mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Did I misread? I understood him to say that he had some level of problem with all Pioneer receivers across many different speakers:

" asked all of them to play same song using a pioneers receiver (if available) using 2 channel stereo. [...] My overall conclusion was that some were ok, some good and some bad."

Though there's more than one way to read "some good", I interpreted this as "my problems continued".

If, indeed, the problem is related only to the specific Pioneer he owned; that seems reasonable (a broken AVR).

Well, now I am confused as well, not sure what he means by his nebulous words.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, now I am confused as well, not sure what he means by his nebulous words.
I think he said that that particular receiver was faulty. If so, I concur.

Any advice offered on this subject was predicated on the receiver being in functional condition. If it was, in fact, faulty, all bets are off.

For OP to hold the posters in such disdain for misdiagnosing the problem due to his lacking to provide that important piece of information shows a certain shallowness on his part.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
I think he said that that particular receiver was faulty. If so, I concur.

Any advice offered on this subject was predicated on the receiver being in functional condition. If it was, in fact, faulty, all bets are off.

For OP to hold the posters in such disdain for misdiagnosing the problem due to his lacking to provide that important piece of information shows a certain shallowness on his part.
All,

I did not say that the receiver is faulty. I said that it's the receiver. When I play movie on this receiver it worked fine. The sound is too good to be true. But when I play music it doesn't give 100%. I tested more pioneer elite receivers as bestbuy and also some onkyo for 2 channel music and same problem. On the same speakers at bestbuy I played these songs using stereo integrated / separate power amps. and bang music sound so much better. Thats the reason why I have now decided to separate my system into 7.1 for movie with pioneer receiver and 2 chaneel for music with an integrated / power amp with class A/B amplifier and a good music speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All,

I did not say that the receiver is faulty. I said that it's the receiver. When I play movie on this receiver it worked fine. The sound is too good to be true. But when I play music it doesn't give 100%. I tested more pioneer elite receivers as bestbuy and also some onkyo for 2 channel music and same problem. On the same speakers at bestbuy I played these songs using stereo integrated / separate power amps. and bang music sound so much better. Thats the reason why I have now decided to separate my system into 7.1 for movie with pioneer receiver and 2 chaneel for music with an integrated / power amp with class A/B amplifier and a good music speakers.
I've never really been a fan of Pioneer for receivers. Onkyo were OK for a long time, but maybe less so right now. Because I enjoy music, I tend toward Marantz, Harman Kardon, Cambridge Soundworks, older NAD and on a slight step up, Rotel, Anthem, Arcam, etc...

For music it just sounds like you are looking for a warmer sound. Class A/B isn't necessarily the answer to that, because A/B can really sound any way depending on the design; it will come down to listening to the gear you end up with first because you are after a particular sound.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I Because I enjoy music, I tend toward Marantz, Harman Kardon, Cambridge Soundworks, older NAD and on a slight step up, Rotel, Anthem, Arcam, etc...
FYI, Cambridge Soundworks (was based in MA) and Cambridge Audio (based in the UK) are two separate entities. Cambridge Audio is likely the manufacturer you meant as they're often mentioned in such lists, whereas CSW has gone nowhere fast since Creative Labs bought them way back when.

And FWIW, I've owned (and continue to own) some HK receivers (stereo and surround sound) as well as Onkyo, and I've never noted any drastic difference between them (aside from differences resulting from room correction). I even hooked a HK 3380 up to my Onkyo TX-SR707 as a little experiment with no particular result. Of course, YMMV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FYI, Cambridge Soundworks (was based in MA) and Cambridge Audio (based in the UK) are two separate entities. Cambridge Audio is likely the manufacturer you meant as they're often mentioned in such lists, whereas CSW has gone nowhere fast since Creative Labs bought them way back when.
Sorry, typo. Meant Cambridge Audio :( I am very familiar with CSW. I had a friend who managed one of their stores here. They were bought by Creative Labs because they were basically going out of business.

And FWIW, I've owned (and continue to own) some HK receivers (stereo and surround sound) as well as Onkyo, and I've never noted any drastic difference between them (aside from differences resulting from room correction). I even hooked a HK 3380 up to my Onkyo TX-SR707 as a little experiment with no particular result. Of course, YMMV.
The differences are there, but they are small, and that's why I mentioned that class A/B isn't the answer. Not so much with the stereo receivers, because people generally connect them via analog. When using digital, the receiver is doing everything and there is a definite difference between them that is not just the DACs, but everything in the chain within the receiver itself, that imparts a slight coloration to the sound IMO. I can hear this in my system - My Marantz has a definite sound and I always enjoyed it, but I prefer the sound of my Oppo via analog, and the difference is easily audible.

Over the years, I've listened to a LOT of receivers and amps and I also can't say there are huge differences between them either, but in some cases, there are definitely small ones that are audible. Enough to change the sound significantly in a given application? Not enough to make a night and day difference IMO. For the stereo receivers, I'd say most would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Onkyos and H/Ks.

In this case, the OP is interested in a particular sound (tubes and vinyl :D ) so a little experimentation will likely turn up some very specific traits that he is after, though I personally don't feel that is the right way to go about it :)

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sorry, typo. Meant Cambridge Audio :( I am very familiar with CSW. I had a friend who managed one of their stores here. They were bought by Creative Labs because they were basically going out of business.
No biggie. The demise of CSW is a little more personal for me since they were my start in this hobby. I probably owned half a dozen different models at various points. While I've moved on, it's a little depressing to look at their current offerings versus what they were making ten years ago.

The differences are there, but they are small, and that's why I mentioned that class A/B isn't the answer...In this case, the OP is interested in a particular sound (tubes and vinyl :D ) so a little experimentation will likely turn up some very specific traits that he is after, though I personally don't feel that is the right way to go about it :)
No arguments from me (for a change)!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thats the reason why I have now decided to separate my system into 7.1 for movie with pioneer receiver and 2 chaneel for music with an integrated / power amp with class A/B amplifier and a good music speakers.
The problem with your Pioneer system is likely not the class D amplifier. It's the power supply feeding it. I bet you'd be surprised how the exact same module, utilized more typically (IE Wyred 4 Sound) sounds.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
In this case, the OP is interested in a particular sound (tubes and vinyl :D ) so a little experimentation will likely turn up some very specific traits that he is after, though I personally don't feel that is the right way to go about it :)
I have already explained in my earlier posts (pasted below in red) on what i'm looking for......

Have you every heard to a road side or a band playing on street ? They play live with no amplifiers except the singer with a mic and a big speaker. All other instrument you can hear live i.e. direct from the source. That is the sound I like. But the sound I get from my system is so much artificial with HIgh highs and boom from subs

If you think this is "tubes and vinyl" so be it and thats what i want...........

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have already explained in my earlier posts (pasted below in red) on what i'm looking for......

Have you every heard to a road side or a band playing on street ? They play live with no amplifiers except the singer with a mic and a big speaker. All other instrument you can hear live i.e. direct from the source. That is the sound I like. But the sound I get from my system is so much artificial with HIgh highs and boom from subs

If you think this is "tubes and vinyl" so be it and thats what i want...........
Here's the thing: you can get that kind of sound without spending a ton of money IMO, but based on what you've described and what you've listened to, you are not against throwing money at the problem. A good budget should get you there easily, and I completely understand what you are after. Music is more demanding than most movies, and what I meant was, you DO know the sound you are listening for. Whether that sound is "accurate", and I use that loosely, or just your personal preference, you will basically have to listen to a variety of gear to find the sound you are looking for. It took me a few years to find the speakers I have now and I've had them for a long time since I found them. Tubes and vinyl may very well be the sort of warm, pleasant sound you are after. I've heard some amazing systems built on electrostatics with tube amps, but not everyone has the budget to do those.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP,

You may want to just consider a high quality 7.1 receiver, something like a Sony 5800ES. Here's why: sound-field selection will get you the sound you are seeking from movies or music. This makes two systems in the same space unnecessary. With my Sony TA-E9000ES I can select a two channel surround mode which opens the sub output and directs low frequency signals to that channel rather than to the front left and right channels. For music this sound-field seems to get it just right. At any rate, there are a gazillion sound-fields and the possibilities seem limitless. The surprise is that so much quality/benefit can be purchased for such relatively small price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis