Q Acoustics 3020 speakers -- My Insight

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I tested the QA 2020i and while I like them, they were not competitive enough for my preference. However with the current views and hype on the 3020, I decided to take them for a shake-down test. I bought them at the current sale price of $260.99 a pair.

I ordered the walnut finish, it does look nice, however not high-end looking. However, the overall looks of the speaker is nice compared to most of the average budget-friendly looking speakers. The cabinet is good and above average compared to the competing price points -- however the cabinet is not over-all as solid as the QA 2020i and there is one cross-brace in it -- and it is also shorter in depth and a little lighter. Regardless of what QA says, costs came into this decision. There is a new tweeter in the 3020 with a ring radiator around it, and they seem to have blended some type of kevlar mix into the woofer, but on the outside the 3020 woofer tends to look much like the 2020i one. Not real easy to look at the crossover, however it seems to have 3 coils, 3 resistors, and 2 caps (1 cap being poly). The coils also seem to look budget friendly to me. There is some poly-batten inside, however it seems to be less than the 2020i

Some songs that were played,

Joan Osborne -- War
Joan Osborne -- How Sweet It Is
Joan Osborne -- Why Can't We Live Together

Dave Brubeck -- Take Five

Willie Nelson with Nora Jones -- Hit The Road Jack
Willie Nelson with Nora Jones -- You Are My Sunshine

Sade -- No Ordinary Love
Sade -- Kiss of Life

Chris Botti with Sy Smith -- The Look of Love
Chris Botti with Lucia Micarelli -- Emmanuel

Yo Yo Ma -- The Mission

Vickie Yohe -- Reveal Your Glory

Movie -- Passengers

The overall star of the 3020 speaker is the tweeter, it is really nice for the price. The woofer is a good one. In the QA 2020i the woofer was better than the tweeter. Their seems to be a good transition between the woofer and tweeter and one does not over-take the other. There is some bass but not a lot. However what bass you do get is not timid or shy.

With Take Five it is a good test to see if the speakers are really forward sounding and bright. The 3020 is not really forward or bright, they are also not warm, or so called lush or sweet sounding. They are more on the neutral side and somewhat realistic and robust sounding. The stage is still a little upfront, but not offensive. It does not take a lot of power to drive them, they were not voiced with low sensitivity to enhance more bass.

Joan Osborne and Nora Jones tend to have a raspy type voice, and there voices came across nice -- the sign of a good clean tweeter and woofer. There was no harsh or edginess with Sy Smith's voice or Chris Botti's trumpet. Drums have authority and cymbals sound realistic and not artificial. The speakers pick up good detail and you can hear some delicate notes. However, they still lack some inner detail and nuances -- as they do not have the higher resolution of some of the higher-end speakers.

Lucia Micarelli's violin sounded good with no harsh or edginess and with good detail. However, I am still missing some of the vibration with string instruments. Piano is rich and detailed. Sade who also seems to have some type of a raspy voice came across good and smooth. Yo Yo Ma on the cello was rich and nice and pleasant to listen to.

Soundstage and imaging on the 3020 is one of the best for the price -- and it is wide. There is some depth, but still lacking some depth. The central image is better than the 2020i. The sound of the 3020 is voiced to be open, spacious, and wide -- and off-axis seems to be really good. There is some nice air with these speakers. The sound is coherent but I would like it to be more cohesive.

Now as far as the bass it is decent and it has some growl with the notes it can hit and is tight in that area -- however, it feels like the woofer is looking for more air -- like the woofer is a little too big for the box. In a taller and deeper box there would be some lower notes and depth.

With movies and TV, they are rich smooth and detail sounding with some good dynamics -- and will give an overall nice experience. The speakers will hold up in a medium size room as they are not timid.

Compared to the 2020i, the QA 3020 is more realistic and natural sounding, where as the 2020i is more artificial sounding. Compared to the likes of the Definitive SM55, HTD Level Three, the former Cambridge S30, the current Sony Core; the QA 3020 is a step above for me. I also prefer them over the former Martin Logan ATF Encore speakers. I will also take the QA 3020 over the former PSB Image series that I use to own, as well as the likes of Infinity Beta, Polk RTi, and NHT Classic Two. However the JBL Studio 530 is still above the QA 3020.

Overall I still tend to prefer the Digital Phase as far as bass, and higher resolution. However, before I set up the QA 3020 I put out some feelers on Craiglist to sell the Digital Phase, and today someone wants to buy the Digital Phase. Well, I still have the Snell K7 with the Seas drivers, and they are still my favorite in house speakers.
So it looks like the QA 3020 with be going on my owner's list. Are they Great - no. However, they are really good for the price and I would be surprised if they did not overall measure around +/- 2 db from 200 to 10 khz -- there is nothing that really jumps out and annoys me.

Now on a scale of $1 to $300, I rate them 8.5 on a level of 1 to 10

Here are some slide-view pictures for those who are interested -- also a couple next to the Digital Phase
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...7;start=167078

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Now on a scale of $1 to $300, I rate them 8.5
Seems like you really liked them, so I’m surprised that you only gave them a $8.50 rating.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I tested the QA 2020i and while I like them, they were not competitive enough for my preference. However with the current views and hype on the 3020, I decided to take them for shake-down test. I bought them at the current sale price of $260.99 a pair.

I ordered the walnut finish, it does look nice, however not high-end looking. However, the overall looks of the speaker is nice compared to most of the average budget-friendly looking speakers. The cabinet is good and above average compared to the competing price points -- however the cabinet is not over-all as solid as the QA 2020i and there is one cross-brace in it -- and it is also shorter in depth and a little lighter. Regardless of what QA says, costs came into this decision. There is a new tweeter in the 3020 with a ring radiator around it, and they seem to have blended some type of kevlar mix into the woofer, but on the outside the 3020 woofer tends to look much like the 2020i one. Not real easy to look at the crossover, however it seems to have 3 coils, 3 resistors, and 2 caps (1 cap being poly). The coils also seem to look budget friendly to me. There is some poly-batten inside, however it seems to be less than the 2020i

Some songs that were played,

Joan Osborne -- War
Joan Osborne -- How Sweet It Is
Joan Osborne -- Why Can't We Live Together

Dave Brubeck -- Take Five

Willie Nelson with Nora Jones -- Hit The Road Jack
Willie Nelson with Nora Jones -- You Are My Sunshine

Sade -- No Ordinary Love
Sade -- Kiss of Life

Chris Botti with Sy Smith -- The Look of Love
Chris Botti with Lucia Micarelli -- Emmanuel

Yo Yo Ma -- The Mission

Vickie Yohe -- Reveal Your Glory

Movie -- Passengers

The overall star of the 3020 speaker is the tweeter, it is really nice for the price. The woofer is a good one. In the QA 2020i the woofer was better than the tweeter. Their seems to be a good transition between the woofer and tweeter and one does not over-take the other. There is some bass but not a lot. However what bass you do get is not timid or shy.

With Take Five it is a good test to see if the speakers are really forward sounding and bright. The 3020 is not really forward or bright, they are also not warm, or so called lush or sweet sounding. They are more on the neutral side and somewhat realistic and robust sounding. The stage is still a little upfront, but not offensive. It does not take a lot of power to drive them, they were not voiced with low sensitivity to enhance more bass.

Joan Osborne and Nora Jones tend to have a raspy type voice, and there voices came across nice -- the sign of a good clean tweeter and woofer. There was no harsh or edginess with Sy Smith's voice or Chris Botti's trumpet. Drums have authority and cymbals sound realistic and not artificial. The speakers pick up good detail and you can hear some delicate notes. However, they still lack some inner detail and nuances -- as they do not have the higher resolution of some of the higher-end speakers.

Lucia Micarelli's violin sounded good with no harsh or edginess and with good detail. However, I am still missing some of the vibration with string instruments. Piano is rich and detailed. Sade who also seems to have some type of a raspy voice came across good and smooth. Yo Yo Ma on the cello was rich and nice and pleasant to listen to.

Soundstage and imaging on the 3020 is one of the best for the price -- and it is wide. There is some depth, but still lacking some depth. The central image is better than the 2020i. The sound of the 3020 is voiced to be open, spacious, and wide -- and off-axis seems to be really good. There is some nice air with these speakers. The sound is coherent but I would like it to be more cohesive.

Now as far as the bass it is decent and it has some growl with the notes it can hit and is tight in that area -- however, it feels like the woofer is looking for more air -- like the woofer is a little too big for the box. In a taller and deeper box there would be some lower notes and depth.

With movies and TV, they are rich smooth and detail sounding with some good dynamics -- and will give an overall nice experience. The speakers will hold up in a medium size room as they are not timid.

Compared to the 2020i, the QA 3020 is more realistic and natural sounding, where as the 2020i is more artificial sounding. Compared to the likes of the Definitive SM55, HTD Level Three, the former Cambridge S30, the current Sony Core; the QA 3020 is a step above for me. I also prefer them over the former Martin Logan ATF Encore speakers. I will also take the QA 3020 over the former PSB Image series that I use to own, as well as the likes of Infinity Beta, Polk RTi, and NHT Classic Two. However the JBL Studio 530 is still above the QA 3020.

Overall I still tend to prefer the Digital Phase as far as bass, and higher resolution. However, before I set up the QA 3020 I put out some feelers on Craiglist to sell the Digital Phase, and today someone wants to buy the Digital Phase. Well, I still have the Snell K7 with the Seas drivers, and they are still my favorite in house speakers.
So it looks like the QA 3020 with be going on my owner's list. Are they Great - no. However, they are really good for the price and I would be surprised if they did not overall measure around +/- 2 db from 200 to 10 khz -- there is nothing that really jumps out and annoys me.

Now on a scale of $1 to $300, I rate them 8.5

Here are some slide-view pictures for those who are interested -- also a couple next to the Digital Phase
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...7;start=167078
Excellent write-up Ziegl. Sounds like the 3020's are very good for the money. However, putting the mid driver in a larger cabinet may add more low end per se, but may also result in the mid driver reaching Xmax way too soon. If I remember correctly, Steve Reichert claimed over @AVS that the QA drivers are all done in-house. Who really knows the excursion capabilities/limits of the mid driver. Thanks for the write-up! Very insightful. :):):)

PS I also like the Walnut finish!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, Botti is one heck of a trumpet player. I used to play the trumpet in school. However, in middle school I decided to play the baritone. Even marched baritone. But, I can still play the trumpet when need be. Even been known to slap the sticks every now and then. I guess many of us was in the band when in school.

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
However, putting the mid driver in a larger cabinet may add more low end per se, but may also result in the mid driver reaching Xmax way too soon. If I remember correctly, Steve Reichert claimed over @AVS that the QA drivers are all done in-house. Who really knows the excursion capabilities/limits of the mid driver. Thanks for the write-up! Very insightful. :):):) Phil
Those are good woofers and they will not easily burp -- they have a coil for roll-off -- that design seems to be based on cost and eye appearance. Plus, to sell a subwoofer. However for the bass that they can do, there is an overall nice balance. They chose their compromises well.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, Botti is one heck of a trumpet player. I used to play the trumpet in school. However, in middle school I decided to play the baritone. Even marched baritone. But, I can still play the trumpet when need be. Even been known to slap the sticks every now and then. I guess many of us was in the band when in school.
Trumpet, Saxophone, Cello, Violin, all sound nice and clean -- no real nasal, sharpness, edgy sound. No real congested or nasal voices.

The drivers are overall smooth -- however, they will not cover-up poor recordings.

They seem to have put some thought in the crossover -- not your typical British cap and coil that you would find on some them lower price speaker models.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Trumpet, Saxophone, Cello, Violin, all sound nice and clean -- no real nasal, sharpness, edgy sound. No real congested or nasal voices.

The drivers are overall smooth -- however, they will not cover-up poor recordings.

They seem to have put some thought in the crossover -- not your typical British cap and coil that you would find on some them lower price speaker models.
Do you suspect that the Concept 20's would bring it all to another level albeit in terms of refinement? I have a feeling that the 3020's are the "sweet spot" if you will of the QA line of bookshelfs. Just from what I have garnered reading here and there. Could very well be wrong, but I sure would love to find out. However, the Concept 20's are more expensive and my money is a bit tight right now. Perhaps, I may check them out on the future.

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do you suspect that the Concept 20's would bring it all to another level albeit in terms of refinement? I have a feeling that the 3020's are the "sweet spot" if you will of the QA line of bookshelfs. Just from what I have garnered reading here and there. Could very well be wrong, but I sure would love to find out. However, the Concept 20's are more expensive and my money is a bit tight right now. Perhaps, I may check them out on the future. Phil
I am suspect of them being head and shoulders different than the 3020.

With the C20 you are paying for their Gelcore cabinet, and high-gloss finish, with some minor tweak to the crossover. I expect them to sound a little cleaner and do better at higher above average volume levels. But that still does not increase the overall resolution of the drivers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am suspect of them being head and shoulders different than the 3020.

With the C20 you are paying for their Gelcore cabinet, and high-gloss finish, with some minor tweak to the crossover. I expect them to sound a little cleaner and do better at higher above average volume levels. But that still does not increase the overall resolution of the drivers.
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case. That is why I say that the 3020's are the true gem of the bunch in terms of value/performance. Might get around to checking out the 3020's myself when funds allow. Right now, trying to get my hands on a set of the new Wharfedale Diamond 11.1's as we speak. Of course, that is the last thing that I need given that I have (3) sets of bookshelfs already. None of which I want to part with. But, I only have so much room like anyone else.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, QA should pay you for this well written and thought out review. I can tell you did not rush into it and put a lot of work into it. Kudos to you! Just saying..........

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, QA should pay you for this well written and thought out review. I can tell you did not rush into it and put a lot of work into it. Kudos to you! Just saying........
Well, they could send me the Concept 20 to check put and maybe prove me wrong.:cool: -- however, I am not expecting that.

WireCutter did not think enough of the Concept 20 to rate them high based on price.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, while I still overall prefer the Digital Phase speakers -- they were sold today, the new owner is going to use them for playing back vinyl.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, they could send me the Concept 20 to check put and maybe prove me wrong.:cool: -- however, I am not expecting that.

WireCutter did not think enough of the Concept 20 to rate them high based on price.
You know I bet if you forward a copy of this review to them that QA may just take you up on your offer. That is the least they could do for you. Maybe even let you keep them a bit longer before you write it all up. Was going to mention this to you. BTW, do you think that the 3020's would work well for desktop use in the near-field? Just curious as to your thoughts on that. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, do you think that the 3020's would work well for desktop use in the near-field? Just curious as to your thoughts on that. Thanks!
Yes, they should work fine on desk-top, give them about 6 inches from the back wall, or use the port plugs and 12 to 18 inches from the side-walls

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, they should work fine on desk-top, give them about 6 inches from the back wall, or use the port plugs and 12 to 18 inches from the side-walls
Thanks for the info. Will keep all of this in mind. There are (3) sets of the 3010's for only $150 shipped each! But, none in Walnut. I bet the 3010's would be good as well for rear duties. Maybe even as front height speakers. Here is a link:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-q-acoustics-3010-in-matte-graphite-color-2017-08-15-speakers

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the info. Will keep all of this in mind. There are (3) sets of the 3010's for only $150 shipped each! But, none in Walnut. I bet the 3010's would be good as well for rear duties. Maybe even as front height speakers. Here is a link:
While the smaller 3010 tends to have a somewhat happy bump and a smiley curve, they are still within a +/- 2.22 db window from 200 to 10 khz with a -6db bass of 66 hz -- so they would be nice for surrounds or front heights

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
While the smaller 3010 tends to have a somewhat happy bump and a smiley curve, they are still within a +/- 2.22 db window from 200 to 10 khz with a -6db bass of 66 hz -- so they would be nice for surrounds or front heights
Could you provide a link to those measurements? Thanks

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If I were still into HT, then the 3010's no doubt would be a good option for rears/front heights. But, I am not too concerned w/HT anymore. Never have cared much for multi-channel music listening either. As such, no need for rears of any kind. That is a good deal on the 3010's though.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis