Q Acoustics 3020 speakers -- My Insight

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, I gotta ask!
The Energy C-2's bested the Canton GLS-2; however, I see you still have the GLS-2 in your signature!
What gives?
While the Energy were and are better speakers, there is just something about the Cantons that are more captivating. Plus I sold the Energy for a nice profit. My goal is the Canton Vento or the RBH Impression Elite speakers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My goal is the Canton Vento or the RBH Impression Elite speakers.
I too have been looking very closely at the new RBH Impression Series. However, not finding much in the way of reviews. Have you seen anything that has some measurements? Very curious about them myself. Figured if anyone would know of any reviews that would have to be you Ziegl.:)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I too have been looking very closely at the new RBH Impression Series. However, not finding much in the way of reviews. Have you seen anything that has some measurements? Very curious about them myself. Figured if anyone would know of any reviews that would have to be you Ziegl.:)
I have found nothing yet -- still in the early stages

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My goal is the Canton Vento or the RBH Impression Elite speakers.
If you get the Vento, don't get the Vento Reference 9 DC!
From my research when I bought the Vento 820.2, the 9 DC uses the older Aluminium-Manganese tweeter design while the 820.2 uses a ceramic tweeter like their current TOTL Karat series uses:
https://www.canton.us/hifi/karat/

For its price, the 9 DC probably has better midrange and or bass, but the ceramic tweeter in the 820.2 is wonderful and the mids and bass sound fine to me (but I'm not A-B'ing directly against 9 DC either!)

One thing I noticed about the Canton speakers is they are somewhat more compact than I am used to. For example, the Canton GLE 496.2 with Dual 8" woofers and 7" mid is actually a smaller box (in all three dimensions!) than the Boston Acoustics A360 with dual 6.5" woofers and 3"(?) mid!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
From my research when I bought the Vento 820.2, the 9 DC uses the older Aluminium-Manganese tweeter design while the 820.2 uses a ceramic tweeter like their current TOTL Karat series uses:

One thing I noticed about the Canton speakers is they are somewhat more compact than I am used to. For example, the Canton GLE 496.2 with Dual 8" woofers and 7" mid is actually a smaller box (in all three dimensions!) than the Boston Acoustics A360 with dual 6.5" woofers and 3"(?) mid!
It will be a while for Canton or RBH

The Boston has a 3-1/2" mid -- a somewhat mystery why Boston has that wider front baffle and bigger box, I guess the woofers needed more box volume for their target bass response.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

For its price, the 9 DC probably has better midrange and or bass, but the ceramic tweeter in the 820.2 is wonderful and the mids and bass sound fine to me (but I'm not A-B'ing directly against 9 DC either!)

Your last paragraph made me chuckle because the first thing I muttered when I unboxed the 496.2s was "they really looked bigger in the pictures." :p

I wonder if the drivers are the same across some of their lines but the price differentiation comes from the cabinets.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Your last paragraph made me chuckle because the first thing I muttered when I unboxed the 496.2s was "they really looked bigger in the pictures." :p

I wonder if the drivers are the same across some of their lines but the price differentiation comes from the cabinets.
Zieglj01 found out from A4L that the GLS and Chrono had the same drivers. The cabinet and crossover were different. Now that the GLS has been eliminated, and since the GLE went from soft to aluminum tweeter with your version of the speaker, you probably have the same tweeters as the GLS/Chrono. I don't know about the woofers

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Zieglj01 found out from A4L that the GLS and Chrono had the same drivers. The cabinet and crossover were different. Now that the GLS has been eliminated, and since the GLE went from soft to aluminum tweeter with your version of the speaker, you probably have the same tweeters as the GLS/Chrono. I don't know about the woofers
I pulled the drivers out last week to get a look-see (a bad habit but I do it to all my speakers) and got a part number, but there was nothing at all I could find online.

One interesting thing I've not seen before is that Canton solders the wires to its drivers instead of using slide on tabs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I pulled the drivers out last week to get a look-see (a bad habit but I do it to all my speakers) and got a part number, but there was nothing at all I could find online.

One interesting thing I've not seen before is that Canton solders the wires to its drivers instead of using slide on tabs.
From my Chrono 502.2:

Go to post #161 of this thread to catch info and more pictures!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

In the thread on the Canton Vento 820.2 you were going to compare them to the SVS Ultras. Did you ever compare them?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In the thread on the Canton Vento 820.2 you were going to compare them to the SVS Ultras. Did you ever compare them?
Sorry, no. I may have mentioned that as the comparison I would most like to make. Unfortunately, I do not have Ultras around to compare.

Edit:
Okay, I went back to double check what I had said, and I think you must be referring to post #7:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/canton-vento-820-2-2-way-6in-bookshelf-speaker.109838/#post-1224852
The take away from this is the Canton Vento 820.2 are excellent speakers. I wish I had the SVS Ultras available to compare directly, but based how I remember the Ultras comparing against the RBH and the Focals, I feel that the Cantons are at least equal to the Ultra bookshelf speakers! I think the Canton is a little more neutral, so you might prefer the Ultra if you like a forward speaker, but we are talking subtleties as both are pretty neutral!
I did mention comparing them to my Paradigm Signature S-2, which I have not done! Since there is interest on this speaker, and I can spare the time (and am curious myself),I will set that up.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, no. I may have mentioned that as the comparison I would most like to make. Unfortunately, I do not have Ultras around to compare.
But, you do know the Ultras very well. Even a comparison like that could be somewhat useful. Even if it only offers minor insights. I am certain your memory is not that far gone--yet......LOL!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Phil

B

BeatleFred

Audiophyte
Ive read great reviews on the 3050, however, they appear to be much larger than the 3020's. Perhaps if you auditioned those instead, and was within your $ budget, you might be able to obtain the better performance you're looking for that might be lacking in the 20's in comparison.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ive read great reviews on the 3050, however, they appear to be much larger than the 3020's. Perhaps if you auditioned those instead, and was within your $ budget, you might be able to obtain the better performance you're looking for that might be lacking in the 20's in comparison.
Oh I’m keeping the 3020s in my bedroom setup. (And 3090 center). They perform great especially after adding a sub. Although they may migrate to the living room at some point later. I’m actually shopping for my theater room / man cave. I want a different speaker in there for variety.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No prob. Just curious.
I edited post #191 and should complete a quick comparison with Paradigm Sig. S-2 fairly soon.
Comparison is here.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ceramic-tweeter-canton-vento-820-2-vs-paradigm-s2.111701/
I started a new thread because of how good I believe the ceramic tweeter is!
I also noted that the Chrono SLS models (tower models only on A4L) have ceramic tweeters! I don't know if they are the same as the Vento uses.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis