I'll snap some pictures of that closet in the back. Lots of speakers, cables, goodies, tools, and so forth.

I'm also going to start to order some new cables for the rack and clean it up back there. Like I have a 25-ft HDMI in there when I only need a 10-ft. Probably going to get some tech flex for in there also.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
For now I'm pretty happy with the audio and video side of things, so I'm kind of toying with my rack....

Ordered some new, shorter, HDMI cables from Monoprice today for the rack.

Also ordered a power strip from Middle Atlantic. The snap-in kind for the rear rails. Its a ripoff at over 100 bucks, but I've been wanting one for a while, so I finally buckled.

This week I'm going to order some Tech Flex through work (cheaper since we have an account). Not sure what sizes I should get, hard to tell with tech-flex. I want the wrap style.

Only thing I'm not sure on yet is how I want to handle getting some fans in my rack. The amps and receiver are fine, but my AppleTV and Playstation get hot. I have some rednecked fans that work, but, I'd like something more professional. Like a little fan controller or something.

Will take pictures, as always. :)

PS. Did I mention my JTR T8's are amazing? Pristine quality with nightclub output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cool setup. How do the Danley subs work in that room? Looks like they should rattle the whole house.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I thought I had a good idea ordering stuff through work, but, I would have been better off to pay more, get less, and get it all through Parts Express. What am I going to do with 100ft of heat shrink and 200ft of Tech-Flex (in different sizes)? It's kind of like going to Costco or Sam's Club and walking out with the 100 pack of toilet paper. Yeah, its cheap, but, do I want to store it?

Also got some new HDMI cables (shorter ones for inside the rack) from Monoprice and I'm going to bring home my label maker from work.

Cool setup. How do the Danley subs work in that room? Looks like they should rattle the whole house.
Cheers!

They sound very clean, and have insane output. Really I only need one for output, I have two because it allows me to flatten room response. I had some lighting rattles that I fixed with some high-temperature dampening material, but the walls are all concrete, and glass is all hurricane, so, even at high output the rest of my place is pretty quiet. They are actually sort of overkill, but, so is everything else in there... might as well match it. They will pin my Radioshack SPL meter no problem. Also my room is so air-tight if the door is open they will shut it for me. :)

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Care to share the details?
Sure, I used Dynashield. It's an acoustic dampener for engine bays. My lights are LED, so they run fairly cool, but I still wanted something high temperature because the transformers make some heat (warm to the touch). I lined the back sides, so you can't see it.

I still haven't mounted any artwork because I know all the frames vibrate.

Sounds like an undocumented feature :p.
Maybe it could be an excuse to learn to use the HD video feature of my camera. :D

Right now the rack is all apart for my re-wiring, but I'll try out some video for SPL and the door and outside noise and stuff once I'm done. As long as you guys don't mind bad cinematography. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis