Q Acoustics 3020 speakers -- My Insight

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice work Zieg. They look like they came from the factory like that.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent write-up Ziegl. Just wished you could compare the QA Concept 20's to both the Focal Aria 905's and/or the Canton GLS 2's. Now that would be a great shoot-out! Before I bought my Wharfies, I was very close to pulling the trigger on both the QA 20's and/or the Focal Aria 905's. Furthermore, I would love to see just how the JBL 530's would compare to these as well. Should have never sold me set of 530's. The dumbest thing that I have ever done in this hobby. But, they did go to a good home. :):):)
While I would like to do it -- I can only compare if someone sends demo's. :)

The Canton will not be for everyone, as the aluminum woofer is not shy, however not offensive or bright -- they still sound to me like they would measure overall really nice.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Excellent write-up Ziegl. Just wished you could compare the QA Concept 20's to both the Focal Aria 905's and/or the Canton GLS 2's. Now that would be a great shoot-out! Before I bought my Wharfies, I was very close to pulling the trigger on both the QA 20's and/or the Focal Aria 905's. Furthermore, I would love to see just how the JBL 530's would compare to these as well. Should have never sold me set of 530's. The dumbest thing that I have ever done in this hobby. But, they did go to a good home. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
The Focals that I have heard were all outstanding speakers!

But, I've really only heard the high end to mid-high end Focals.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

The Canton will not be for everyone, as the aluminum woofer is not shy, however not offensive or bright -- they still sound to me like they would measure overall really nice.
So--Are you still planning on sending me those puppies?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Nice work Zieg. They look like they came from the factory like that.
It took a lot of work and fuss to please my silver ears -- cannot comment about those with golden ears. It is a good thing that the cabinets have metal inserts for the screws, or they would be stripped by now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is probably too late, but it would be great if you sent one stock and one with your mods to Dennis.
That way he could know what the stock measurements are and you would better know exactly what your mods did!

Dennis,
I remember you said that you would not post the measurements. Not sure what the concern is, but can Z post them (I assume you will share with him); and Z, would you?

Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It is probably too late, but it would be great if you sent one stock and one with your mods to Dennis.
That way he could know what the stock measurements are and you would better know exactly what your mods did!
I am half wore out from the somewhat changes I made to put one back in original form, plus the original batten has been cut up some -- I did one final tweak, I pulled the bottom block out, and put one strip of the former poly-batten on the bottom. The bass now sounds somewhat better to my ears. No head and shoulders difference on my cabinet tweak. However, Mr Placebo seems to feel a little different but I stopped reading his memos!:)

Even in original form, the speakers are a winner to me -- they have grown on me

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Right now, I am dealing with some unforeseen issues that have impacted my finances. That being said, once I get caught up I may see what I can do to help in this regard. Even had to put on hold my plan to buy a set of the new Wharfedale Diamond 11.1's. Not too happy about that, but it is what it is. Very interested in the Aria 905's as well.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Focals that I have heard were all outstanding speakers!

But, I've really only heard the high end to mid-high end Focals.
The Focals are on my to-do list. Hope to hear a set in the very near future. The Aria 905's have my attention as we speak. Just no funds to pony them up.....LOL!!!! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am half wore out from the somewhat changes I made to put one back in original form, plus the original batten has been cut up some -- I did one final tweak, I pulled the bottom block out, and put one strip of the former poly-batten on the bottom. The bass now sounds somewhat better to my ears. No head and shoulders difference on my cabinet tweak. However, Mr Placebo seems to feel a little different but I stopped reading his memos!:)

Even in original form, the speakers are a winner to me -- they have grown on me

You should have measured the response before and after. That is the only way to tell for sure. Do you have another unaltered unit, or did you modify both?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You should have measured the response before and after. That is the only way to tell for sure. Do you have another unaltered unit, or did you modify both?
If you were around Knoxville TN, then you could have measured them.:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Right now, I am dealing with some unforeseen issues that have impacted my finances. That being said, once I get caught up I may see what I can do to help in this regard. Even had to put on hold my plan to buy a set of the new Wharfedale Diamond 11.1's. Not too happy about that, but it is what it is. Very interested in the Aria 905's as well.
Understood -- stay focused -- and hope things work out for you

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I turned and did almost a full reverse --I pulled the stuffing/lining out, and the felt padding on the top panel -- however, I left the felt padding blocks at the back of the side panels -- I bought some 1" polyester bonded batting from Amazon to mimic the original stock lining. The Amazon batting is not quite as firm as the original, however still close. I pretty much lined it as it was in the beginning, which means there is a gap at the top panel left of the port, and between the crossover and port.

The more I listen to these speakers, the more I am liking them -- next week I will get a round trip shipping quote to find out how much it would cost to ship to Dennis for measurements.

Slide show -- if my pictures disappear
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=24571;start=168430

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Well, I turned and did almost a full reverse --I pulled the stuffing/lining out, and the felt padding on the top panel -- however, I left the felt padding blocks at the back of the side panels -- I bought some 1" polyester bonded batting from Amazon to mimic the original stock lining. The Amazon batting is not quite as firm as the original, however still close. I pretty much lined it as it was in the beginning, which means there is a gap at the top panel left of the port, and between the crossover and port.

The more I listen to these speakers, the more I am liking them -- next week I will get a round trip shipping quote to find out how much it would cost to ship to Dennis for measurements.

Slide show -- if my pictures disappear
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=24571;start=168430

I'll share the shipping and arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. I'm always interested to see how other designers tackle issues like BSC, crossover points, and off-axis vs. on-axis response.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'll share the shipping and arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. I'm always interested to see how other designers tackle issues like BSC, crossover points, and off-axis vs. on-axis response.
OK -- I will send you an Email

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I bought a pair of Canton Chrono 502.2 speakers.
There is a big gap in my stable of speakers between the Philharmonic AAs or the energy RC10s being in the $200 price range (although the RC10s are no longer available) and the RBH 61-lse or Paradigm Signature S-2 on the high side.
Right now I have lost Internet service from hurricane Irma so cannot post any photos, but I did take them apart and take pics.
The thicknesses I got for the cabinet must be metric, because they did not fit "normal" dimensions. The front baffle measured very close to 7/8 of an inch and the top and bottom panels and side panels measured very close to 5/8 of an inch.
The interior stuffing looks to be about the same as for the GLS2.
Interestingly, the cabinets for the Chrono do not have metal inserts in them!
The panel thicknesses leaves us in a bit of a quandary for the extra weight comes from!
Aside from the decorative trim plates on both of the drivers, the most apparent difference is the crossover. It is definitely a different crossover and I look forward to hearing comments when I post the photos!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis