Playing SACD on UBP-X700

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
But shouldn't it at least say Dolby Atmos and NOT multi ch??
Don't listen to me, I skimmed too much and missed all the troubleshooting you guys already did. Bill and HD are gonna know more than I do when it comes to Atmos stuff.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Should I be checking the Marantz to see if bitstream is checked for the DVD input??

Is there such a setting

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Should I be checking the Marantz to see if bitstream is checked for the DVD input??

Is there such a setting

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is PCM also multi ch?
I'm confused
Multichannel pcm (lpcm sometimes called) is where the player has already decoded Dolby/DTS/whatever the movie is encoded in.....multi ch is how Denon and Marantz avrs at least show the incoming signal as pcm. Otherwise, if you bitstreamed the signal to the avr without decoding the avr would be tasked with decoding and would indicate what it was....Dolby Digital (DD), Dolby Digital Plus (DD+, which can carry Atmos metadata whereas Dolby Digital cannot), or Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos (the latter two are lossless codecs that ARC you used before couldn't handle).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Which movie is it? Are you sure the disc has an Atmos soundtrack?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I did order a copy but comes next week. My setup is x800 with Yamaha 2060. I did notice some 4K titles default to wrong sound format. But on Sony remote you can push “audio” button on remote to flip thru all the formats on the fly.
Sony must be set to auto.
I know there was a thread several months ago with @Danzilla31 with his install of x700 with his Denon 4400 but I don’t recall if he had any special setting at the AVR.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I did order a copy but comes next week. My setup is x800 with Yamaha 2060. I did notice some 4K titles default to wrong sound format. But on Sony remote you can push “audio” button on remote to flip thru all the formats on the fly.
Sony must be set to auto.
I know there was a thread several months ago with @Danzilla31 with his install of x700 with his Denon 4400 but I don’t recall if he had any special setting at the AVR.
Pretty sure Fred is using the 4K disk, and I did ask if he selected the Atmos track. He said, yes he was able to do that. Even still, with a regular bd, it doesn’t show up as multichannel PCM. Waiting to see if a reset fixed it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Pretty sure Fred is using the 4K disk, and I did ask if he selected the Atmos track. He said, yes he was able to do that. Even still, with a regular bd, it doesn’t show up as multichannel PCM. Waiting to see if a reset fixed it.
Not sure but maybe the AVR would also prevent Atmos if not enough speakers were setup too. But you have to get Bitstream first, agreed.

The x700 does have 2 hdmi outs so maybe an audio setting in Sony might be pointed to wrong hdmi out?

I’m also waiting for my copy of John Wick chapter 3. :)

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Guys I am sorry if this was missed along the way, I have a 5.1 setup and no Dolby Atmos speakers setup yet.

Is this the reason the AVR will not display Dolby Atmos when I hit menu?

I assumed it would list the highest quality nonetheless but perhaps I would need a setup under the AVR speaker setup as Dolby Atmos for the AVR to properly display ?

Anyhow, is Multi CH PCM the next default (Best) Audio available?

Thanks

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Guys I am sorry if this was missed along the way, I have a 5.1 setup and no Dolby Atmos speakers setup yet.

I assumed it would list the highest quality nonetheless but perhaps I would need a setup under the AVR speaker setup as Dolby Atmos for the AVR to properly display ?

Thanks
Think look in your manual for Atmos under sound modes. It may be a requirement to have enough speakers.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Think look in your manual for Atmos under sound modes. It may be a requirement to have enough speakers.
So in my case, what would be the optimal format the AVR and/or Media Streaming (ATV4K) would use to output Audio?

Is Multi CH PCM best option in my case?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks
Oopsies! In my mind you had 5.1.2. Facepalm.....
Anyway, you should still be able to select the Atmos track. The Marantz OSD will still show “input-Dolby trueHD”. Not sure what output will show...maybe Dolby trueHD 5.1, but it WILL show the active speakers in any case, and will downmix accordingly.

So...afaik, the only reason it will show pcm multichannel is if the Sony is not set to output bitstream. I think for Fred it would be beneficial for the Marantz to show the corresponding info and not multichannel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis