Rhythmic L12 vs Klipsch SPL 120

• Thread starter FitzwilliamDarcy
  • Start date
F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
I am adding a sub for the first time since college. I have done lots of research and found that I wanted the rhythmic over the Klipsch sub in the same price range, but I found a SPL 120 for 25% off, and wanted it know if the rhythmic L12 would still be better than the next level Klipsch, the SPL 120. Anyone know? Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Klipsch sub will have more deep bass output. It's hard to say how they would compare otherwise. Some Klipsch subs get a bad rap, but who knows how it actually performs. Neither sub would be my first choice at their respective price points.

F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
Thanks, though now I have to spend a bunch of time researching when I thought I was almost done. You would recommend it over a 12 even as a 10? Thanks again, I will check it out

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you can hike your budget up by about a hundred bucks or so, you can get a Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 or a Hsu Research VTF-2 mk5, both of which are significant steps up even from the Monolith 10" THX.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
If you can hike your budget up by about a hundred bucks or so, you can get a Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 or a Hsu Research VTF-2 mk5, both of which are significant steps up even from the Monolith 10" THX.
I've seen you recommend the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 before but there is no review for it here. Can you please elaborate on that specific sub and why it's so highly recommended? I've never really considered Outlaw subs to be noteworthy. I bought Outlaw interconnects maybe 20 years ago and those were nice but never considered them for much else. Perhaps an amp or two.

F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
Would still like everyone’s opinion about the original two in the first post, thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've seen you recommend the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 before but there is no review for it here. Can you please elaborate on that specific sub and why it's so highly recommended? I've never really considered Outlaw subs to be noteworthy. I bought Outlaw interconnects maybe 20 years ago and those were nice but never considered them for much else. Perhaps an amp or two.
The Ultra-X12 is basically evolved from the original Hsu VTF-3. Years ago, Outlaw Audio commissioned Dr. Hsu of Hsu Research to design a sub that was closely modeled after the VTF-3, which was, back then, a large ported 12". That sub was called the LFM-1. A while later, Outlaw used that design as the basis for some higher-performing units called the LFM-1 Plus and LFM-1 EX. The Ultra-X12 is the successor to the LFM-1 EX and LFM-1 Plus. It has similar performance but it's a bit more advanced. Its performance should be in the ballpark of the Hsu VTF-2 mk5, except it's a nicer-looking sub with a real satin black finish. Many other subs from Hsu, Monoprice, SVS, Rythmik, etc., have taken big price hikes, but the Outlaw hasn't, and that makes it a really good deal at the moment. I would get some before they raise prices.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I wouldn't buy a Klipsch sub, but I'd want more than a 25% discount if I bought one, and I'd rather have the SPL-150 of their two better subs (the SPL-120 being the other currently). Not sure why you're comparing a sealed Rythmik to the ported Klipsch either other than price....I'm not a particular fan of Rythmik either, tho :) Why is the budget so firm? Is a single sub the best you can do? I'd prefer multiples.....even if I had to save up for future additions to a good start.

F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
Personally I wouldn't buy a Klipsch sub, but I'd want more than a 25% discount if I bought one, and I'd rather have the SPL-150 of their two better subs (the SPL-120 being the other currently). Not sure why you're comparing a sealed Rythmik to the ported Klipsch either other than price....I'm not a particular fan of Rythmik either, tho :) Why is the budget so firm? Is a single sub the best you can do? I'd prefer multiples.....even if I had to save up for future additions to a good start.
Don’t think the SPL120 is ported

The budget is fixed because I sold some things that I wasn’t using and that was the amount I got for them. Also, one sub is probably more than the wife would prefer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don’t think the SPL120 is ported

The budget is fixed because I sold some things that I wasn’t using and that was the amount I got for them. Also, one sub is probably more than the wife would prefer.
From the product description on Klipsch's site:

"Bass-Reflex via Exclusive Front-Firing Internal Flare Port"

WAF of course is a different subject, and not one I suffer from.

F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
From the product description on Klipsch's site:

"Bass-Reflex via Exclusive Front-Firing Internal Flare Port"

WAF of course is a different subject, and not one I suffer from.
I see it in the picture now, there is an opening at the bottom that always blended in. Well, I was looking for sealed, so that kind of answers that, thanks

and benefits outweigh the suffering on the WAF

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see it in the picture now, there is an opening at the bottom that always blended in. Well, I was looking for sealed, so that kind of answers that, thanks

and benefits outweigh the suffering on the WAF
Any particularly good reason for sealed other than the generally smaller form factor?

F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
Smaller mostly, more interested in music than movies

F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
Apparently you don’t by your condescending response

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com