Playing SACD on UBP-X700

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's Under the Blu Ray player language then Dolby Atmos

It's the AVR that won't show Dolby options when I select movie. All I see there is stereo and multi ch. Ugh!!
What input is the Sony using?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I was able to set the Blu player to Dolby Atmos yah!

But definitely the Marantz is not giving me option to select Dolby when I hit movie

Only options are stereo and multi ch

What am I missing on the AVR??
Sounds like your input is still LPCM rather than bitstream from the bluray player, is this using a bluray disc with Atmos soundtrack selected?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Sounds like your input is still LPCM rather than bitstream from the bluray player, is this using a bluray disc with Atmos soundtrack selected?
Yes

I have the Blu player connected to Avr via input DVD

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes

I have the Blu player connected to Avr via input DVD
It would be what the bluray player is playing and whether disc or streaming app....any hdmi input on the Marantz should be the same....

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
It would be what the bluray player is playing and whether disc or streaming app....any hdmi input on the Marantz should be the same....
Apple TV to media player input on Avr

Blu Ray to DVD input on Avr

That's not the issue. The issue is I'm not getting Dolby Atmos from Avr

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's not the issue. The issue is I'm not getting Dolby Atmos from Avr
Are you sure? Dolby Atmos is catching on but not all material has it. Also, even with an Atmos Blu Ray your Atmos speakers won't be doing very much during playback. They only play when there's a reason for them like when stuff is flying overhead. I think some folks feel they should be playing something for the entire program and that just isn't the case.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. Any input should work. I’m just trying to check every box.

I only bought my 700 after finding out my PS3 didn’t do Atmos. Too old I guess lol

Anyway, it was set to auto out of the box so after I verified that, and tried a disk I had no issues at all. He selected the Atmos track on the disk, but it’s still outputting pcm. So I think he should restart it and/or update the firmware.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you sure? Dolby Atmos is catching on but not all material has it. Also, even with an Atmos Blu Ray your Atmos speakers won't be doing very much during playback. They only play when there's a reason for them like stuff flying overhead. I think some folks feel they should be playing something for the entire program and that just isn't the case.
I think you’re right about expectations but his display is clearly showing multichannel in PCM.

Also, height speakers also work when phantom image objects into the room. It works on XYZ axes, and not only for overhead sound.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you’re right about expectations but his display is clearly showing multichannel in PCM.

Also, height speakers also work when phantom image objects into the room. It works on XYZ axes, and not only for overhead sound.
Gotcha. I just replied to that one post because I didn't feel like slogging through the previous 4 pages, lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha. I just replied to that one post because I didn't feel like slogging through the previous 4 pages, lol.
Lol. Understood. It’s building fast! And still not getting solved...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I only bought my 700 after finding out my PS3 didn’t do Atmos. Too old I guess lol

Anyway, it was set to auto out of the box so after I verified that, and tried a disk I had no issues at all. He selected the Atmos track on the disk, but it’s still outputting pcm. So I think he should restart it and/or update the firmware.
Yeah my PS3 definitely didn't have Atmos, heck it couldn't even do Dolby TrueHD and 3D simultaneously.

So the 700 has no actual bitstream setting?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah my PS3 definitely didn't have Atmos, heck it couldn't even do Dolby TrueHD and 3D simultaneously.

So the 700 has no actual bitstream setting?
Nope. It’s pcm or auto. I thought that was weird but...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nope. It’s pcm or auto. I thought that was weird but...
My Sony bluray players (S5100/S6700) I thought still have a bitstream setting until I just checked, but no just the auto or pcm thing :) Still thinking of PS3 I guess.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have an s3100 in my bedroom. I believe that only has pcm and auto as well. I have to check now...

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Are you sure? Dolby Atmos is catching on but not all material has it. Also, even with an Atmos Blu Ray your Atmos speakers won't be doing very much during playback. They only play when there's a reason for them like when stuff is flying overhead. I think some folks feel they should be playing something for the entire program and that just isn't the case.
But shouldn't it at least say Dolby Atmos and NOT multi ch??

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

Is PCM also multi ch?
I'm confused

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But shouldn't it at least say Dolby Atmos and NOT multi ch??
Yes. So something isn’t right still. Did you update firmware?

Is PCM also multi ch?
I'm confused
Basically yes. I ran my old pre Atmos setup in pcm for a long time. Atmos is decoded in the AVR while pcm is decoded in the player. Same sounds but unpacked by different components.

So, we still need to get your BD player to send bitstream. Something is off, so I would update the firmware. It’s up on top of the settings iirc.

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Yes. So something isn’t right still. Did you update firmware?

Basically yes. I ran my old pre Atmos setup in pcm for a long time. Atmos has to be decoded in the BD player, not the AVR so that’s why it’s bitstream. It’s decoded, and sent out whet pcm is sent raw basically, and decoded in the AVR. Same sounds but unpacked by different components.

So, we still need to get your BD player to send bitstream. Something is off, so I would update the firmware. It’s up on top of the settings iirc.
Yes it states that it's up to date

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis