GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
OK will check out these but just to let you know, I have a Bowers & Wilkins DM320 bookself but not happy with these.
This is the Listening window response of the DM303:

Not a speaker I would personally want. I imagine the DM320 aren't much better. Compare to, for example the Revel F12:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OK will check out these but just to let you know, I have a Bowers & Wilkins DM320 bookself but not happy with these.
Around these parts we don't have very high opinion re: B&W products, especially their budget offerings... Some people love HiEnd stuff, some don't
In any case I wont recommend them at your budget level... Ascends have 30 days trail, but shipping you'd need to pay both ways.

Aperion Verus Forte is another solid option with free trial and shipping both way

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
OK. so I will note get them. I have few more speakers that I am looking at and will send you the list

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ascent CMB170

Energy RC-10

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think I know what you are saying about the sound of your system not measuring up to the sound from the vintage system. The first time I heard JBL L100's I thought my speakers really sucked. It was their detail that just floored me. That detail was made possible from a very efficient ported design, 3 way construction, and excellent crossover. At the time I could not afford L100's but later I snagged some L100t3's which sound really good. They're about 25 years old now but I have no interest in replacing them. Thing is my speaker don't sound better than today's quality speakers but they do sound better than today's economy speakers. I think that is what you are realizing.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Here are some of the speakers that i'm looking at

HALES Revelation 3
Acoustic research AR 90
NHT 2.3 A
Snell Type C/V

Please advice. For sure I will llisten to them before I buy but just wanted your openion

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
I think I know what you are saying about the sound of your system not measuring up to the sound from the vintage system. The first time I heard JBL L100's I thought my speakers really sucked. It was their detail that just floored me. That detail was made possible from a very efficient ported design, 3 way construction, and excellent crossover. At the time I could not afford L100's but later I snagged some L100t3's which sound really good. They're about 25 years old now but I have no interest in replacing them. Thing is my speaker don't sound better than today's quality speakers but they do sound better than today's economy speakers. I think that is what you are realizing.
I think you are there but not really. Let me explain in simple world. Have you every heard to a road side or a band playing on street ? Theyn play really live with not amplifiers except the singer with a mic and a big speaker. All other instrument you can hear live i.e. direct from the source. That is the sound I like. But the sound I get from my system is so much artificial with HIgh highs and boom from subs. I have worked on addjusting the sound via my receiver thousands of time but not happly. But all the systems that I heard on these high end vintage speakers very very close to that live sound that i'm talking about.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
A tad bit out of your budget, but I'd consider the Soundfield Audio Monitor 1s. You can try them out in your room with the "demo pair" as long as you're willing to pay forward-shipping to the next demo person...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
BZZZZZT!! Wrong answer!

OK. so I will note get them. I have few more speakers that I am looking at and will send you the list
A lot of people like these. You might be one of them

Don't take anyone else's word for what you like or don't like. Try them before dismissing them. Likewise, graphs don't tell what a speaker will sound like in your home, just their test environment.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think you are there but not really. Let me explain in simple world. Have you every heard to a road side or a band playing on street ? Theyn play really live with not amplifiers except the singer with a mic and a big speaker. All other instrument you can hear live i.e. direct from the source. That is the sound I like. But the sound I get from my system is so much artificial with HIgh highs and boom from subs. I have worked on addjusting the sound via my receiver thousands of time but not happly. But all the systems that I heard on these high end vintage speakers very very close to that live sound that i'm talking about.
You can work day and night on the JBL speakers - however,
their lower end consumer market speakers >> are not really
musical - also your room is not large and your speakers are
bigger than I would put in that room.

Also the Snell C/V speakers that you are looking at - has a
tweeter that was sourced form JBL - and the Snell people
voiced the tweeter to roll-off above 10 khz > plus they have
a lower end bass bump > I would look at a good bookshelf
speaker for your room.

Also, make final decisions on auditions, you are the one that
needs to be satisified. Measurements are only part of the story
and their is no guarantee, that the sound will float your boat.
Their can be some decent measured speakers, that do end up
with not so great resolution.

Last edited:
S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
I forgot to mention one think specially for people who think that the power is not sufficient for the speaker. I'm running this 9.1 receiver on a 7.1 mode with bim amplifier mode for the fromt speaker so actually the from 2 speakers are getting 140X2=280 watts each

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know from where you get that 9.1 channel stuff.

According this this Pioneer SC 35 Manual, this is a 7.1 channel receiver, but with 140 "real world" watts per channel (in two channel mode) you certainly have sufficient power for dang near any speaker you choose.

Perhaps I missed something, though.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
According this this Pioneer SC 35 Manual, this is a 7.1 channel receiver, but with 140 "real world" watts per channel (in two channel mode) you certainly have sufficient power for dang near any speaker you choose.

Perhaps I missed something, though.
Mark,

You are right. My bad. I meant I'm using 5.1 with Biamp on front 2 channels. Sorry about that. You guys are great man.....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot to mention one think specially for people who think that the power is not sufficient for the speaker. I'm running this 9.1 receiver on a 7.1 mode with bim amplifier mode for the fromt speaker so actually the from 2 speakers are getting 140X2=280 watts each
Bi-amp from the same receiver, is no magic for watts or sound.

You have plenty of power, more than enough for that room.
Receivers and different amps, can not transform/transfigure
overall lack of quality in certain speakers > Also I fired the
different receiver set-up tools a while back - Audyessy, YPAO,
MCACC and SNAPEQ. I will mess with some EQ below 200 hz
if needed - however, that is about it. Room placement and
speaker position is still a key thing, for set-up.

Last edited:
S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
all,

I tried different option on speaker placement and receiver setting last evening and also moved the system to my game room but same problem

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
all,

I tried different option on speaker placement and receiver setting last evening and also moved the system to my game room but same problem
Then you need to try new speakers; especially ones without any broad rises in frequency response on-axis. I can tell from your posts that you have a good ear for sound and next is to audition well-measuring speakers and compare your notes.

Also for your receiver I would try to stick to something that stays near or above 6ohm below 1khz.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Then you need to try new speakers; especially ones without any broad rises in frequency response on-axis. I can tell from your posts that you have a good ear for sound and next is to audition well-measuring speakers and compare your notes.

Also for your receiver I would try to stick to something that stays near or above 6ohm below 1khz.
Thanks. Can you please elaborate on "without any broad rises in frequency response on-axis"........ Any suggestion/advice ?

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
all,

I have decidedto increase my budget from $ 1000 to $ 2000 as I think I will not get a good pair of floor standing at $ 1000.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
$1000 will get you a pair of NHT Absolute Towers. Hell, $750 will get you a pair of Ascend CMT-340s with stands.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Sangeet.

I have owned a lot of vintage speakers (being 'vintage' myself ;)). In my experience, they generally push the upper and lower registers of their presentation at the expense of the mid-range frequencies. The old rocker favorites such as JBL, Advent, Klipsch, and Cerwin-Vega fall into this category. No one has asked your music preference. Is it rock? This 'may' be the reason those vintage speakers are appealing to you. But I can't say.

Also, I wouldn't trust manufacturer frequency graphs too much. A lot of speakers I've seen independently measured don't actually meet their stated frequency response specs very well.

So what to do? I agree with other posters here that you should audition audition audition. That's a lot of dough you want to plunk down on a nice pair of speakers. Do your footwork and make sure you have given yourself the best shot at the sound you prefer. If you can audition them with your gear in your room all the better! Your ears are your best experts.

Much good luck in your search. (And yeah, ditch that old Polk sub.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis