S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Hi Sangeet.

I have owned a lot of vintage speakers (being 'vintage' myself ;)). In my experience, they generally push the upper and lower registers of their presentation at the expense of the mid-range frequencies. The old rocker favorites such as JBL, Advent, Klipsch, and Cerwin-Vega fall into this category. No one has asked your music preference. Is it rock? This 'may' be the reason those vintage speakers are appealing to you. But I can't say.
I listen to classical rock - Dire starits, REM, Police, Boss, white lion, P{ink floyd, Phil collins......

I have decided to get a speaker this weekend. I will update on saturday

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What's the rush?

Why don't you just say you'll start auditioning speakers this weekend and take as long as it takes to listen to everything available. If you put a rush on this, you might make another hasty decision.

Heck, why not try some of the internet brands as well. Ascend, as well as others, has a good rep a fair return policy and might deserve a shot.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Why don't you just say you'll start auditioning speakers this weekend and take as long as it takes to listen to everything available. If you put a rush on this, you might make another hasty decision.

Heck, why not try some of the internet brands as well. Ascend, as well as others, has a good rep a fair return policy and might deserve a shot.
I have been shoping for speaker since last 2 months and still working on is. Since I was not sure on whether the problem is my receiver or my speaker I came to you gurus / audioholics for help. Now I at least know that my receiver is not a problem and that I need a good speaker which I "kind of" have decided because I really liked the sound of it. It's Polk RTA 11 TL. I'm getting this for $ 500/pair. Any thoughts/suggestions ??

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
All,

I'm thinking of getting Polk RTA 11 TL for $ 500/pair. Any thoughts/siggestion/advice/comments ??

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, if you've already heard them and like them, go for it. Just keep all packing material and receipts for a few weeks, just in case.

I don't know why you went through the trouble earlier of listing and asking opinions on all those other speakers you've heard/read about if you already knew wat you liked, though.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
All,

I'm thinking of getting Polk RTA 11 TL for $ 500/pair. Any thoughts/siggestion/advice/comments ??
That is an old speaker. If you like em, go for it, but speaker technology has come a pretty long way in 20+ years.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Well, if you've already heard them and like them, go for it. Just keep all packing material and receipts for a few weeks, just in case.

I don't know why you went through the trouble earlier of listing and asking opinions on all those other speakers you've heard/read about if you already knew wat you liked, though.
Mark,

Sorry for the trouble but I am just thinking of this one. I'm still not 100% sure. I looked at various options i.e. change my receiver or buy a new power amp or buy a new preamp or buy a new speakers and had in last 2 months seen all of them. But the poblem was that I was not sure on where the problem is. It my receiver or is my speaker or something else. You guys guided me and now I'm pretty sure its my speaker and so I decided to change it. I did not ask about this speaker earlier because I had forgotten the model number which I called the guy and asked him today. sorry again my friend......

R

rich p

Audiophyte
Sound Quality

Hi another AV rookie here, but I wanted to add my .02. I too am into quality sound first and the movie experience second. I am lucky in that I have space for 2 systems - a 2 channel quality audio system in my living room and a surround sound in my family room. I love my 5.1 surround sound for movies but never play cd's on it. Of course I only have Energy Take's which are not meant to reproduce music to the accuracy I want. All the advise is good - especially about the speakers, however I am surprised no one said anything about your cd player (unless I missed it). The better players have better DAC's in them and so the sound is much better. $300 will get you an excellent player from Cambridge Audio, NAD or Marantz. A cheap CD changer is not the way to go if you are looking for musical acuracy. Your receiver is fine, just overkill if you are only looking to play cd's. I have never liked JBL's but speakers are probably the most subjective item. I don't like sub's for music - just sound effects. The speakers you have really shouldn,t need them just for music anyway. I would upgrade the player, unhook the sub and play with speaker placement. Speaker shopping could be your next step if you are still not satisfied. Good luck - it is a never ending quest, but a fun one.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Hi another AV rookie here, but I wanted to add my .02. I too am into quality sound first and the movie experience second. I am lucky in that I have space for 2 systems - a 2 channel quality audio system in my living room and a surround sound in my family room. I love my 5.1 surround sound for movies but never play cd's on it. Of course I only have Energy Take's which are not meant to reproduce music to the accuracy I want. All the advise is good - especially about the speakers, however I am surprised no one said anything about your cd player (unless I missed it). The better players have better DAC's in them and so the sound is much better. $300 will get you an excellent player from Cambridge Audio, NAD or Marantz. A cheap CD changer is not the way to go if you are looking for musical acuracy. Your receiver is fine, just overkill if you are only looking to play cd's. I have never liked JBL's but speakers are probably the most subjective item. I don't like sub's for music - just sound effects. The speakers you have really shouldn,t need them just for music anyway. I would upgrade the player, unhook the sub and play with speaker placement. Speaker shopping could be your next step if you are still not satisfied. Good luck - it is a never ending quest, but a fun one.
Yes I kind of know what you are talking about because the sound quality that I felt so good about in these vintage speaker shop were all played on high end CD player but not the latest CD players. They were all about 10 year old CD players but all expensive ($ 250 Plus for just the CD player). I watch movies maybe once in a month but am crazy for music and need real clean sound. Like i explained earlier I like the sound of live instaruments that are unamplified.....like a small band playing on street side. Just the quality and cleanliness of sound is what I like and I can stand and listen to it for hours....whatever the sang maybe. That is the sound that I need from my 2 channel stereo speaker.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Simply because the DAC won't make that noticible a difference. You may want to think it does, and you may actually believe it does but, in reality, it really doesn't. It's effect is so much more subtle than you give it cedit.

Q.E.D.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I listen to classical rock - Dire starits, REM, Police, Boss, white lion, P{ink floyd, Phil collins......

I wouldn't be in such a rush, Sangeet, even tho' you've been auditioning speakers for a couple of months. You just started asking us for our opinions a couple of days ago.

I agree with posters who have little faith in the Polks being superior (for YOUR needs) than the JBLs. Why not try out a pair of Aperion speakers. They have free shipping each way if you don't like them. Other internet companies have not quite as good, but still liberal return policies. Ascend has avid followers. Salk owners are all joyful with their speakers. Even the cheaper units from EMP would likely be superior to the Polks...again, considering your musical tastes.

If you get the Polks as you stated, do what Mark suggests and keep your receipt in case you hear another speaker you like better AND can return the Polks.

Lastly, don't forget about the used market. Lots of goodies on AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

If you're stuck on the old-style rocker type speakers, here is a nice priced pair on ebay. (I have no connection with the seller...don't know anything about him.) JBL L890CH 4 Way 8" High Performance Dual Floor Standing Speakers Pair Cherry | eBay (EDIT: I notice that they only have one grill, so you would have to buy another from JBL if you use them.)

And last but definitely not least, Audioholics e-store has lots of open box (and new, of course) clearance deals. Check them out. I see they have a great price on some Martin-Logan speakers... MartinLogan Source Dark Cherry and Canton Canton Ergo 670 DC. Note that the Cantons have a coupon and are half-price. So the price you see is for a pair!

Don't be too anxious, Sangeet. It's your money...use it wisely.

Best regards.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, my favorite system for classic rock is a 30 wpc Marantz 2230 hooked to a pair of JBL L-26 Decade speakers ...all 35 or so years old. ...and a fairly generic Blu-ray player for CD's and an old Phillips 887 turntable from the early 80's with a Shure P-mount cartridge.

Nothing powerful or fancy, but it does the job quite well

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
@ tomorrow - Thanks. I will check more options.....

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
FWIW, my favorite system for classic rock is a 30 wpc Marantz 2230 hooked to a pair of JBL L-26 Decade speakers ...all 35 or so years old. ...and a fairly generic Blu-ray player for CD's and an old Phillips 887 turntable from the early 80's with a Shure P-mount cartridge.

Nothing powerful or fancy, but it does the job quite well
wow mark.....do you have these vintage system ? I'm sure they sound crisp and clear.....

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
@ tomorrow - Thanks. I will check more options.....
You bet.

I thought you also may want to look at these for a rocker at a decent price...again used and I have no association with the seller.
Klipsch RF 82 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black 1 Pair 043878016292 | eBay

These are not considered "quality" loudspeakers, but do fit the description of what you're looking for. Great, clean highs with powerful bass. Perhaps you can find a pair locally to audition............

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
All the advise is good - especially about the speakers, however I am surprised no one said anything about your cd player (unless I missed it). The better players have better DAC's in them and so the sound is much better.
Rich, I beg to differ. There's very little that one DAC does over another that would have audible consequences.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
..., however I am surprised no one said anything about your cd player (unless I missed it). The better players have better DAC's in them and so the sound is much better. ....
There is no evidence to support this claim, sorry. Many claims, yes, evidence, no.

Yes I kind of know what you are talking about because the sound quality that I felt so good about in these vintage speaker shop were all played on high end CD player but not the latest CD players. ....
Unfortunately you didn't compare less expensive CD players from the past or present on those speakers and with carefully controlled comparison to have a reliable event to know.
Assuming something from what happened is just an assumption, not knowledge and reality. ;):D

R

rich p

Audiophyte
Better Sound

I see several very very experience people disagree with me - I love the fact that all disagreed in a gentlemanly manner! I go way back and have an extensive album collection of rock, jazz, classical and even some opera so I grew up on analog sound. Maybe that is why I prefer a "warm" sound . I have had a cheap cd player on my system at first believing that "it is only 0's and 1's". I was not pleased and so moved up to a Dennon player in the late 80's and then a Marantz about 12 years ago. My crappy recordings (late 80's cd's) did not sound better, but the good one's sounded much much better. I know people with sytems with external dac's that cost as much as my cd player and they sound incredible - but then again they have better components too. Just my opinion since you can't prove better sound. I look forward to reading lot's of posts and contributing too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis