MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I took a bunch of pictures of my wire management and then accidently deleted them, so I need to retake. :eek:

I ordered "Nine Inch Nails: Beside you in Time" blu-ray. I heard it has kickass sound, and, I haven't really tried any blu-ray music on the JTRs yet. Anyone got that one? I shipped it 2 day, so it should be here to play with Friday I hope.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I took a bunch of pictures of my wire management and then accidently deleted them, so I need to retake. :eek:

I ordered "Nine Inch Nails: Beside you in Time" blu-ray. I heard it has kickass sound, and, I haven't really tried any blu-ray music on the JTRs yet. Anyone got that one? I shipped it 2 day, so it should be here to play with Friday I hope.
Yes it has very good sound and decent PQ...if you like NiN, which I do on the very rare occasion.

I am hoping Chevelle will come out with a BluRay concert soon, they sound very very good in concert.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Got Nine Inch Nails "Beside you in time" today.... it's okay.

The picture quality isn't great, and the sound is good but not amazing. I mean, it is clear, but the dynamics aren't like a concert with a big rig...

Pft, it has all been downhill since Terminator Salvation and Batman Begins. Those blu-rays completely reoriented my expectations I think.

My favorite concert DVD is Nirvana Unplugged in New York. And while different, I'd say the sound quality on my Nirvana DVD is better than the NIN blu-ray...

Oh well, you win some you loose some.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Have you seen Kill Bill 1/2? TBH, I am not very tuned into the SQ of movies. But those look great. Man on Fire is pretty effective, is you're ok with the story. Galapagos is the best looking documentary. Bottle Rocket is the best looking comedy. Hm, Burn After Reading might be right up there for comedies. 400 Blows has the best shadow detail that I have ever subjectively seen, but it is a B/W movie. I think NCFOM is a top notch transfer/movie all around, but I have to admit that I am a video noob. Star Trek? Eastern Promises looks top notch from what I remember, but I wouldn't doubt if there was contrast boost (as I'm sure you could pick out, and am also sure more movies than not have it). Of course, if you like animation, there are a ton of choices there.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Have you seen Kill Bill 1/2? TBH, I am not very tuned into the SQ of movies. But those look great. Man on Fire is pretty effective, is you're ok with the story. Galapagos is the best looking documentary. Bottle Rocket is the best looking comedy. Hm, Burn After Reading might be right up there for comedies. 400 Blows has the best shadow detail that I have ever subjectively seen, but it is a B/W movie. I think NCFOM is a top notch transfer/movie all around, but I have to admit that I am a video noob. Star Trek? Eastern Promises looks top notch from what I remember, but I wouldn't doubt if there was contrast boost (as I'm sure you could pick out, and am also sure more movies than not have it). Of course, if you like animation, there are a ton of choices there.
Yeah, although not on my projector, maybe worth another rental, thanks!

Man on Fire is good, again I haven't seen it on the new stuff, but, it is a high contrast movie.

I haven't seen Burn After Reading, I'll check it out.

I saw "9" the other weekend, man did that movie look cool. Was amazing.

I'm going to watch a HD BBC Planet Earth episode now. At 11pm I gotta go to the club for a set from 12 to 2. Gotta pay for this s**t. :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I saw "9" the other weekend, man did that movie look cool. Was amazing.
Thanks, I remember your thread. I will rent that next. I have State of Play, and armed with extremely low expectations, do I hope to have a good time. :D

I'm going to watch a HD BBC Planet Earth episode now.
I had high hopes for PE. I don't know why, and I'm sure many of the cameras used for long term, extreme conditions, yet are very portable, aren't of the highest quality, but I was disappointed with the PQ. GREAT subject matter, otherwise. Galapagos blows PE out of the water. Narrated by Tilda Swinton. No mch track that I remember, I use PLiiX.

At 11pm I gotta go to the club for a set from 12 to 2. Gotta pay for this s**t. :)
Have a good time! And some more pics of hotties won't disappoint too many around here. ;)

edit: I'm soon going to have to google "steampunk" again, lol.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Someone dropped by my place and I never got to start Planet Earth, then I had to go. Then this weekend was nuts because of the superbowl (now that it actually started I'm back home chilling - not watching it hahaha), tons of parties so I was booked all weekend. They were charging $10,000 for just a basic VIP table on Saturday :eek: and 500 dollar cover :eek: The streets were so busy on Saturday I rode my bike to the club (only 15min, would have been more than an hour by car) and so I had headphones around my neck, a record bag strapped to my back (like 26-lbs, I know because they weigh it sometimes at the airport).

No pictures of hotties, my point-and-shoot finally died, and my new camera is a huge professional one (that I can barely use 10% of, but rocks anyways), and the Blackberry can't take low light pictures. You'll have to settle for.....MY POWERSTRIP!@#$!@#$!@#$!@ Sweet huh?

I will check out Galapagos for sure, thanks! I've watched Baraka that rmk recommended like 3 times now, straight through. Not even for the picture quality anymore, just because the scenery is amazing. I wish they had subtitles at the bottom saying where they were though in that one.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
There is a listing of the locations at the end of Baraka, makes for a good guessing game :).

The photos you have been posting lately are stellar. What camera are you using?

Also, what kind of power are you feeding the power strip? Are all of your amps plugged into the strip? I am running my amps directly to the wall outlets. It would be much cleaner if I could just install a heavy duty power strip and run everything off of that. I have three separate circuits (2X20 amp and 1-15 amp) running to the equipment closet. Your thoughts?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The photos you have been posting lately are stellar. What camera are you using?
Thanks!

It's a Canon 5D Mark II, I use mostly a Canon 24-105mm zoom lens in the theater. That last one I used a Canon Speedlite 580EX II flash.

These are always quick shots, so, I've been meaning to spend some time and actually photograph the theater and get some nice pictures. Sorta over my head with photography though haha.

Also, what kind of power are you feeding the power strip? Are all of your amps plugged into the strip? I am running my amps directly to the wall outlets. It would be much cleaner if I could just install a heavy duty power strip and run everything off of that. I have three separate circuits (2X20 amp and 1-15 amp) running to the equipment closet. Your thoughts?
Yeah, its just a heavy gauge power strip that clips into the back of the rack, all the amps are run into it. I have two 20A circuits through a voltage regulator. I haven't run into any problems.

I think you would be fine with a quality power strip. Since you have four subs, two that take a lot of juice, I'd probably run those amps on separate circuits from each other. Just to spread the load. You could probably run everything off one though... do you have a clip-on multimeter to see how much you draw? It won't show you peaks, but, could show you at idle. Like, my rack only draws 3A at idle with everything running.

Have you ever popped a breaker?

I've had problems when I was younger using big iron amps with lots of subs in rave systems and such. Like, trying to run six big amps off a 15A circuit in a huge room you'd be power limited. It would mostly depend on how much the subwoofers pulled (like horns are generally much easier than sealed boxes, and so forth). In a pinch, I used to rent a generator to run the amps off of. I guess I say that to say this: My intuition is that with two 20A's, you should have plenty of current. Like, your JTRs shouldn't draw much in that room (since, your ears will hurt at some point so close to them)....my T8s are loud before the signal light even flickers on my Crest... the only thing I'd expect to draw a fair amount is your Captivators. Any idea what their power/ IEC is? I remember the Growlers took some serious juice when I saw them.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the info. I have yet to trip a breaker and the clip lights never come on the Crest or QSC sub amps so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

BTW, if you like foreign films these two are really amazing. Red Cliff is a John Woo film that defies belief in terms of cinematography and sound.

Both films will give the best AV system a good workout.

Red Cliff
http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1011915563-0-0-0-en/info.html
http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-2-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1014460938-0-0-0-en/info.html

The Good, the Bad, the Weird
http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-good-the-bad-the-weird-blu-ray-limited-edition-korea-version/1020587678-0-0-0-en/info.html

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the info. I have yet to trip a breaker and the clip lights never come on the Crest or QSC sub amps so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

BTW, if you like foreign films these two are really amazing. Red Cliff is a John Woo film that defies belief in terms of cinematography and sound.

Both films will give the best AV system a good workout.

Red Cliff
http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1011915563-0-0-0-en/info.html
http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-2-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1014460938-0-0-0-en/info.html

The Good, the Bad, the Weird
http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-good-the-bad-the-weird-blu-ray-limited-edition-korea-version/1020587678-0-0-0-en/info.html
Thanks for the rec on the second, I've gotta look into that. For Red Cliff, while I am waiting for the "US/int" version, on preorder, I did some research previously, and IIRC, there are three versions available right now (?), and I think the UK version is supposed to be best? I'll have to double check that later.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the rec on the second, I've gotta look into that. For Red Cliff, while I am waiting for the "US/int" version, on preorder, I did some research previously, and IIRC, there are three versions available right now (?), and I think the UK version is supposed to be best? I'll have to double check that later.
I was told to get the Hong Kong version Bluray by someone who should know and I did. It has both LPCM, DD TrueHD and DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio. The sound is incredible but it is a little spendy.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I was told to get the Hong Kong version Bluray by someone who should know and I did. It has both LPCM, DD TrueHD and DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio. The sound is incredible but it is a little spendy.
May I ask who it was? Thanks. Igans316 (one of the most involved and obsessed over at AVS) has HK, UK, and Taiwan versions, and he thinks the UK is best. Of course, opinions vary. Of course, in the BD software forum, most are pro-video, and some think that by dropping a codec or two, the extra 10 GB for less video compression would be well worth it.

Overall, my impression is that most think the HK has the poorest video, whether it's a marginal difference or not.

I think, overall, for the money (because there might be very large differences in price), the UK SE version might be the best value. Could be wrong.

I will keep my preorder, I think it's 3/30 release, and will cancel days before said release if my research shows I should get a different transfer.

Red Cliff: Part I and Red Cliff: Part II comparison *PIX*

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, something else for me to learn about in home theater.

I watched a bit of Planet Earth last night, and I thought the video was pretty frickin' good! It doesn't have the depth of film maybe, but the detail is strong. Also, it might seem a little more 'racey' than a good film because of the high frames per second cameras they probably used to grab all the action sequences. Film is normally shot at like 24fps and that makes things feel a bit more liquid imo.

Sound is pretty weak, although the narration with the British guy is clean and his voice is cool.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
May I ask who it was? Thanks. Igans316 (one of the most involved and obsessed over at AVS) has HK, UK, and Taiwan versions, and he thinks the UK is best. Of course, opinions vary. Of course, in the BD software forum, most are pro-video, and some think that by dropping a codec or two, the extra 10 GB for less video compression would be well worth it.

Overall, my impression is that most think the HK has the poorest video, whether it's a marginal difference or not.

I think, overall, for the money (because there might be very large differences in price), the UK SE version might be the best value. Could be wrong.

I will keep my preorder, I think it's 3/30 release, and will cancel days before said release if my research shows I should get a different transfer.

Red Cliff: Part I and Red Cliff: Part II comparison *PIX*
We had a Red Cliff marathon this weekend watching both films (2nd time for me). That and some insomnia forced me to read most of the AVS Video quality thread. As you said, it seems most of those guys are video obsessed and have at best HTIB audio. I read more negative for the UK version than you did. It was described as overly smoothed and from the still samples, I would concur. Regardless, any visual differences were slight with all the versions. The US version is coming out (version unknown) but will you have to wait til the end of March.

I had used the DTS HD-MA 7.1 audio the first time around and it sounded great. This time, I chose the Chinese LPCM 7.1 track. The LPCM was much more dynamic. So much so that when using DTS I was @-5db=ref and with the LPCM settled in @-8 and it still sounded more dynamic. The visual beauty, incredible sound (massive bass hits and amazing surround) and sheer magnitude and choreography of the battle scenes make this a must own for HT obsessed folks like us. I have never seen its like.

Sorry for the OT Sensi but JM started it ... :p

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
From what I remember, the UK looks smoothed to me as well, but the SE doesn't. The HK version is approximately twice the price of the SE. If I had to buy a version right now without benefit of any further research, I'd get the SE.

I'm still waiting until the end of March. I am very curious what the "US" release will get. If LOTR (TE) doesn't get delayed, this could mean double digit hours of reference quality HT insanity within a week. :p

FWIW, some folks do have poor audio systems, but some have excellent stuff too. Xylon, IIRC, is using a 4 or 5x superceded Pana PJ for display. I still bee-line to his screenshots first when looking for purchasing guidance.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
We had a Red Cliff marathon this weekend watching both films (2nd time for me). That and some insomnia forced me to read most of the AVS Video quality thread. As you said, it seems most of those guys are video obsessed and have at best HTIB audio. I read more negative for the UK version than you did. It was described as overly smoothed and from the still samples, I would concur. Regardless, any visual differences were slight with all the versions. The US version is coming out (version unknown) but will you have to wait til the end of March.

I had used the DTS HD-MA 7.1 audio the first time around and it sounded great. This time, I chose the Chinese LPCM 7.1 track. The LPCM was much more dynamic. So much so that when using DTS I was @-5db=ref and with the LPCM settled in @-8 and it still sounded more dynamic. The visual beauty, incredible sound (massive bass hits and amazing surround) and sheer magnitude and choreography of the battle scenes make this a must own for HT obsessed folks like us. I have never seen its like.

Sorry for the OT Sensi but JM started it ... :p
Not off topic to me! I haven't done anything new. New girlfriend, so, the theater hasn't been touched (good thing I snuck that weekend of wire management in haha). I used to kind of not mention my audio or home theater hobby to new girls, but, well, this room is kind of hard to miss. Haha oh well.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Not off topic to me! I haven't done anything new. New girlfriend, so, the theater hasn't been touched (good thing I snuck that weekend of wire management in haha). I used to kind of not mention my audio or home theater hobby to new girls, but, well, this room is kind of hard to miss. Haha oh well.
Good to hear your getting back on the donkey.....

I just watched a few minutes of Red Cliff II (never even heard of it before you guys mentioned). Seems like a very cool movie. Excellent SQ and PQ. I watched the scene with all the arrows when the boats were in the fog.

I will have to watch the whole thing this weekend when I get the chance.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
New girlfriend is obsessed with movies in the theater, so its gotten more use than updates. She now even watches movies while I'm gone.

Watched "Funny People" last night, maybe a little long, but it was pretty good. "Up in the Air" over the weekend was also good. Both are worth a rental.

Going to change my carpet to a tan color and put some white low-profile blackouts in here.

Peace!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
New girlfriend is obsessed with movies in the theater, so its gotten more use than updates. She now even watches movies while I'm gone.

Watched "Funny People" last night, maybe a little long, but it was pretty good. "Up in the Air" over the weekend was also good. Both are worth a rental.

Going to change my carpet to a tan color and put some white low-profile blackouts in here.

Peace!
That is an excellent trait in a woman ... not the most excellent, but a good one none the less. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis