MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
So, I did some measuring last night. I'm calling JTR and ordering some JTR T8's for the L, C and R.

They are 26" tall, Jeff said he'd mount the compression/mid coax up top and hook me up with some speaker grills. They are going to serve double duty as my home theater speakers and as a mobile rig for the occasional smaller private parties I do. This will allow me to nix some of my older pro gear that is large, dated, and taking up space. (Anyone want to buy 60-lb. reggae-style scoop subwoofers that wreak of beer and bong water?)

I heard the 12s at JTR last year, so I only hope the 8s perform as well for their size. :) I'm hoping for a soundstage that can keep up with my screen size.

THIS IS ALL RMK'S FAULT! :mad::D:D

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I'm jealous of you guys. I'd go for some JTR's if I wasn't in an apartment. :(

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
So the JTR 8's will be here this week. I ordered standard L and R's and a wedge style center channel. The L and R are going to be stacked on my Danley CS-30s, and the Wedge I'm going to put on stands (My M&K stands are heavy cast bases and accept standard poles, so I can make a bracket to hold anything using them). No sure how I'm going to do the stand yet, I'm going to look at speaker once it is here.

They are going to have the new tweeters and stainless steel speakon connectors, which is great for me when I use them travelling since I often do sets on the beach or by the water.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Will post some pictures soon, forgot my chip at work...

My JTR T8's came. They are awesome! I just got done watching Terminator Salvation with them - incredible. I picked the volume (extremely loud :D) at the beginning and never once touched the volume button again. Dialog was clear no matter what was going on, and the transients were absolutely mind blowing. The room was nightclub loud and the speakers never once sounded strained, and while it was super loud, because it was so clear never once did I feel like turning it down and my guest was absolutely floored loving every minute of it.

Did a lounge set on Friday night with a pair of the JTR8s, Danley CS-30 subwoofers and Danley SH-Mini's as my monitors. The JTR8s were powered by a Crest CC2800 and blew away my old tops. So, the home theater and the rig are becoming one and the same. :)

As a side note, I'm still using my M&K 750THX's for the rears. I'm pretty sure it is only a matter of time before one kicks the bucket trying to keep up with the JTRs. I have them set a little lower than they need to be, just because I'm afraid a tweeter will end up on my lap. I might toss them on a limiter.... or just say f- it and see how long they last.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
How much were the JTR8's and the CS-30's, if you don't mind me asking. Feel free to PM too.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Will post some pictures soon, forgot my chip at work...

My JTR T8's came. They are awesome! I just got done watching Terminator Salvation with them - incredible. I picked the volume (extremely loud :D) at the beginning and never once touched the volume button again. Dialog was clear no matter what was going on, and the transients were absolutely mind blowing. The room was nightclub loud and the speakers never once sounded strained, and while it was super loud, because it was so clear never once did I feel like turning it down and my guest was absolutely floored loving every minute of it.

Did a lounge set on Friday night with a pair of the JTR8s, Danley CS-30 subwoofers and Danley SH-Mini's as my monitors. The JTR8s were powered by a Crest CC2800 and blew away my old tops. So, the home theater and the rig are becoming one and the same. :)

As a side note, I'm still using my M&K 750THX's for the rears. I'm pretty sure it is only a matter of time before one kicks the bucket trying to keep up with the JTRs. I have them set a little lower than they need to be, just because I'm afraid a tweeter will end up on my lap. I might toss them on a limiter.... or just say f- it and see how long they last.
Just finished watching Terminator Salvation myself. I actually did end up turning it down as the bass was just relentless.

Glad you are happy with the T8's. Post some pics when you get a chance.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
How much were the JTR8's and the CS-30's, if you don't mind me asking. Feel free to PM too.
I'll give you a round'about answer.... ;)

JTR T8's list for 1200, depending on how you outfit them (handles, mounts, wood veneer, flyware, so forth change the price). It's best to call Jeff and ask him based on what you need.

Danley CS-30s are 1400-1700 passive, depending on how they are outfitted.

These are rough prices, so, it's best to ask. The Danley's I can connect you with a dealer, the JTRs it is best to call Jeff at 847.714.6878.

Just finished watching Terminator Salvation myself. I actually did end up turning it down as the bass was just relentless.

Glad you are happy with the T8's. Post some pics when you get a chance.
I plan on taking some tonight, I went into the office today to get a few things done, so, I'll bring the chip back.

As far as the T8's: I'm truely floored with them. I have a bit of the flu, but I've been meaning to call Jeff. I'm going to wait until my voice comes back.

I see why you put the 888's on your rears. How did your Revel's hold up as the rear channels when you had the 12LF's in front and the Revel inwalls?

I didn't hear any distortion out of my M&Ks as rears last night, but, I'm thinking I'll need to put them on a limiter.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, so excuse the mess and the dark photos (I always say I'm going to take them during the day, and then never do). The white channel along the front will have the wires tucked into it, and I'm going to play with placement, but I've just been a bit sick with the flu (good thing I got those vaccines, they worked great :rolleyes:) so it'll probably be next weekend. Saturday I just stacked them in and cranked 'em up. :)

The strange stand arrangement for the center is because I'm going to weld something together when I feel better. So for now its just on anything to lift it where I wanted it.

Snapped a shot of the rack too, now it's a bit full. :) Apple TV, DirectTV and U-Verse is behind that vent with their eyes positioned so I can shoot the remote through.

The setup is:

dbX driverack -> Crest CC1800 for JTR left and right, Crest CD2000 for Danley subwoofers
Crown XTi1000 bridged for JTR center
Crown XLS402 -> M&K rears

Crossover at 80Hz, haven't messed with any processing yet other than setting the limiters for the amps.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Okay, so excuse the mess and the dark photos (I always say I'm going to take them during the day, and then never do). The white channel along the front will have the wires tucked into it, and I'm going to play with placement, but I've just been a bit sick with the flu (good thing I got those vaccines, they worked great :rolleyes:) so it'll probably be next weekend. Saturday I just stacked them in and cranked 'em up. :)

The strange stand arrangement for the center is because I'm going to weld something together when I feel better. So for now its just on anything to lift it where I wanted it.

Snapped a shot of the rack too, now it's a bit full. :) Apple TV, DirectTV and U-Verse is behind that vent with their eyes positioned so I can shoot the remote through.

The setup is:

dbX driverack -> Crest CC1800 for JTR left and right, Crest CD2000 for Danley subwoofers
Crown XTi1000 bridged for JTR center
Crown XLS402 -> M&K rears

Crossover at 80Hz, haven't messed with any processing yet other than setting the limiters for the amps.
Very nice Sir,

Stack em and crank em, that is what Jeff P does. I kept asking him about position and toe in and he would say "that's fine, just turn it up" :p

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Contrats on the new speakers. Killer setup in the rack. I wish someone around me had JT's. I'd really like to check them out.

Cheers.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice Sir,

Stack em and crank em, that is what Jeff P does. I kept asking him about position and toe in and he would say "that's fine, just turn it up" :p
Haha, yeah, I talked to Jeff the other day. Stacked n' cranked is how I roll.

I told him I'd send him pictures, I should just given him the link here.

"How's this toe in?"
Great, crank it up.
"How about this tweeter position?"
Fine, turn it up."

:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Haha, yeah, I talked to Jeff the other day. Stacked n' cranked is how I roll.

I told him I'd send him pictures, I should just given him the link here.

"How's this toe in?"
Great, crank it up.
"How about this tweeter position?"
Fine, turn it up."

:D
Thats Jeff ...

Now about that light show the Crest CC amps provide. How do you manage to ignore them?:confused::p

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thats Jeff ...
In all seriousness about the "turn it up"...one thing I have noticed about these speakers is I do run the volume much louder than before. It's comfortible at a higher volume. They are able to handle wide dynamic swings of movie content now days, so I just set the levels and forget about them. Truely a nice thing to not have to worry about 'it's too soft for the dialog...'its too loud during the action'. Times I've watched movies on there I set the volume at the beginning action scene (to bloody loud) and left it until the end.

Now about that light show the Crest CC amps provide. How do you manage to ignore them?:confused::p
Everything in there provides a light show. It's off to the side though, I don't really notice it during a movie. Across from that rack is my recessed desk, which, kind of diffuses any light to where the listening position is. I looked at all kinds of places to put the rack, but, really the only better option was tearing out a closet and building a rack in. But, I'd rather have the closet. The rack is also a reflective surface, so eventually I plan on treating it to try to get its coefficient to match the other side of the room.

I still haven't gotten a change to play with some placements. Any recomendations? I think the sides need to come out more. The one in the left is really in a hole. :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
In all seriousness about the "turn it up"...one thing I have noticed about these speakers is I do run the volume much louder than before. It's comfortible at a higher volume. They are able to handle wide dynamic swings of movie content now days, so I just set the levels and forget about them. Truely a nice thing to not have to worry about 'it's too soft for the dialog...'its too loud during the action'. Times I've watched movies on there I set the volume at the beginning action scene (to bloody loud) and left it until the end.

Everything in there provides a light show. It's off to the side though, I don't really notice it during a movie. Across from that rack is my recessed desk, which, kind of diffuses any light to where the listening position is. I looked at all kinds of places to put the rack, but, really the only better option was tearing out a closet and building a rack in. But, I'd rather have the closet. The rack is also a reflective surface, so eventually I plan on treating it to try to get its coefficient to match the other side of the room.

I still haven't gotten a change to play with some placements. Any recomendations? I think the sides need to come out more. The one in the left is really in a hole. :)

Yeah the JTR's respond well to lots of power and high SLP (as do I;)). Your rack is far enough off to the right that I'm sure it is easy to ignore. I have lots of white surfaces in my room that could be called a distraction but I refuse to sit in a bat cave.

The LCR placement looks pretty good and as speakers go the JTR's are not finicky in that regard.
I think your system has come together nicely. :cool:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah the JTR's respond well to lots of power and high SLP (as do I;)). Your rack is far enough off to the right that I'm sure it is easy to ignore. I have lots of white surfaces in my room that could be called a distraction but I refuse to sit in a bat cave.

The LCR placement looks pretty good and as speakers go the JTR's are not finicky in that regard.
I think your system has come together nicely. :cool:
Cheers man! I'm keeping working on it. Next I want to try some acoustic treatments and also wire my rack up a bit nicer. It's pretty clean now, but, some cables are too long and so forth, and it just kind of bothers me...plus I like to wire manage. :)

I kind of want to try a Bag End E-Trap... but at 1,000 bucks a pop I donno.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for lookin. ;)

Kinda related, I just bought a Wacom Intous4 for work and I really like it:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis